FWB100

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Shooting Bloke

FWB100

Post by Shooting Bloke »

Please provide any opinions on the FWB100. I have the strength and stamina to pump it rather than needing a PCP.
kevinweiho

FWB100

Post by kevinweiho »

Shooting Bloke:

I don't have a FWB100, but i do have a 103.

Do you shoot just for fun or you're into serious 10 meter shooting?

If you're competing against people using PCP's, you're
not in the same level as they are.

Kevho
Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

And how about using the search function? There are tons of posts about the 100, vs. the K58 or vs. the Izzy...
Rover

Post by Rover »

I disagree with kevinweiho. You are fully competitive with an SSP. Myself and several friends all shoot AA (Master) class scores using K58s.

If you believe some of the posters here, you will drop in a sweaty heap from exhaustion due to the frantic pumping of a SSP before you are halfway through a match. I'm sure it's true for THEM.

The FWB 100 is like the rest of the FWBs, a finely crafted target pistol that will give you complete satisfaction. It will equal the velocity of a Pardini K58.

I do suggest trying the lighter pellets first to give you another 30-40fps, but the heavier pellets will work fine.

Go forth and kick butt!!!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:I disagree with kevinweiho. You are fully competitive with an SSP. Myself and several friends all shoot AA (Master) class scores using K58s.
It really depends what you understand by Kevinweiho's comment "serious 10 meter shooting".

Does that mean for example club, regional, national or top international levels.

I can easily imagine a K58 being used for scores in the 560 region. Many shooters would however find those scores a lot easier to shoot with the reduced effort required by a PCP gun.

Scores in the 580s however, which are required just to get in to the final of most World Cups would be much rarer with an SSP. That could obviously be because most shooters at that level are shooting PCP guns.

It really depends how far you want to go in shooting. If you want to get to the very top then use a gun that will take you there; PCP or possibly CO2.

If your ambitions are at a lower level then the increased effort required to shoot an SSP might not stop you from shooting winning scores there.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Rover I don't think you should take it as a slight against SSP's. SSP's are capable of shooting good scores, any score that can be shot with an PCP can be shot with an SSP. The difference is the PCP will most often attain those scores more easily. It has very little to do with effort and becoming a sweat mass, it has more to do with a shooting rhythm and interrupting it. The same can be said for shooting on crank target returns vs electric target returns vs electronic targets.

I'll clarify my position I'm talking it makes a difference with good shooters 570 ish maybe 560'ish. For club level shooters shooting in the 520's-540's won't make that big a difference just because there are other bigger errors going on.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Sorry, I just don't buy it. I'll grant you a couple of shooters at the highest level have picked up a point or two since I was "hot", but I really doubt that there has been any large increase in overall scores with the advent of the gas guns. Just look at the ENTIRE set of scores from a World Cup. I doubt also that those shooters are reading this forum, so what is the target audience here?

The SSPs have the ergonomics, sights, and triggers to do the job. As I said, I have AA shooter friends using them and we have seen NO difference in our scores against the gas guns which we own as well. I wish I COULD buy some higher scores.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Rover:

When you're competing in the big leagues, (World Cup, Olympics, etc...) you simply don't see shooters using a SSP anymore.

However, i do have to admit that the FWB SSP rifles are the exceptions. Well, thats another story...

Kevho
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

kevinweiho wrote:Rover:

When you're competing in the big leagues, (World Cup, Olympics, etc...) you simply don't see shooters using a SSP anymore.

However, i do have to admit that the FWB SSP rifles are the exceptions. Well, thats another story...

Kevho
and which shooter at a world cup or olympics finished in the top 10/20/40/whatever in the last few decades?

It's not that a good SSP lacks the accuracy, it's just that there are easier ways of doing things...
Sure, a 1960s car can be driven from NY to LA (or Sydney>Perth), and people do it - but it's easier in a modern car.

edited p/s
but then I'm using a H208 for 25m rimfire events and a Walther for CF
Last edited by Spencer on Wed May 05, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

And just to throw another spanner into the works, the current WR scores are not more than the the odd point away from those shot with the spring FWB 65 in the 70's, just look at the ladies 40 shot records from then to now, couple of points on the same targets.
The PCP's are less physical and don't interupt the rythem, but it's not made much difference.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Sir, you've made my point.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:...the current WR scores are not more than the the odd point away from those shot with the spring FWB 65 in the 70's.....
Out of interest, can you tell us what the AP60 and AP40 records were from that time.

They are however largely irelevant to this discussion. By their very nature World Records are extremely rare and shot by extremely talented shooters at close to their peak performance in a limited number of matches.

At a slightly lower, but still elite level, scores have improved dramatically over the years. As an example, during the last 4 year Olympic cycle an AP60 score of 582 was lower than the average score needed to get into the final at a World Cup match. Obviously equipment improvements are not the entire story; training methods, incentives and range improvements have also played their part.

We have already heard about the scarcity of SSP use at world level. I can only think of 3 possible reasons:-
1) SSPs are not capable of shooting high scores.
2) It is easier to consistently shoot high scores with PCPs.
3) Shooters are being paid to use PCPs.

I am quite prepared to accept that point 1) might not be true.

I do not accept that point 3) is a factor. I will accept that some shooters at the very top will be paid to use a particular manufacturer's gun and that others will be given special prices (maybe zero) on guns. I cannot believe however that if you were to offer an extra $5000 per year to any of the top 20 air pistol shooters to give up their PCPs and change to SSPs, that they would accept it.

That just leaves point 2). "It is easier to consistently shoot high scores with PCPs."
Rover

Post by Rover »

The start of this whole thing was a guy asking if an FWB 100 was any good.

I think it is.

Point 3...I personally know and was told by one World Cup shooter that they received a free gun from the manufacturer.

Point 2...I don't know. In my experience and some of my friends there was no difference going from one gun to another.

Point 1...In my testing there was no definitive accuracy difference in the (type) guns I tested.

The scores I referred to were the entire match. Some of those shooters SUCKED and most good club level shooters would have made a decent showing. They would NOT make the Finals, but they would have been playing with the big boys.

I think the guy will shoot well enough for his needs with a SSP.
Shooting Bloke

Post by Shooting Bloke »

Thanks for the opinions. I am a club shooter with a best score of 525. I think the FWB100 will be fine.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Boy, we got chatty about that one.

Your gun is easily capable of taking you to far higher scores without handicap. I recommend that you try the lighter, cheaper RWS Basic or Hobby pellets first.

Spend some time getting the grips and trigger "just so". It makes life much easier. Also, make up a box of rags for a pellet trap and practice at home. Your scores will quickly climb.
Shooting Bloke

Post by Shooting Bloke »

Rover - wish I was allowed to shoot at home - Mr. Government and Mr. Police say no to this in my land.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Shooting Bloke:

Are you talking about air pistol inside your house? Unless you have a situation where close neighbours are somehow going to call the cops, this would seem to be a harmless enough practice.

After all, can't you plink in your backyard with an air rifle? How would ap inside be different?[/img]
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well SB,
Since you are going to be doing holding exercises and dry firing, I would set the target box up anyway. You never know when you might have an accidental discharge of a sleeve or two of pellets.
peterz

Post by peterz »

After all, can't you plink in your backyard with an air rifle?
In Fairfax County, VA, USA you are not allowed to plink in your back yard. A very large fraction of the county is a total no-discharge are, extending to BB guns and children's archery sets.

You can build a range inside your home without problems so long as you don't annoy the neighbors so much that they call the cops because they are hearing gunfire.[/quote]
lastman

Post by lastman »

Has anyone ever put one of these pistol in a ransom rest to see whether they are actually not able to shoot as well as the more modern pistol.

Results would be interesting.