smallbore scope recommendations

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Sawyer

smallbore scope recommendations

Post by Sawyer »

Give me your recommendations for a smallbore prone scope. Anything goes. What have you used, what do you like, and why? Anyone using a Nikon Monarch for example?
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Oh, come on. I know there are readers of this board shooting American prone and smallbore position...
sandy22

Re: smallbore scope recommendations

Post by sandy22 »

Sawyer wrote:(1)Give me your recommendations for a smallbore prone scope. Anything goes. (2)What have you used, (3)what do you like, and (4)why? (5)Anyone using a Nikon Monarch for example?
1. T-36

2. Leupold M8 20x, Redfield 6400, Lyman STS, Lyman AA 32x, Unertl 1 1/2

3&4. Leupold - best combination of quality & functionality & Unertl - looks the coolest & works o.k.

5. Not me
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

I have used both Unertl and Lyman external adjustment scopes for smallbore, and they are great for prone. Weight became a problem in standing, so have switched to Burris 8x32AR. Lighter with good optics, and allows me to dial it up for prone.

I have a Nikon Monarch on a highpower rifle (250 Savage AI) and like the rings for shooting some light bench and 100 shoot offhand match. Good optics and seems to track fine. Kind of like shooting an aperture, but with better visability.
Freepistol

Re: smallbore scope recommendations

Post by Freepistol »

sandy22 wrote:
Sawyer wrote:(1)Give me your recommendations for a smallbore prone scope. Anything goes. (2)What have you used, (3)what do you like, and (4)why? (5)Anyone using a Nikon Monarch for example?
1. T-36

2. Leupold M8 20x, Redfield 6400, Lyman STS, Lyman AA 32x, Unertl 1 1/2

3&4. Leupold - best combination of quality & functionality & Unertl - looks the coolest & works o.k.

5. Not me
2. Redfield 3200 {Still have it}
4. Redfield 6400 wasn't invented yet. There are many good light weight choices available today.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Thank you for the responses thus far. I borrowed a Leupold Vari-X and liked it. Also have a Redfield 3200 but it's longer and heavier than I like. Time for me to buy a smaller, lighter one but I want at least 24X and maybe more.

I may end up back at the Leupolds but I know there are other options out there, so I'm just curious about other shooters' personal experiences.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

The 4200 series Bushnells are really good scopes. I think they are in the same class as Leupold. I can afford either, and I prefer the Bushnell for some applications. Certainly is a lot of bang for the buck.
Finprof

Post by Finprof »

Leupold used to make a BR and BR-D model in 24x and 36x. They are designed from benchrest shooting, but for prone indoor I can't think of anything better. They are still the preferred scope for silhouette shooters.
For a variable the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR is the standard. If you are using less than 20X that would be the recommendation.

Post by Guest »

Check out Vortex Optics. They are a new kid on the block, but the few owners I'v talked to seemed pleased.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/

scopes

Post by Guest »

TerryKuz, have you tried their illuminated mil-dot reticle?
TerryKuz

Re: scopes

Post by TerryKuz »

Anonymous wrote:TerryKuz, have you tried their illuminated mil-dot reticle?
No, I do not have experience with them. I did have a 6500 with the non illuminated mildot, and it was really nice. In a nice way, I am a snob on good glass, and Bushnell (Baush and Lomb) makes some good stuff. I also enjoy Leupold, Swarovski, and Leica. I am proud to admit I enjoy good optics, and a crisp trigger. Nice vice to have.

Post by Guest »

I get that completely. I may try Mueller, a new outfit from Michigan. Great specs and reviews in a 8-25 x50 at a lower cost, with an illuminated dot, which I like.
What I really want is about a 14-32x with that reticle, at less than $700, but that does not exist.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Here's a crazy idea for you. It worked for me.

A very experienced (and wealthy) smallbore shooter suggested I look into a 36X fixed power BSA scope. They are not manufactured consistently, but obtainable on Ebay and a couple of other outlets. THey can be bought for the pricely sum of $75. I bought two - one for 50 yards, one for 100 yards, and mounted each one on a 6811 mounting plate. They are also 1/8 MOA with target knobs. I have used scopes that allowed a little more light in, and my last scope was a Nikon Monarch - but these two scopes have been wonderful. No more clicking between 50 and 100 when you can afford to have two scopes! The 36X is a bit high in power, but it works for me.

Now if I could afford a second metallic rear sight!
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Todd, I like that idea! Though I did use a BSA once and it sucked royally-- the zero wandered something fierce. But one for each distance, if you can get two of some scope for cheap, that's a good idea.
plinker

Post by plinker »

If I could afford it, I'd buy one of the old Unertl target scopes. I've looked on Gunbroker and every once in a while a nice one pops up - but never when I'm flush with cash - just my luck!

There's another guy on the internet who sells Unertls and his prices are fair (but not cheap either!). Sorry but I can't remember his name. If you search for Unertl scopes, his name will come up.

(Or you could wait until the new Redfields come out and give them a try!)
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I'd go for Unertl but I don't like all that extra weight out there for shooting position, or even prone when it's really windy. I prefer less of a sail in the wind, so a newer design, compact scope is what I'm looking for.
jhawk

scopes

Post by jhawk »

I like the Weaver T24. The microtrac adjustments are very accurate, and repeatable, and the scope is not too heavy. I have an older T-16 that is also a good choice. They are not as clear as the Leupold scopes but almost, and not quite as expensive.
Jake

Smallbore prone scope

Post by Jake »

I have a Lyman STS 20x that I used to win the Utah state gallery championship in 62 on a very reliable Rem Mod, 37. It was also mounted on a Martini single shot Imp. 219 zipper, which took out numerous woodchucks at 300 yds plus, this with an Ackley barrel.
The scope has a 1/8 min. dot with very fine crosshairs. I've always sworn buy it and never had to swear at it.

It still looks like new and I have the wood box it came in. I might part with it, but would have to disciuss it with my son. D.F. Jacobsen
jacode@q.com
Boblor

smallbore prone scope anything goes

Post by Boblor »

If anything goes, how about one of the March scopes. Lots of dollars but they do have excellent optics. And they are relatively light.

I have used unertl, Lyman scopes for prone and Nightforce.

bob L.
MNshooter

Post by MNshooter »

Hi:

You might want to try a a Super Sniper from swfa.com. They come in 10X, 16X & 20X for $299.95. They are good inexpensive target scopes with good wind-age and elevation knobs. If you put 1/4 min on or take it off that's what you get. I have on one my high power prone rifle and I have had no trouble since I bought it.