Need advice on a small 3P Sporter Rifle

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Baili

Need advice on a small 3P Sporter Rifle

Post by Baili »

We recently started a new sporter air rifle team at our club and we could use some equipment advice. We are working with a new shooter that is very small in stature. He shoots well in the prone and kneeling positions but as really struggling to support the rifle offhand. Even with a S200 the LOP is too long and the fore end too heavy for him.

Is there a shorter and lighter approved sporter rifle out there? Can we cut a stock down and stay legal? If we can cut a stock, is there somewhere we can buy a used stock or even a used rifle? I hate to cut one of our brand new rifles.

Thanks in advance for you help.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Have you checked his stance?
I thought my FWB300 was WAY too heavy for me, but after my coach rebuilt my stance, it was just fine. It turned out I was trying to hold up the rifle with my muscles, vs letting the rifle pull down on the bones and tendons w/o using any muscle to hold it up.

Try a used 853.
It is fairly light, but I don't know how light in comparison to an S200T.
The wood stock s/b easy for a gunsmith to cut and shorten.
The S200 might be front heavy because the LoP is too long for the shooter.
The only thing is the 853 is a SSP, so there is the extra physical effort of the charging handle vs the S200 w/o the charging handle.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The S200 stock is longer than the older XSV-40 stock.
I have a small nine year old shooting an XSV-40 with the buttplate removed ... bare wood as the butt.
Baili

Post by Baili »

Thank you both for your replies. I think LoP may be the answer here. The rifle isn't that heavy but the length makes it feel that way to him. His stance would be pretty good if he could reach the fore end with his left hand. As it is he can't get a good skeletal position and is supporting the rifle with his muscles as Gary noted.

Any idea where I can find a XSV-40 stock or rifle?

Thanks
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Out of curiosity, what is his measured LoP?
I can measure my 853 and see just how much the stock would have to be cut, if you get an 853.
Baili

Post by Baili »

I have not measured his exact size but he has rather narrow shoulders. We did let him try one of the new Air Force Edge rifles that one of the team members owns. We shortened the stock down to less than 12" and that helped. That rifle weighs 6.75 lb and when collapsed the center of mass is just forward of the trigger. I wish we could buy one of these rifles for him but it's not in the budget right now.

Thanks again for your help. This kid is very enthusiastic and we really want to help him out.
TWP

Post by TWP »

We cut the stocks down on a couple of our Daisy 888's for real small shooters.

If you drill a couple of 1/4" holes in the stock before you cut the chunk off you can then glue and pin the piece back in place if you want to at a later date.
Peakconti

small rifle

Post by Peakconti »

try a remington 540 used. My son is very small and had the same problem. This is a fairly small rifle. I picked on up for under $300. It had an acessary rail, sights and adjustable but plate. I noticed that MTGuns. has a picture of one on its used inventory. I purchased an Ansh 64 from them for my daughter and was very satisfied with the level of help they offered
jhmartin

Re: small rifle

Post by jhmartin »

Peakconti wrote:try a remington 540 used. ...
Whoops, they might get in a bit of hot water firing the 540 on a club AR range

For a smallbore rifle program ... would work just fine
Peakconti

oops

Post by Peakconti »

sorry about that, guess thats what happens when you reply in the middle of the night, yes that would create quite a stir when you child shoots a .22 during an air rifle practice that may be taking place in some sort of large room.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Air Arms S200 and cut that stock down until it fits. That will also place the center of ballance closer to the shooters and should work much better for a small shooter. Good Shooting Bill Horton