Shooting Coat Recommendations???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

chadflys

Shooting Coat Recommendations???

Post by chadflys »

Im a beginner to the position shooting. I just got an Anschuts 1810. I will soon be ordering a Kurt Thune II sling. I figured since the sling seems to be the most important tool I wouldn't take a shortcut there.

On the other hand....what would be a good shooting coat to start with that wont break the bank? I'll be shooting mostly prone since there are no position competitors at my club. I will be doing some position shooting for myself...so hopefully there is a coat that will do both if need be.

Thanks,

Chad
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

There is a good intro coat in the buy and sell section of this forum...

Post by Guest »

Should have bought the new Centra sling....

Post by Guest »

Where do I find the centra sling. I have not ordered yet...

Chad
smckenna03

Sling

Post by smckenna03 »

Are you talking about the MEC sling? If so we have them in stock for a right handed shooter, and have the left handed ones one order.

Thanks,
Shawn
Try&Bom, Inc
plinker

Re: Shooting Coat Recommendations???

Post by plinker »

chadflys wrote:Im a beginner to the position shooting. I just got an Anschuts 1810. I will soon be ordering a Kurt Thune II sling. I figured since the sling seems to be the most important tool I wouldn't take a shortcut there.

On the other hand....what would be a good shooting coat to start with that wont break the bank? I'll be shooting mostly prone since there are no position competitors at my club. I will be doing some position shooting for myself...so hopefully there is a coat that will do both if need be.

Thanks,

Chad
Chad,

I prefer the Gehmann ISSF style sling, but that's just a personal thing. I don't know if a Kurt Thune sling would make a difference in my shooting or not, but I just like what I like!

I'm shopping for a new coat as well and still haven't settled on any one particular brand. I'm not shooting much ISSF any more so I'm not so adverse to a coat with more padding, etc. I do like my coat to fit a little looser when I'm shooting, so the ISSF approved coats are still a consideration.

I'm looking at the coats offered by Creedmore and Champion's Choice, and I'm leaning a little more on the Champion's Choice side because I like the fact that the selection is a little better. Kurt Thune coats are out of my price range, but the Anschutz coats from CC look like a good deal to me.

I still miss my old Hawkeye leather coat from my collegiate shooting days!
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Monard has some good shooting coats
plinker

Post by plinker »

jmkwyo wrote:Monard has some good shooting coats
yes, they have nice stuff, however, the OP is a beginning shooter and I'm wondering if he/she should be spending major bucks acquiring the "top-of-the-line" equipment.

Having the best equipment is nice, but it doesn't always translate into having the best scores when you are first starting out. I'd spend as much time as possible on the range practicing (and maybe borrowing someone else's coat) and then deciding what is best FOR YOU.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

For sure, always best to shop around, but they do have 4-5 types of coats and prices...
smckenna03

Monard Coats

Post by smckenna03 »

Hello Plinker,

We have models for starters and Juniors that start as low as $160, and go up from there. Our Most popular model for beginners is our Standard at $285.

Shawn

Re: Sling

Post by Guest »

smckenna03 wrote:Are you talking about the MEC sling? If so we have them in stock for a right handed shooter, and have the left handed ones one order.

Thanks,
Shawn
Try&Bom, Inc
Left and right can be swapped by taking the arm loop offn and flipping it over.

There's something you didn't know!
smckenna03

Sling

Post by smckenna03 »

Hello Guest,

After looking at the MEC sling, I see how you can switch it over, with a bit of work, however MEC offers a Left handed Sling, and the cuff is the correct way for your arm, as well as the self adjusting part of the sling.

Kind regards,
Shawn
dmf

Post by dmf »

jmkwyo wrote:Monard has some good shooting coats
I bought the standard coat & pants about 3 months ago. This was my first time using a proper shooting coat & pants and my scores jumped considerably after a few practices. I wear them about 4 hours per week and it works well for me.

Just so you know, when I was researching I narrowed it down to the Monard and the Anschutz standards under $300 price range. Monard won because I found a size that seemed to fit slightly better for my height and build. This could be different for you or somebody else. I think I liked the Anschutz colours better but they don't help you shoot any better (do they?). :)

Dave

Post by Guest »

Chad,

When I started out I bought the lowest end Kurt Thune jacket, it fit very well and if I remember correctly wasnt all that expensive. Remember you want an inexpensive coat but something that fits right and gives you the proper amount of support. After looking through jackets at good prices with that support, the lower end Thune is a good one, the Monards are all at pretty decent prices for their range, and the Gehmann ISSF type jacket is also a good beginner one. You shouldnt go wrong with any of those and are all easy to find.

As far as slings go, I plan on purchasing a MEC sling in the near future after 3 years of an Anschutz Professional that ran out of length.

-M.Liuzza