What to wear under the jacket and pants?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

AnthonyT

What to wear under the jacket and pants?

Post by AnthonyT »

This is probably a really dumb question, but what does one wear under the shooting jacket and pants? Reason I ask is that back when I was a junior (20 or so years ago) we all just wore sweats under our jackets. Sometimes 2 sweat shirts. I didn't have shooting pants and just wore blue jeans (good thing that new ISSF rule wasn't around then!). I'm not sure our clothes were ever really ISSF legal, but we shot mostly NRA matches. Those that were ISSF didn't have anyone there that seemed to care to measure our clothes.

I know that there are "underwear" suits made by Anschutz and such. Do you just wear these or do you under layer them with something else like a set of Under Armor?

Thanks, Anthony

Post by Guest »

I still wear sweatshirts under the jacket. Under the pants I wear training tights.
methosb

Post by methosb »

There are a bunch of different shooting brand underwear. Some are woolen, some are thiner compression materials. Just have a look in the clothing sections of some of the online stores. Peronally I just wear Skins. I don't need the padding on the elbows and they work as far as temp regulation goes.

I think anything that keeps you comfortable and doesn't bunch up so as to get in the way is fine. If it bunches up around the joints you will not be able to keep a consistent position. If it bunches up around the arms it will get in the way of the sling or the bending of your arm in standing. So you want the clothes to be almost, if not, skin tight. And don't worry about looking funny wearing tights, almost everyone else does :P
AnthonyT

Post by AnthonyT »

I'll be shooting mainly 10m air rifle so I am not too worried about the elbow and knee padding either. The problem I always had with sweatshirts was that at times they would get bunched at the elbow. Not always, but when they did it was a major PITA.
Brian Carstensen

Post by Brian Carstensen »

Get some under armor it will keep you cool and wont restrict movement or add and support.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

For International rules I wear sweat pants and a Sauer shooting sweater under my shooting jacket and pants. For non International matches I forego the sweat pants and just wear my blue jeans.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"