Cheek Placement on Standing AR

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Hon

Cheek Placement on Standing AR

Post by Hon »

When you place your cheek onto the cheek piece in standing position,

1) do you place the cheek bone directly onto the cheek piece with minimum flesh between the bone and the cheek piece?

2) Or do you use your face muscle to act as a cushion under the cheek bone?

I don't you if you guys understand what I am trying to describe. I can do both with no. 1 giving me a more acute sensing of the placement but a bit painful after a session.

No.2 is more comfortable but the feeling is more springy.

What do you guys do?

Thank you.
EJ

EJ

Post by EJ »

That is completely up to you to decide. I have skin in between because the feel is better this way but everybody do it different. As long as it is possible to get the same contact every time, train during longer sessions and feel comfortable in position it works.

/EJ
talladega

Post by talladega »

I try to make sure I shave a day or two before shooting a match. My beard doesn't allow me to get a good grip on the cheekpiece and if I shave the day of the match it's too much grip.

I dont like having my cheekbone pressed against the cheekpiece. It is not comfortable. I just do whatever is comfortable and allows me to get a good sight picture. Then i try to make sure I do it the same each time. That is the hard part.
Jason

Post by Jason »

talladega wrote:I try to make sure I shave a day or two before shooting a match. My beard doesn't allow me to get a good grip on the cheekpiece and if I shave the day of the match it's too much grip.
Just like all advice off the Internet -- careful what you ask for. I have a piece of the black Anschutz foam on my cheekpiece and I prefer to shave the day of the match as I prefer the firmer grip. Go figure. :)

Jason
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Could also recommend a "kisser", an old term referring to a little spot of anything that you tape to your cheek piece. Use as a reference point that you always put your cheek on the same spot. Often use a little piece of paper folded over and taped down. Just enough so you can feel it with whatever part of your cheek. Makes sure your head is placed in exactly the same place everytime.

Joe
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I'm not sure what muscle you're referring to. I have high cheek bones and not much between them and my skin meaning my cheek piece is higher than normal and a lot of people can't see through my sights with my setup. I would guess that since we're all made differently, this will be a personal preference.