Just bought a new MG2 RF. Will this end in tears?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Leon

Just bought a new MG2 RF. Will this end in tears?

Post by Leon »

After shooting an SP New for 2 years and becoming bored with it, an attack of upgrade-itis has resulted in an order for a new MG2RF - which should be in my hands next week. Will be using it mainly for standard with the occasional fling at rapid fire. I chose the RF version as I'm sure that the attributes such as extra buffering that make it a fine RF gun would translate into being an excellent standard gun as well.

I know there are numerous litanys of Matchguns woes in the TT forum - but surely Matchguns would have fixed reliability and other problems by now?

Messages of support, encouragement & hints welcome...

Or should I have checked myself in for a pyschiatric evaluation instead?

MG2 RF

Post by Guest »

Mine has been 100 % reliable with SK Pistol Match ammo, except for 4 malfunctions during the first 500 rounds. I now have shot over 5000 rounds with a light cleaning every 1000 rounds. Dont need to take it appart, just use q-tips and a bore snake.

Second shot recovery is amazing, like a .22 short.
jbshooter

upgrade-itis

Post by jbshooter »

I've got the same disease - and it'll be an MG2 shortly.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Have no fears Leon...you have bought the best pistol on the planet, and next week will find out how remarkable it really is. I doubt you will ever forget the grin that will appear on your face after the first few shots.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Dont own one myself Leon but I have read all the reviews. Have fun, dont think twice about the investment and enjoy the heck out of it.

Think positive thoughts and remember, the turle makes no progress until it sticks tts' head out.

When you stop grinning, give us all a range report.
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-2

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Most MG-2 pistols, currently produced are probably very reliable.My MG-2 pistol had some teething problems-but after Match Gun Company replaced the problem parts-it has been a very reliable pistol with almost all kinds of Standard Vel and match ammo I feed it.
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-2

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Most MG-2 pistols, currently produced are probably very reliable.My MG-2 pistol had some teething problems-but after Match Gun Company replaced the problem parts-it has been a very reliable pistol with almost all kinds of Standard Vel and match ammo I feed it.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

And, unlike a lot of other top grade pistols, it eats almost every ammo - including CCI SV.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I agree with the posters in this thread - the MG2 with be very likely be a positive experience. I own and early edition MG2, had troubles with it that were resolved with the the help of Matchguns.

Customer Service is great! As well I'm just ordered another MG2 which is a testiment to the fact I beleive in the pistol and the company.

In my mind the service a company provides a shooter is very important. Pardini and MG are top notch for this from my personal experience. which is why I own there products.

Brian
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Tycho wrote:And, unlike a lot of other top grade pistols, it eats almost every ammo - including CCI SV.
Even I, have started to think MG2 (and I have a Morini 102E!!) Can you say that that the RF version does have an edge over the standard version?
In other words, is it worth the extra money or will it be more sensitive to malfunctions? I suppose the E is to be avoided?
Kent
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

I found the MG2RF just a little too heavy for standard pistol for me. It's a lot easier to shoot for longer periods of time with the MG2 -- and you will want to shoot and shoot with this gun! :-)

Yes, I had problems early on with a couple of broken parts leading to an erratic trigger pull that resulted in me sending the upper back to Italy for repair. However, the service was excellent and the gun has been terrific since getting it back. I am really hopeful that it will remain reliable for a long time now.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Just for the information who currently imports the Match Guns into the States??? "Doc"
Leon

Post by Leon »

Tycho wrote:And, unlike a lot of other top grade pistols, it eats almost every ammo - including CCI SV.
That's really good news - seeing as I have over 20,000 of these suckers !
10xs

MG2

Post by 10xs »

I broke my personal best score of 547 in Rapid Fire with a Hammerli 280 using a borrowed MG2 on my first try with the pistol and I scored 561 the following weekend with the same MG2 without any grip modifications. I believe that MG2 is a very nice pistol!
nvalcik

MG2RF

Post by nvalcik »

I bought my MG2 and the RF conversion kit from ISS who imports them into the US. I just got the RF kit and since I bought the aluminum weight it was actually lighter than the MG2 with the standard Steel weight in the front. The RF kit I just got a couple of weeks ago and I am planning on trying it tomorrow. I know the slide on the new conversion kit has been redesigned to keep the extractor spring and ball into the slot since ISS had a spring and ball come out of the slot earlier. Matchguns is clearly improving and evolving their design. My MG2 so far has been very reliable and I have throughly enjoyed shooting it so far.
Philadelphia

Re: MG2RF

Post by Philadelphia »

nvalcik wrote:I bought my MG2 and the RF conversion kit from ISS who imports them into the US.
Do you have a link? I can't find ISS.

Thanks.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

landb

Post by landb »

I believe you will enjoy the MG2 had mine since 2004 #11XX only problem was a broken hammer spring . I would like to try a rapid fire pistol. I did make a comp for mine but took it off. now thinking of making a recoil buffer for it.
Vno

Post by Vno »

You will certainly enjoy your MG2, recoil behavior and adjustment possibilities are excellent. Though, it will take some time to adjust everything to what you prefer. I bought mine 2008 and had some feeding problems in the beginning. Matchguns after sales is the best I have experienced on this business area and problem was solved quickly.

Now my MG2 shoots reliably cheapest bulk ammo (CCI std, Aquila) as well as Lapua and RWS.
nvalcik

RE: MG2 RF

Post by nvalcik »

I took mine out and shot the MG2 RF. I had several problems with the brass not extracting everytime and getting hung in the action. The slide on the RF conversion kit is different in design than the original slide that I have for the regular MG2. Does anyone know if I can just use the original slide that was having no problems while I send the conversion kit back to Matchguns for adjustment? I cannot tell if there are any differences in the slides other than the extractor. Before I put the conversion kit on I had no problems with the MG2 at all for reliability. The extractor design is newer on the RF kit but does not appear to work as well.

I used RWS and T-22 both yesterday and had the exact same problems.