Shooting Jacket Confusion

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bored184

Shooting Jacket Confusion

Post by bored184 »

I am in the market for my first shooting jacket. I would prefer a used jacket in good condition. I have heard that is the way to go. I have my measurements but I can not find a table that will let me know what standard size jacket I would wear. I am 5'11", 155lbs, and my chest measures 37 inches. Is there a table out there?

I am also debating between the Champion Shooters Freeland ISU Leather shooting coat, the Anschutz Standard or the Gehmann ISSF Canvas & Leather Men's Shooting Coat from Champions Choice if I went new.

I will mainly participate in NRA events but I would prefer a jacket that is NRA and ISU legal, if they make such a jacket. The clothing aspect of this sport still confuses me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bored184
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

It depends on what shooting disciplines you want to do.

If its just standing such as air rifle and 3-P I would only use a canvas jacket. The leather/canvas mix can be too flexible and won't give the support you need. If you are just shooting prone, then a leather or leather/canvas jacket would be fine.
A used canvas jacket should be OK as long as it still has some stiffness in it. I found that the Gehmann leather/canvas gave little support in the standing position. So choose carefully.

JSB
Misny

Post by Misny »

If the shooting jacket has buttons, then it is legal for NRA and ISSF. I use my button-up jacket for international air rifle and NRA highpower. The international rules and ISSF rules are the same for clothing and equipment, as far as I know. The NRA highpower rules allow a jacket with straps.