TOZ 35 Mainspring length?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Makarov

TOZ 35 Mainspring length?

Post by Makarov »

I'm going to use wolf 16665 spring (rebound spring for S&W revolver) for my TOZ 35 (mainspring).
It is long, so I have to cut it.
Does anybody knows what is original TOZ 35 mainspring length?
Thaks for all replies!
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Length: 27.5mm Ends closed and ground.

Outside dia.: 5.1mm

Wire dia.: 0.94mm

Number of turns: 13 (approx - because of closed ends)
Last edited by Shooting Kiwi on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
TB

Post by TB »

Why cut it? I recently recieved the same Wolf spring (16lb S&W rebound spring) since my toz suffered from light strikes. Since I put the uncut wolf spring in, there haven't been any problems with light strikes. It works very well.
Popeye

Toz 35 Mainspring

Post by Popeye »

I had a local spring maker make a batch of mainsprings, and the supply of springs varied slightly in length (between 1-2mm) but it did not seem to matter. The original spring I supplied was tested at 32lb of load and so the new batch of springs were all made to this load.

The first spring I used has worked very well with over 150 releases and no light strikes.

I suppose if your new spring works well - don't fix it!
Makarov

Post by Makarov »

New spring 16665 came from wolf www.gunsprings.com today.
Orihginal length is 35mm.
I did cut it to 28mm.
After 50 test shots it was no missfires.
I used to have 10-15 missfires out of 50 shots.
Will see how long this new mainspring last.
Thanks for information and replies!
TB

Post by TB »

Makarov wrote:New spring 16665 came from wolf www.gunsprings.com today.
Orihginal length is 35mm.
I did cut it to 28mm.
After 50 test shots it was no missfires.
I used to have 10-15 missfires out of 50 shots.
Will see how long this new mainspring last.
Thanks for information and replies!
I still don't understand why you cut it, the original 35mm Wolf spring fits without any problems. Are you affraid it will damage your gun if you don't cut it?
Makarov

Post by Makarov »

I believe that harder spring impact will disturb pistol more than lighter spring.
You have to understand it takes time to ignite primer and poweder and an extra time for a bullet to leave 12 " TOZ 35 barrel.
It takes between 0.18-0.28 milliseconds to complete the shot.
My firing pin has been modified and has sharp edge like a razor blade, so it would create a harder impact on primer even withh the light mainspring.
As long as no missfires i will use a lighter spring as possible.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
zoned

Post by zoned »

Makarov wrote:....My firing pin has been modified and has sharp edge like a razor blade, so it would create a harder impact on primer even withh the light mainspring...
It will be exciting when the pin punctures a cartridge. If it was a good idea it would be commonly used.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I bought a batch of the Wolf springs and gave a couple to John Zurek for his TOZ.

Five minutes ago I finished installing one in my own TOZ, since I had been getting an occasional misfire.

I had to use a screwdriver to force down the retaining (1/2 turn) screw because of the tension, but the extra spring length was not a problem.

I had some range pick-up brass and tested the gun in my house with it.

On cocking the spring did not "jam", indicating overlength and the brass was more deeply marked than from the original strike. I WILL offer these to other TOZ users at my gun club.

So there!!!
Popeye

Toz35 Mainspring Specifications

Post by Popeye »

What I have not been able to work out is what parameters are necessary for a substitute spring to work reliably in the Toz35.

My previous post noted that what I believed was an orginal main spring was measured at a 32lb load, and I had springs made to this load, and overall they appear to work. The springs have slightly different lengths (within tolerance of 1-2mm) and are, of course, wound with a fairly exacting diameter to the original spring.

Now the Wolff springs posted by shooters are after market substitute S&W springs set at a 16lb load, and posts indicate that these springs work, and at various cut lengths.

Given this information, I have to ask whether anyone has worked out what specifications are necessary for a substitute Toz35 main spring to work reliably.

This information would be useful as all Toz35 owners need at least one spare main spring when the inevitable happens - light strikes, and given that original springs are not readily available.

Popeye
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I've edited my earlier post (the first response to the questioner) to include the number of turns. Assuming the spring is not made of some fancy Russian unobtainium, but will be made from 'ordinary' spring wire, these parameters probably adequately specify the spring.

If you want to research practical, amateur, spring design and production, try Spring Design and Manufacture by Tubal Cain. A slim paperback, aimed primarily at model engineers.
Makarov

Post by Makarov »

I think only range report will answer questions which mainspring is more suitable for TOZ35 ( original 35mm or cut 28mm).
I will use 28mm mainspring than 35mm.
100 shots for each spring.
Will see how different mainsprings would affect accuracy.
Also, I will use 2 differrennt TOZ35 pistols one with the stock firing pin and another one with modified sharp edge firing pin.
It's gonna be 400 shots total, 200 for each pistol, for 28mm and 35mm spring.
I'll post results as soon as weather permited.
We do have 50" of snow this week, and shooting range has been closed.
FredB

Post by FredB »

Makarov wrote:Will see how different mainsprings would affect accuracy.
Also, I will use 2 differrennt TOZ35 pistols one with the stock firing pin and another one with modified sharp edge firing pin.
If you're comparing for accuracy, and you are using 2 different guns, I would suggest that the firing pin shape will be among the least important differing factors.

FredB
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Will see how different mainsprings would affect accuracy.
Also, I will use 2 different TOZ35 pistols one with the stock firing pin and another one with modified sharp edge firing pin.
Too many variables! How will you analyse the results? How will you know what contribution the spring has made to your results?

As others have suggested, I'd think that the lightest, 100% reliable strike is the way to go.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I shot the free pistol section of the Desert Midwinter today using my TOZ with the just installed Wolf spring. 0 misfires.

I sold the rest of the batch of springs to the TOZ shooters at the match and they were snapped up in about 5 minutes and asking for more.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Makarov wrote:...My firing pin has been modified and has sharp edge like a razor blade, so it would create a harder impact on primer even withh the light mainspring.
A small round tip is the recommended shape for the firing pin. You should be able to find some directions on how on the pilkguns site.

Chris