Can't focus on front sight after watching computer screen

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Seamaster

Can't focus on front sight after watching computer screen

Post by Seamaster »

After watching computer screen for awhile, I just cannot focus on the front sight any more when I go shooting on my backyard.

No matter how hard I try, my next hour is pretty much shot due to inability to focus the front sight clearly.

Anyone with similar problem? Your remedy for this?
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I am wearing +0.5 diopter shooting glasses.

It is super sharp most of the time, except when I watched computer for an hour. After watching computer screen, I would not be able to focus on the front sight any more, with or without the shooting glasses.

Anyone with same problem?
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Yes! I'm just the same, I wear shooting glasses with a lens set on fore sight focus. It took me a while before I twigged why sometimes I could see and then others times it blurred half way through a shoot.
Don't know if its just a problem of age, perhaps some young shooters could comment, but its easily solved, I don't use the computor at all in the days I shoot.
Best regards and good shooting
Robin
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Welcome to the autumn of your life! It's just one of the joys(?) of getting older.

With age, the lens of the eye gets stiffer, so it takes longer to change shape and therefore to focus. If you spend time focussing at close range, such as reading or using a computer screen, it can take several minutes to be able to focus at distance properly. Most people start to notice this after 40. Eventually, as the lens gets very stiff, you lose almost all ability to focus. It's called presbyopia (which only goes to show that Victorian medics just invented silly words to cover up their inability to do anything useful). It's as incurable as old age.

In a few years, you can join the ranks of cardigan-wearing old farts with spectacles hanging on a chain around neck, another pair perched on forehead, shambling around the house looking for the other pair you had just a minute ago...
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

That would be a great idea, not to use the computer on the days that I intend to shoot.
Don't think that my boss would agree.
Tiredness and age no doubt also have an effect on ones ability to focus on the foresight.
spacestout

focus exercises

Post by spacestout »

Computers really bother me.

I use an adjustable Iris on my shooting glasses. I tweak until my front sight is clear. It has required a lot of time adjusting the lense so that the Iris is centered, round. One benefit is that it helps me know if I'm standing in my repeatable position.

After leaving work and heading for the range, I do some exercises such as looking up close at the speedo, then glancing far down the road. Going back and forth between distances helps.

You may look up from your computer screen every few minutes. Ideally, you'd have a window where you can look at infinity for a minute.
Shooting Bloke

Post by Shooting Bloke »

Maybe a trip to the optometrist - explain it and see what they suggest?
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Its computer eye syndrome, and age.

Looking straight ahead at a fixed distance all day causes your eye to 'fix' that way, I found focussing at other distances hard, and even stereo vision started to fail as the muscles which move the eye become soft.
There are exercises which can help a lot, but the hardening lens is a problem.

Regular - hourly - breaks are essential, and having the monitor as far away from your eye as possible helps too, get a bigger monitor if necessary.

Its a severely neglected area of occupational health these days, and has been deliberately swept under the carpet by the govt here in Aus. It was one of the reasons I left my last job (CAD design, a real bugger because the eye is trying to pull 3D data out of a 2D image).

If your boss gives you trouble tell him to stick it, I have a ton of links, and articles if they are a help.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

John
"Don't think my boss would agree",

This is where the advantages of being a retired cardigan wearing old fart with spectacles on a chain starts to out weigh the disadvantages of wobbly old muscles having problems keeping the pistol steady whilst you try and find the sights and the target, it's one of natures ballances.
Now were did I put those specs?
Best regards and good shooting
Robin
spacestout

CK and flax oil

Post by spacestout »

You could always look in to Conductive Keratoplasty (CK). Approved by FDA for patients with Presbyopia and who have a difficult time functioning without their reading glasses. Candidates are over 40 with between +.75 and +2.5 diopters of correction.

If you have the procedure, let us know how it goes, LOL.

My doc just told me to take 1000-2000 mg flax seed oil once or twice per day to combat dry eye syndrome. Results seen in 30-60 days. Dry eye is exacerbated by computer use, and compromises focus. If nothing else, you can finish your grips with it.