Tour of Germany in October 2010

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

Tour of Germany in October 2010

Post by pilkguns »

How many people would be interested in doing a Germany tour this year?
This link has some information and pictures from previous tours we have done. Please note the itenary would be a sample one, as the one described is from some years ago.

http://www.pilkguns.com/tour_itn_germany.shtml
http://www.pilkguns.com/VISIER_124-125_Pilkington.pdf

Cost, I guess $1600-1800 a person, plus your airfare to Munich.

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Only a suggestion, but... a trip to Schönebeck would be a really good and worthwhile addition.

Alexander
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Thats a little bit further out of the loop, but since the Waffen Museum is open again in Suhl, we might be getting closer that direction

Post by Guest »

In case somebody's interested, Corami Switzerland (shooting shoes) wouldn't be too far away, either, and a personal "audience" and fitting with Claudio Aldi (designer of the thing) could certainly be arranged...
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

pilkguns wrote:Thats a little bit further out of the loop, but since the Waffen Museum is open again in Suhl, we might be getting closer that direction
And if Suhl, then also (jointly) Zella-Mehlis (Museum in der Beschußanstalt).
:-)

Viel Glück,
Alexander
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I'd love to go, but have a trip planned to Portugal in August. World Muzzle-Loading Championships - and I'm going to try again to crawl onto the podium one way or another.
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

I'm up for it. This time, I will bring Mrs. Slo cat. Last time, I planned about three days on my own after the tour, then zipped down into Austria and Switzerland with Marc and his wife.

Most days we got VIP tours of German gun or ammo factories in the AM, then were hosted by local shooting clubs in the PM/evenings for some shooting, dinner and beer. Folks, it doesn't get much better than this. I was able to pick out two Nill grips at their factory.

We had two Aussies and a Canadian on the tour too. Hey Shreck, are you coming again? There was plenty of time for sightseeing/shopping, so bring your spouse along. If you can manage to break free for this trip, you will not be disappointed.

Grüß Gott,
Slo cat

PS: Almost forgot that I was able to visit the Hoffbräuhaus a few times, probably the most famous beer hall in Munich.

PPS: Scott, any chance of adding the Steyr factory to the tour?
Last edited by Slo cat on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I'd like to go, but won't know for sure if I can get away until June or July. What is the cutoff date for commitment?
Thanks!
Ben
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Debbie and I should be good to go. The last one was a real hoot.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Scott, as I told you on the phone, I want to go. I will be saving my nickles and dimes and tryng to build up some rewards points on my credit card for that ticket to Munich. :-) I think there are a few other shooters in Colorado (besides slocat) who are at least thinking about it. Kate Schaumann
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Having went on the last one, I can vouch that this is a great trip, for both those who shoot and those who don't. You get to meet real Germans and spend time with them, you don't spend all your time in tourists traps. I'd describe it as a once in a lifetime trip, hopefully I can swing it and make it a twice in a lifetime trip.
SolidGun

Post by SolidGun »

It is too bad that this trip is taking place while school is in session. I saw the original post come up only a few minutes after it was posted and I have been talking to my wife about this......but I can't afford to skip school for a week in October.

Hopefully another trip will happen at a better time someday again.
Josed

Post by Josed »

Please post the tentative dates for the trip I would go. I would like some time frame so I can plan ahead.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Solidgun, do you shoot rifle or pistol?
SolidGun

Post by SolidGun »

Sawyer wrote:Solidgun, do you shoot rifle or pistol?
Pistols
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Sir
We will drive to Austria from England for an inter club match on the week end of 18/19 September, if the dates were close we could be interested, we could drive to Munich and leave the car there if the coach returns to the same hotel.
Will look forward to seeing the dates.
Best regards
Robin and Pam Carter
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

After 30 mins of discussion this has now changed to a definate expression of interest! My wife will retire in August 2010 and we will make this a retirement celebration, Yes please! Put us on the list.
Do you take shooting kit? We'll have ours any way, and air guns.
Best regards
Robin and Pam Carter
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Tentative dates would be October 2-10 or October 9-17 or maybe 16-24
The Octoberfest ends on the 3rd, so if people wanted to do that, it would ahve to be the first week, but I am waiting to hear back from some folks in Germany to see about conflicts in those weeks.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Thanks, the 2nd - 10th Oct would suit us best as we would be there in mid Sept and just stay over and have a holiday until Oct, would save us driving home and coming back. But what ever we will still go.
Best regards
Robin and Pam
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Personally I would just as soon skip the Octoberfest and go in one of the later weeks. There will be plenty of beer left over. :-) If people are really in to it they might want to consider going early. Flights into Munich during that time period will be pricy because the Octoberfest is a prime tourist time destination. It will also be very crowded and hotels in the Munich area will be very expensive. I lived in Germany for three years and even though it can be rainy in the fall, the weather in mid to late October is usually quite pleasant. In 1981 and 1982 I spent the better part of October sleeing in a tent, or in the back seat of an army jeep and I remember it not being too bad at all. :-) Isabel