LP50 or FWB58

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GVJOHN

LP50 or FWB58

Post by GVJOHN »

Need some input here. I'm thinking of getting a LP50 or FWB58. There seems to be a strong preference for the Steyr in the single shot world. Is this the case for repeaters as well? Is the LP50E better than the LP50 or just different? I have fired a few shots with a LP5 and a newer LP10 and in this case at least, the LP10 trigger was much better. Have not had any experience with a LP10E. Is this difference just result of the LP5 having to reset the trigger for the next shot?
I realize there is no organized event that requires a repeater, at least as far as I know, so most use would be as a single shot. Any down side to these repeaters when used as a single shot? What about a single shot mag, good to have or a waste?

Thanks.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

The big difference between the LP5/50 and the LP1/10, apart from obviously the 5 shot capability, was the quality of the trigger. The 5 shot versions were a totally different design which, IMHO, gave a much worse trigger feel than the single shot variants.

I have not tried the LP50E but, from what I understand, it has the same trigger as the LP10E. I am hearing good things about the LP10E trigger so, providing it is the same in the LP50E, that will solve the only serious defficiency in the Steyr 5-shots.

The single shot magazine is a no-brainer. It makes the LP5/50 the easiest single shot pistol to load.

You might want to take a look at the events covered by ISSF rule 8.20. They do not have full ISSF World Championship recognition (yet?) but they are fun to shoot.

Hope this helps.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The LP50 has a pretty stiff roll trigger on it. I have the version with the heavier trigger. I guess the reason is that people who shoot a lot of international rapid fire tend to prefer a gun with a roll trigger. I don't really care for it and if I can change it I will. I can duplicate the weight of the trigger on my Beretta ball gun but I cannot duplicate the feel so the LP50 has not been the best choice for practicing for the CMP matches. However a roll trigger does teach you to pull stright back through the shot, If you master it you will probably be better on all guns.
IPshooter

Re: LP50 or FWB58

Post by IPshooter »

GVJOHN wrote: I realize there is no organized event that requires a repeater, at least as far as I know, so most use would be as a single shot.
Thanks.
If you're located in the USA, the ISSF rules for 5 Shot Air Pistol are in the USA Shooting rules. Match organizers just need to run the events.

BTW, the updated rules are not on the USAS site yet.

Stan
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

A single shot magazine would be a waste of money because in a match where they insist you load only single shot you can just put the pellet in the left side of the magazine and push it in all the way.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

oldcaster wrote:A single shot magazine would be a waste of money because in a match where they insist you load only single shot you can just put the pellet in the left side of the magazine and push it in all the way.
Have you ever used one? If you use your suggested method you'd have to release the mag each time, which requires both hands on on the mag to pull and one on the catch. If you use the single shot mag it pops right out after the shot automatically. It is well worth it to purchase the single shot mag if you're going to use it in that mode or even as a back-up to a single shot air pistol. Lets spend lets save $50 while spending more than $2000, doesn't make much sense to me.

To the question that the op asked, the LP5/50, even with a trigger that is not the same as the LP10 (some dislike) its still better than the FWB.
oldcaster

Yes I have shot one a few times

Post by oldcaster »

The magazine doesn't come out unless you press the lever on the left side of the gun that is just below the magazine hole. A single shot magazine is identical to a 5 shot except it has more holes. It is necessary to put the gun down each time just to put a pellet back in the mag. With some pellets it is necessary to take the back of the pellet tin and rub it across the back of the pellet to make sure the skirt won't hit the frame as you install the mag. I have had my LP5 for about 10 years or so, can't remember exactly, with zero problems. I haven't even had to change a seal on the gun or the cylinders. Same goes for my Gehmenn pump. I do remember I paid $1200 new, for the gun I think from Champions Choice. Being a 5 shot repeater it is simple to put the gun in a vice and shoot groups. Vogels from the CMP will shoot the best group in my gun with all 5 in a hole slightly bigger than one pellet. If you can't figure what to do with another $50 buy the mag. Otherwise buy 5000 pellets with it.
David Levene

Re: Yes I have shot one a few times

Post by David Levene »

oldcaster wrote:A single shot magazine is identical to a 5 shot except it has more holes. It is necessary to put the gun down each time just to put a pellet back in the mag.
With the single shot pistol it is not necessary to put the gun down to put another pellet in.

When you fire a shot the magazine moves all the way to the left, exposing the pellet loading hole, but is retained in the gun by magazine catch.

A right handed shooter simply has to place a new pellet into the exposed pellet loading hole before pushing the magazine back all the way to the right. The magazine does not have to be removed. It is slightly more difficult for the left handed shooter who has to reach over the gun to load the pellet.

I only tried to shoot one 60 shot match single loading a 5-shot magazine; it was a pain in the butt. About half way through I went to the range shop and bought a single shot magazine. With that installed it is the easiest AP to load that I have ever used.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

David, We aren't talking single shot pistols but multishot.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

oldcaster wrote:David, We aren't talking single shot pistols but multishot.
Indeed we are, and the question was whether it was worth getting a single shot magazine if you wanted to shoot the single shot match with a multi-shot LP50 pistol. The answer is, very definitely.