Lead Dust

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
22big

Lead Dust

Post by 22big »

May I consult about potential lead dust collection caused by air pistol shooting in basement?

It is winter in Minnesota; cold is under stated. I am planning to have the pellet trap placed in the back of the basement where is quite enclosed. There isn't much of air circulation. With the furnace near by, I am a bit worried if I start to bang it away.

If there a way to measure lead dust in the air; home detector type? Most of houses here have Carbon Monoxide and smoke detectors, but not lead dust detector. Have you personally studied lead dust related to air gun shooting hazard? Plead shad some light about this topic.

Thank you so much and Happy Holidays.
mjmarz

Air Gun Range Lead Control

Post by mjmarz »

Duct Seal, obtainable at your local home depot , is used by many to deaden sound and control the pellet. The only noise from shooting is the discharge of the rifle or pistol. The putty is soft absorbing the impact of the pellet therefore there is no fragmentation of lead. No lead becomes airborne. It is placed in a box of some sort with the target mounted on the front. It does have to be cleaned out on occasion. The only contact with the lead is in the handling of the pellet while loading the gun and the removal of the used pellets from the putty. That is managed by hand washing.

I am unaware of any instrumentation to detect friable lead in the atmosphere.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'm surely no expert, but I've done some research in the area of lead contamination for our club indoor range. There is not much hazard from lead dust from shooting pellets if simple cleaning and hygiene practices are followed. The little hazard presented by lead dust from a pellet trap is mostly from the lead dust that settles onto the floor and anything in the area. This is only if you have a metal back stop. There is little danger in breathing in lead dust hanging in the air from shooting into the pellet trap, as there will be very little present and what little there is would settle before you walk downrange to the target.

Now if you use something like "duct seal" or crumb rubber to catch the pellets, you will not have any appreciable lead dust in the vicinity of the trap.

If you still want to use a metal plate to stop the pellets then you must be careful to clean the area often where you shoot. You must not smoke or eat while shooting or after until you have washed your hands. You'll want to clean the bottom of your shoes so you don't get lead dust into the living area of your house. When cleaning the floor area around your metal plate trap don't use a dry broom. This will stir up the dust and you will breathe it in.

Here is a website of a company that sells products to detect and clean lead contamination. I have purchased products from them over the years and can highly recommend them: http://www.esca-tech.com/TestKit.htm
Oz

Post by Oz »

Along those same lines... I've also heard that the lead dust from pellet impact is too heavy to remain airborne and cause any issue.

The real problems associated from lead in shooting sports is from the primers in powder shooting. There's lead used in the primers and the lead is vaporized and turned into a fog of lead tiny and light particles that remain airborne and are easily breathed and absorbed into the bloodstream.

But just to be safe, I wouldn't go licking the floor underneath your pellet trap...

Oz
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As per the above, lead dust from air gun shooting is almost certainly a non issue. Common sense precautions apply when cleaning up - ie use a disposable face mask when brushing or making an airborne dust (of the right sort to stop lead dust particles from passing through). If you can it might be worth damping down before sweeping up, but that may make it very difficult to actually sweep up.

Rob.