Youth Rifle Suggestions

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

montster

Youth Rifle Suggestions

Post by montster »

I am taking over boy scout merit badge shooting for a troop. We do 2 or more shooting activities a year and we also move the boys up through the NRA markmanship program.

What I need is suggestions for youth rifles with aperture sights. I am using my own budget to buy 2-4 rifles. We don't qualify under CMP so we can't take advantage of the Savage deal. I am an NRA instructor but I don't see anything other offers for youth that has aperture sights. Staying with sporter class is preferred.

Any advice in looking for youth rifles with aperture sights with good prices?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by montster on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sakoarms

Post by sakoarms »

The Savage deal through CMP is a great deal. Why don't you join a on-line club that is affiliated with CMP and then buy the rifles? I am sure there are several clubs out there, but this one I know has the CMP affiliation. http://www.thegca.org/images/GCAMemApp.pdf.pdf
montster

Membership

Post by montster »

I am a member of a group. However the details mention teams etc. I might go ahead and see if the CMP will send me certificates.

Thanks
PL177

Post by PL177 »

Any Boy Scout group is, I believe, a defacto member of CMP. There is a Memo of Understanding (MOU) for BSA National covering all units. We are a Venture Crew Jr Rifle Club, and we do not have to pay the annual fee or submit annual paperwork. Please check with the CMP, it would be a good deal for your unit.
PL

Post by PL »

BTW, the black Savages are nice rifles, except they don't have a forearm rail underneath for a handstop. That's no problem for merit badge (can use rests), but will be hard to progress thru the NRA Qualification program for 4 position. Hmmm ... of course, there are other Qual choices like light rifle that wouldn't pose a problem ...
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Talk with the CMP! 4H and Boy Scouts qualify. You might need to affiliate you particular unit, but, that's just a little paper work.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Speaking of the CMP Savage rifles, is it possible to mill the forestock of the composite (plastic) stock and install a rail? Anybody done it?

Is the stock thick enough and does the plastic machine ok? I've done it on 541's and it wasn't too difficult or expensive, but, I'm not sure about the plastic.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

We have access to the Savage rifles and they're good, but not great rifles. They're inexpensive, and worth more than the asking price. They're also NOT QUITE target rifles. CLOSE... The lack of a rail is a minor handicap, the lack of click adjust-ability on the peep sights is more of a handicap. Unfortunately, changing either shortcoming is a MAJOR expense.

I would suggest that if you get the Savages, you also buy a case of two of .22LR ammo. This would allow YOU to sight in each rifle at your leisure, and just have the boys leave them alone. We used a bunch of donated stuff from standard velocity to mini mags, and guess what? The all printed somewhere different...

Later

Mike
Wichita KS
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Is there anything that one can buy NEW that is pricewise and precisionwise between the Savage Mark II-FVT and an Anschutz 1903?

In the used market I would go for good conditioned Anschutz 64's or Remington 540XR's if I could get them for around $300-500. Unfortunately, these are a little big for small kids.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Sometimes you can find the Marlin M-2000's ($300-400). Again they are large for younger kids but for 13 & up shoot quite well ... I have 2 in our program that are just the ticket for an inexpensive LH shooter rifle.
SJUGOC

Post by SJUGOC »

My son uses a Remington 540rx and my daughter an anschutz 64. Both kids are small for their age and the rifles fit them fine. Just purchased the 64 from MTGuns, it came with sites, for just over $500.