P240

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
schatzperson

P240

Post by schatzperson »

How does the P240 in 32LWC compare with most modern target pistols of the same caliber ?
Might have a go at obtaining one, but I dont think I would do it just for the "classic" feel. I was wondering if anybody here has practical experience comparing this piece with a modern 32 for ISSF centerfire.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

An ex team-mate of mine was shooting one reasonably successfully in the early 1990s. Even he admitted that there were more forgiving guns, and things have moved on since then.

If you shoot a good shot it will reward you with a good score. If you shoot a bad shot it will punish you more than other, more modern, guns.
schatzperson

The revenge of The unforgiven

Post by schatzperson »

Hmm, , I understand what you mean at least from my experiences with airpistol.
To be honest, perhaps because of my lack of technical expertise, I always fumbled to understand the business of some handgun's "unforgivness".
Barrel dwell time must surely play a significant time but it seems to me that there are also a series of minute but highly signicant forces at work just before/during/after shot release. Items associated with pistol geometry--- trigger position, travel--- similar dynamics combined with the overall weight distribution and balance must surely all work together in a pseudo mysterious way to create "a forgivness factor".
I would be interested to hear more about this black magic :-)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

There are a number of things that can make one pistol less forgiving than another. These can include:

1) Barrel length (affects bore time, sight radius, & moment of inertia). Short bore means follow though is less crucial, but a longer sight radius helps aiming & a long barrel increases moment of inertia for less wobble.

2) Weight & distribution (light pistols will respond more to recoil & shooter disturbances)

3) Bore height relative to grip (higher = more muzzle flip)

4) Trigger shape (more or less easy to move straight back)

5) Trigger movement (small = less disturbance)

I would think that free pistols represent the best general compromise, because there are few conflicting requirements to get in the way of a good design. However, depending on the strengths & weaknesses of a particular shooter, some pistols may be more forgiving than others for that shooter.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

If you go for a 240 then I will suggest .38 instead of a .32!
Have had them in all .22LR, .32SWL and .38 Special WC
The .38 need a 355 bullet though!
Kent
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I know about the problems of .38 projectiles and P240 barrels. Is there any evidence that the .32 has a similar weakness? Getting undersize .32 projectiles here in NZ seems to be difficult.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

No only the .38!
But, in .32 you have a lot to choose from and a 240 is, as you know long out of production. Parts are few in Europe let alone in Australia/ New Zeeland area.
The barrel is a very thin tube so it does not take much to destroy it.
The .32 and .22 are strictly blowback; the .38 is like a SIG 210!
You will do better with an other make of .32!
Kent
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Here in AUS there is a barrel maker considering a production run of .38 barrels for P240. The sample I saw was quite nice.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

David Levene wrote:An ex team-mate of mine was shooting one reasonably successfully in the early 1990s. Even he admitted that there were more forgiving guns, and things have moved on since then.

If you shoot a good shot it will reward you with a good score. If you shoot a bad shot it will punish you more than other, more modern, guns.
Shot a grand total of 10 shots with a .38 P240, back when it was new. No sighting shots and at the old rapid fire target.

9 low 10's and a 9 just bellow the 10's. total group size less than an inch.

If it is not forgiving, shure shoots well!!
Leon

Post by Leon »

" I was wondering if anybody here has practical experience comparing this piece with a modern 32 "

I had a P240 .32 for about 15 years. It is now completely out-classed by the current crop of .32s such as the Pardini HP New etc. ( sights, ergonomics. balance ) If you want something that has a 'classic' look, is beautifully made & finished ( far superior to the P240 ) get a Manurhin Match - either in .38 or .32. It can take you to the highest levels in your shooting.