Possible to buy LP10E in Vienna, Austria?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mike M. (as guest)

Possible to buy LP10E in Vienna, Austria?

Post by Mike M. (as guest) »

I've got a potential trip to Vienna, Austria, in early November. Would it be possible/worthwhile to try to buy an LP10E there?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Even if it is possible/worthwhile (I don't know), you might want to think whether it is adviseable, with an electronic trigger as new as this, to bypass the official importer /service station in your country.

The Steyr electronic trigger might prove to be extremely reliable but......
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

From what we have seen from here, you'll spend more buying anything in Europa. The sales tax can reach 30%.

My brother flies executive jets to Europe and US, and prices, even for European products, are usually lower in the US.

A good example are pellets: with all the freight costs, it is cheaper to buy in America.
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

I buy stuff directly from Anschütz in Germany over the post and always pay the export price (minus VAT). In any case, if you decide to buy in Europe you can have the VAT either deducted (by presenting your passport at the moment of purchase) or returned to you (at the airport or back at home by filling and mailing a VAT refund form).

I believe the main hurdle would be legal. But give it a try. I remember a sporting goods store in Vienna (ages ago) located near the Westbahnhof (Western Ry. Station), on the street which leads to the Opera.

Cheers NB
jipe

Post by jipe »

Nick_Burman wrote:I buy stuff directly from Anschütz in Germany over the post and always pay the export price (minus VAT). In any case, if you decide to buy in Europe you can have the VAT either deducted (by presenting your passport at the moment of purchase) or returned to you (at the airport or back at home by filling and mailing a VAT refund form).

I believe the main hurdle would be legal. But give it a try. I remember a sporting goods store in Vienna (ages ago) located near the Westbahnhof (Western Ry. Station), on the street which leads to the Opera.

Cheers NB
This is true: if you take the equipment outside the EU you can get a refund of the VAT either at the shop either at the airport upon departure.

I do not know the prices in Austria, but in Germany (and I guess, the prices might be very similar in Austria and Germany), the prices for AP are the lowest among all EU countries (the price difference between EU countries and Germany can easily be 20%+). Many people in Europe by their AP online in Germany.

Now, indeed, the reliability of the new Steyr Electronic trigger is not proven yet.

I also wonder of the real benefit of the electronic trigger for the LP10 since the LP10 mechanical one is pretty good.

For the LP50, the situation is different: the electronic trigger should be a major improvement vs the LP50 mechanical trigger.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Hi all

I believe that the new German laws on air gun purchase states you have to prove your age and membership of a club. You also cannot mail order, you have to go to a gun shop in person with all your paper work.
A similar law now applies in the UK where you can no longer mail order, you have to go to a gun shop to purchase the air gun in person.

Not sure what the Austrian VAT is, but Germany is 19% and the UK was/is 17%. Thank your lucky stars its not Norway where VAT is 29%
You must also take into consideration, the various exchange rates, namely the Euro against the Dollar.
I bought my air rifle in Germany [when the pound was strong against the Euro] from a shop in Hamberg and under the EU free trade area, i had to pay their 19%, but i had no import duty or taxes to pay on returning to the UK because of the EU free trade area.
So in Europe, you pay the tax of the country you bought the weapon in.
If you can redeem this when entering the USA, i'm not sure but i would damn well try.
JSB
RobinC

Buying from Germany

Post by RobinC »

Buying F marked (target power) such as the LP 10E Air weapons from Germany in England is no problem, You can also buy mail order, I have done it, face to face is not required under EU law and the UK law requireing face to face is specifically excluded in UK law on personal sales in the EU as the EU law overrides the UK! Silly really, we can't buy other than face to face in our own country yet we can do it all on the phone and recieve it two days later by mail from the EU!
Can't comment on buying in the EU from outside. Hav'nt shot the E but have dry fired one, Hmmmm! The trigger is superb!
Best regards
Robin