equipment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
plopolp

equipment

Post by plopolp »

We're new to air pistol but thinking about going to a few competitions in 2010. Just curious what J1 (17-20) the top kids use. Are the top kid shooters already shooting Steyr LP10 E and Morini CM162 EI?

Does anyone know where the YOG trials will be held and when?

Also, where can I find the scores from the 2008 and 2009 nationals?

T.I.A.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Rover

Post by Rover »

I kind of hate to see the kids thinking that they need the latest equipment to be competitive. That runs into real money for Dad since it's a rare Jr. that buys their own. You could equip an entire Jr. club (or any club) with used guns for the price of one or two of the latest model.

The US National Jr. Record is held by an old FWB Model 2 CO2 gun and has been for many (30?) years. The World Record was held by a CO2 gun until just this year.

The weight and fit of the gun are of far more importance than "the latest model" will ever come close to being. IMO there is ZERO advantage in the latest toy, especially at the Jr. level.

Let the rants commence.
Shooting Bloke

Post by Shooting Bloke »

Rover - no rant from me - I agree. Learn the basics, get your technique down and get some coaching. Don't try to buy a score with your expensive pistol.
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

I got an offer I couldn't refuse, so I shoot a MG1E.
But I get beat on a regular basis by friends shooting old FWB and Walther CO2 guns........

My main thing about shooting a top quality gun is "no excuse".
If my shooting is bad, I'd better keep my mouth shut.......

I also have an Izzy, and if I do my job right, it shoots dead centre.
izzy2

Jr. pistol

Post by izzy2 »

For a pittance you can buy a Daisy 747, and compete with the high price guns. I shoot an Izzy personally, and like it very well. It is better than I am for sure. Like the man said. Work on style and regimen. My wifes Daisy shoots right along with the Izzy. Just do not like the sights on the 747 (cheap). Izzy2
Popeye

Let's be mindful that this is the Olympic Pistol forum

Post by Popeye »

Let's be mindful that this is the Olympic Pistol forum.

A Daisy 747 ? Give me a break. Use it as a doorstop.

I agree though that an older match CO2 air pistol would be a good start. The LP1 rates highly. The current IZH-46 cranker also rates well as a top air pistol.

The bottom line is that there should be no compromise with sights and trigger when choosing an air pistol.
izzy2

Jr. pistol

Post by izzy2 »

The winner of the southwest regionals won it with a daisy 747. put that in your pipe and smoke it. It is the shooter, not the price of the gun. NUFF SAID!!!!!!
David Levene

Re: Jr. pistol

Post by David Levene »

izzy2 wrote:The winner of the southwest regionals won it with a daisy 747.
Out of interest, what sort of score?
Popeye

Match Air Pistols

Post by Popeye »

ha ha-you’re a funny guy izzy2. Look at the subject line of my last post.

I think you may be posting in the wrong forum – maybe post in the Shooters Lounge or Bullseye. This is the olympic forum.

I doubt that a serious competitive shooter would choose to use a Daisy 747 at an international ISSF event if they were competing for a top ranking. Why is that? Now don’t take this personally, but the reason is that the Daisy 747 is a second tier pistol. Of course I accept that a skilled ISSF air pistol shooter could perform well with the Daisy 747 at a regional event with regional competition, but anyone who invests a lot of time and energy and $$ in ISSF will always strive for excellence with a top match pistol, and generally will use top match pistols for different ISSF events.

This topic is about selecting a match air pistol for competition, and it is a given that the skills of a shooter are important. Any top match air pistol in CO2 or PCP will be a good start, and there have been some very accurate and reliable older CO2’s that do the job well.

My choice would be the older Steyr LP1.
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

If you are just getting into the sport, I would recommend getting an izh46, TAU 7 or other used match quality gun. Daisy has imported and sold under their name several very accurate guns. I have what they called the Avanti Valient which is a rifle rather than a pistol, but makes the point. I would hesitate to recommend them because of the overall reputation of the company for cheaply made guns.

The Avanti Valient developed a favorable reputation in JR 10M air rifle events, but had several cheaply made parts that detracted from it functionally, primarily the plastic bolt handle and trigger.

It sounds like you have adequate funds to purchase the top of the line, but I would not recommend it for a beginning shooter for several reasons.

1. If the shooter looses interest in the sport there is less of an investment that needs to be reconciled.

2. More venerable guns are less likely to be valued for the gee wiz factor and allow the shooter to better concentrate on the fundamentals.

3. Relatively inexpensive guns like the IZH-46 and other older designs still have the overall quality of workmanship and design to be world class contenders without being a serious handicap next to the latest and greatest.

If money permits I would recommend getting a CO2 or PCP pistol over a cranker like the IZH-46 because the cocking motion can interfere with consistency of overall physical position.

I use a IZH-46M because I don't have the monetary fortitude to obtain a newer CO2 or PCP pistol. I can still hold a group completely within the 9 ring.

On the other hand, I was just thinking, you could place an order for 1,00,000 LP2s or LP10s and with the increased volume bring the price down for the rest of us :-)

.....Just kidding.

Welcome to the sport!!!! I hope that you stay with it and you find it very rewarding.

Best regards,

Dave F.
jackh

Re: Let's be mindful that this is the Olympic Pistol forum

Post by jackh »

Popeye wrote:Let's be mindful that this is the Olympic Pistol forum.

A Daisy 747 ? Give me a break. Use it as a doorstop.

I agree though that an older match CO2 air pistol would be a good start. The LP1 rates highly. The current IZH-46 cranker also rates well as a top air pistol.

The bottom line is that there should be no compromise with sights and trigger when choosing an air pistol.
Dude! see here:
http://www.pilkguns.com/entrylevelap.shtml
I see a Daisy on our hosts website. Hmmmm?

I know for a fact that Nygord and Toyota tuned Daisys are darn good.
And I bet you were a beginner one time too.
bobtodrick

Post by bobtodrick »

popeye...guys with your attitude will go a long way to ensuring that this sport dies a long painful death. I guess you just started the sport with no questions and the best equipment money could buy.
Unfortunately some of us come into the sport needing some advice and a limited budget.
Sure glad I didn't run into someone like you when I started...I'd probably have taken up knitting instead.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I think people are talking at slightly crossed purposes here. Yes old and 2nd or even 3rd tier guns can shoot very well. And yes a top gun doesn't buy you results for free. But you're paying for quality engineering allowing fine adjustment, consistent performance and all that goes with it.

You need to decide what you want from your gun and of course how much you're prepared to spend. I advise people to learn with simple guns but to move on to better guns shortly thereafter if possible. That gives them something well grounded to work with and get used to and to learn how to best shoot and perform with. If people are serious then it also works cheaper than upgrading 2 or 3 times - just do it once. If you drop out of the sport the high end guns are also very easy to sell and don't lose much of their value (especially if you get something like a 2nd hand LP1 etc).

Rob.