Training Free Pistol with 0.22 Short Ammo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Free Pistol Shooter

Training Free Pistol with 0.22 Short Ammo

Post by Free Pistol Shooter »

Due to ammo shortage we started to conduct training with 0.22 short ammo instead of 0.22LR.
I wanted to hear views , pro/cons, for that type of training .

Thanks
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Doubt it will be accurate at 25m.

Edit: Idiot, meant 50m
Last edited by JamesH on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

JamesH wrote:Doubt it will be accurate at 25m.
Worse at 50m.
The end of the chamber will have lead deposits as the bullet gets scraped before it makes the jump to the rifling.
todd

.22 short ok at 50 m

Post by todd »

.22 short may do ok at 50 m, but more wind sensitive than .22 lr.
Lead deposits in front part of chamber? Not a big deal. Just remove any lead deposit from the front part of chamber whan you want to use .22 lr.
Remember: use of .38 spec in .357 wheelguns is common....
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It's not just lead. You can also get gas cutting/corrosion at the mouth of the shorts that will errode the chamber and make it hard to extract 22 long rifle rounds. It think it takes a LOT of shooting to do this, but I've seen it happen on rifles, and I've heard that shooting lots of 38 special in a 357 can cause issues. It's probably beneficial to do a good cleaning of the chamber after shooting shorts. It may also not be as much of an issue with modern clean ammo.
6string

Post by 6string »

Just bend the end of a .22 caliber bore brush so the bristles near the tip are the same length as an empty 22 lr case. You can clean the chamber without touching the rifling, if needed.

Most free pistol chambers are polished so nicely that this probably won't be much of a problem.
ronpistolero

training with .22 short

Post by ronpistolero »

Based purely on my impression, I understand that one of the reasons for the inherent accuracy of free pistols is that when a .22 LR round is chambered, its head is seated snugly against the barrel rifling as the breach is closed&locked. Therefore, using a .22 short would not make it so, so that after PROLONGED USAGE, the head slamming against this part might damage it eventually and may cause a loss of accuracy. If the .22LR is TEMPORARILY unavailable, it might be wiser to do some other drills short of firing the shorts.

Just my two cents worth.

Ron
QUEEN´S LOVER

Post by QUEEN´S LOVER »

yo te recomiendo que si practicas o entrenas pistola libre lo hagas conforme al reglamento y utilices .22 LR, si lo haces por entretenimiento o por diversion te recomiendo que mejor lo hagas a 25 metros y con una pistola semiautomatica, saludos.
RobStubbs

Re: training with .22 short

Post by RobStubbs »

ronpistolero wrote:If the .22LR is TEMPORARILY unavailable, it might be wiser to do some other drills short of firing the shorts.

Just my two cents worth.

Ron
I tend to agree with Ron. How much dry firing are you currently doing ? Ramp that up rather than shoot .22 short, or intersperse with more air pistol.

Rob.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

I also agree with Ron. There is no way I would consider damaging my free pistol by firing any cartridge not specifically designed for its chamber.I would think that the best approach might be going to the air pistol for training. Good Shooting Bill Horton
paulo

Post by paulo »

Air pistol only helps my free pistol shooting.
frog5215

Post by frog5215 »

I was shooting Aguila Colibris in my office @ 10M in my TOZ35 for a while.
I realized I have an Air pistol and switched to it.

Colibris are in an LR case, so there aren't any chamber erosion worries.
lastman

Post by lastman »

I would have though 22 shorts were harder to get hold of. I wouldn't use them for free training. It's quite different to what you will shoot in competition