Question re: FAS 607 misfires

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K5Tangos

Question re: FAS 607 misfires

Post by K5Tangos »

I have a new-to-me FAS 607 which misfires about 10% of the time with all types of ammo. The case rim indentations show a strong hit, but a definite bias to the outside of the rim where I doubt there is much priming compound.

The rounds feed flawlessly, and the bolt is fully closed every time.

When I removed the firing pin to check it, I found that a portion of the tip had been ground away where it would normally strike near the center or inside of the case. This is the precise area that is not being hit much at all on the rim.

My question to those more familiar with the FAS: Based on the attached photos, is this a normal profile of the firing pin tip, or has someone butchered it with a grinder?

If the firing pin has been altered, this is an easy fix assuming I can find a new one. If this is what it's supposed to look like, however, suggestions to resolve the misfires would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
Attachments
FAS1.jpg
FAS1.jpg (28.93 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
FAS3.jpg
FAS3.jpg (25.78 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
FAS4.jpg
FAS4.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
FAS5.jpg
JamesHx

Post by JamesHx »

Thats not normal, its been butchered with a grinder.

In fact normally the TOP edge would be ground off to achieve a better strike.

Will post more detail later.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Butchered or broken. I wonder if the previous owner dry-fired it without the hard rubber plug in the breech... (You have one, I hope...)

The end of the pin should look more-or-less like a screwdriver blade: the thinned-down end extending across the whole diameter. The indentation on my SK / Lapua cases (just tried a couple of empties) very nearly reaches the little manufacturer's arc impressions, so about twice as far to the centre as yours. Strength of strike looks fine - they don't seem to hit particularly hard.

I've had feeding problems with mine. I found overall length of the round to be critical. Lapua no go; Fiocchi 100% OK, about 0.4mm shorter. Disappointed by the trigger: I prefer a crisp, single-stage trigger, but can't adjust mine to my liking. The geometry of the trigger mechanism seems to be an obligatory two-stage trigger.

Enjoy with a new pin!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It is quite normal, in fact a good idea, to grind off the corner of the firing pin. As James correctly says however, it should be the top corner so that the strike is just inside the edge.
JamesHx

Post by JamesHx »

There was more good info here.
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=21095
I did a bit of investigation and will try to post info later.
K5Tangos

Thanks!

Post by K5Tangos »

Thanks for the quick responses. That's why I love this forum!

Now for the important question - who sells FAS parts in the USA?

I emailed the factory, and they referred me to Airguns of Arizona who denied providing any support for cartridge firing pistols.

Thanks,
Keith
fast shooter

FAS 607 misfires

Post by fast shooter »

I had a 607 about five years ago, although I never dry fired it the firing pins used to peen over and cause misfires. The firing pins would fail between 1,000-1,500 rds. I finally had a machinist friend make one from titainium which lasted till I sold it a year later.
nvalcik

RE: FAS 607

Post by nvalcik »

ISS usually has some FAS parts laying around. I would contact Neal to see if he might have a firing pin or can order one.
David Levene

Re: FAS 607 misfires

Post by David Levene »

fast shooter wrote:I had a 607 about five years ago, although I never dry fired it the firing pins used to peen over and cause misfires. The firing pins would fail between 1,000-1,500 rds. I finally had a machinist friend make one from titainium which lasted till I sold it a year later.
Of all of the parts that FAS sub-contracted to other companies, firing pins were probably the item causing the greatest headaches because of inconsistency.

I would always advise any serious competitor to keep a spare firing pin which had been pre-fitted and tested in the gun. Changing a firing pin is a 2 minute job if you have one that is known to work.