Compressed Air refil tank

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lord gnome

Compressed Air refil tank

Post by lord gnome »

Hi all,

Thanks for this great forum I have just joined. It has been good experience reading all your threads.

I have just returned to 10mtr air pistol having given up in despair when the UK pistol ban was introduced. I still have a lot of work to do getting my muscle condition back.

My Crosman Skaneka suffered as a result of my long lay of and rather than repair it I have purchased an LP10 so I now require a scuba tank or something. I know little about these things so I would welcome advice as to choosing one. For example is it worth having 300 bar instead of 232 bar and approximately how many fills would one expect fom the various size cylinders.

Is it safe to purchase 2nd hand ex diving cylinders bearing in mind they will need re-testing.

All advice would be most welcome.

Good Shooting (not Bob Horton???)
Misny

Post by Misny »

Scott Pilkington is da man when it comes to this info. Check out his article here: http://www.pilkguns.com/scuba1.shtml
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Blackpool Air Rifles.

Or ask on AirGunBBS. Lots of people who shoot air rifle and pistol for Field Target, Hunting, Plinking and Precision Target Air Rifle/Pistol.

Also a sales secton where you may be able to pick up second-hand tanks, etc.
SteveR

Re: Compressed Air refil tank

Post by SteveR »

lord gnome wrote: For example is it worth having 300 bar instead of 232 bar and approximately how many fills would one expect fom the various size cylinders.
If you go for the 300 bar it will give you more fills, but bare in mind you will need a new adapter for filling the LP10, the one it comes with is specific to 232 bar, and will not work with 300 bar. You can get adapters from Harry Preston.
lord gnome wrote: Is it safe to purchase 2nd hand ex diving cylinders bearing in mind they will need re-testing.
If you get an ex-diving one, it will need testing every 2 years. If you get a 2nd hand / new Surface only bottle then it only needs testing every 5 years.

In terms of fills, I have a 232 3 Litre bottle, I shoot my LP10 once a week at the club, and it lasts about 6 months (maybe more).

Steve.
lord gnome

Airgun filling tanks

Post by lord gnome »

Thanks Misney, Hemmers and Steve,

I never expected such a fast and useful response.

Good Shooting

Post by Guest »

SteveR wrote:
lord gnome wrote: For example is it worth having 300 bar instead of 232 bar and approximately how many fills would one expect fom the various size cylinders.
If you go for the 300 bar it will give you more fills, but bare in mind you will need a new adapter for filling the LP10, the one it comes with is specific to 232 bar, and will not work with 300 bar. You can get adapters from Harry Preston.
lord gnome wrote: Is it safe to purchase 2nd hand ex diving cylinders bearing in mind they will need re-testing.
If you get an ex-diving one, it will need testing every 2 years. If you get a 2nd hand / new Surface only bottle then it only needs testing every 5 years.

In terms of fills, I have a 232 3 Litre bottle, I shoot my LP10 once a week at the club, and it lasts about 6 months (maybe more).

Steve.
You don't necessarily need a new adapter you can get a plastic spacer made, mine is made out of I think dalcron (not sure I spelled it right), and it works fine. Don Nygord made the first one for me and it has worked well for me for years.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Anonymous wrote: You don't necessarily need a new adapter you can get a plastic spacer made, mine is made out of I think dalcron (not sure I spelled it right), and it works fine. Don Nygord made the first one for me and it has worked well for me for years.
Ahh ok, I'd never actually used 300 Bar so wasn't sure, I was under the impression that 300 Bar had a longer thread on the adapter to handle the higher pressure. (Or thats what I was told at the time)
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

If you are a member of a shooting club, convince them to rent / buy a 50 liters nitrogen bottle at 200 bar.

We did that in our club and the results are fine. The only problem we found was that a lot of gas was wasted when the pistol cylinder was removed, the adaptor was long and fat. After filling that space with a brass rod that was filed to leave a small passage for the gas the waste is minimal.

So far we filled some 65 pistols and 15 carbine cylinders (could be more, but some people forget to note the use), and the bottle is showing 160 bar. Probably when it says 150 we will refill the thing.

And don't let any "worry Bug" tell you that the factory made it for air. this is just 'cause dive shops are easyer to find. nitrogen is an inert gas, reacts to nothing and is not an oxidizer, like oxigen...