Is this a proper way for thumb placement?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Is this a proper way for thumb placement?

Post by seamaster »

In this month's USA Shooting magazine, there is a picture in the grip adjusting article showing a hand gripping pistol with thumb sticking loosely out.

http://usashooting.com/mag/usas_news_jul_aug_09.pdf

page 7.

Is this the proper way to place thumb, not putting any undue pressure from thumb?
2650 Plus

Thumb placement

Post by 2650 Plus »

The picture described is not correct for me. I place the thumb to exactly oppose the position of the trigger finger on the trigger. I apply the pressure on the trigger directly towards the opposing thumb, and the thumb always rests on exactly the same spot on thr rifle stocks pistol grip. Good Shooting Bill Horton
RobStubbs

Re: Is this a proper way for thumb placement?

Post by RobStubbs »

seamaster wrote:In this month's USA Shooting magazine, there is a picture in the grip adjusting article showing a hand gripping pistol with thumb sticking loosely out.

http://usashooting.com/mag/usas_news_jul_aug_09.pdf

page 7.

Is this the proper way to place thumb, not putting any undue pressure from thumb?
For me that is correct. The general wisdom here is that the thumb should just rest on the thumb shelf and not do any muscle work. This is more applicable for air and free, but you would be increasing grip strength and using the thumb a little more in other disciplines.

Rob.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Agreed, Rob.

The whole emphasis should be on reducing variables. You don't need to exert any pressure with the thumb to keep the pistol still for a good hold, therefore get it out of the list of variables and keep it relaxed, inert and non-contributing. If it feels wrong, perhaps the pistol grip needs surgery.

See other threads on grip technique.
muffo as guest

Post by muffo as guest »

This would be almost the exact position of my thumb. But I shoot right hand left eye so the gun is twisted in my hand. if the thumb shelf extended out under my thumb the grip wouldnt fit in the box. this shooter may also shoot right hand left eye. take note of how far round the trigger finger. this would be wrong for me but would suggest the hand is further round on the pistol
2650 Plus

Thunbs

Post by 2650 Plus »

Sorry about my earlier post.For some reason I thought I was responding to a small bore question. Now to the issue at hand. My non shooting hand goes in my pocket with the thumb hanging over the side of it. The shooting hand thumb is relaxed and does not contribute to the grip. I joke about it saying the thumb is obsolete unless you are shooting a revolver. Good Shooting Bill Horton
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:The general wisdom here is that the thumb should just rest on the thumb shelf and not do any muscle work.
I would agree with that Rob but the picture at the bottom of page 7 appears to show a large part of the thumb sticking out at an angle, unsupported by and not touching the grip.

I'm not saying that is wrong, everyone is different, just a bit unusual.

Looking at the picture in general I get the impression that the pistol is being held for the benefit of the picture, rather than how it would be held for shooting.
tenex

Post by tenex »

David Levene wrote: I would agree with that Rob but the picture at the bottom of page 7 appears to show a large part of the thumb sticking out at an angle, unsupported by and not touching the grip.

I'm not saying that is wrong, everyone is different, just a bit unusual.

Looking at the picture in general I get the impression that the pistol is being held for the benefit of the picture, rather than how it would be held for shooting.
That's exactly how my thumb looks on certain grips. I have a Nill grip that my thumb sits nicely on the thumb shelf, but on the Pardini grips in particular my thumb hangs out the side. It's comfortable and repeatable so I don't fool with it, but I'd need to really hack up the grip to do anything about it, and I'm not sure it would make any difference (for me).

Steve.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Read what it says under the picture.

"The thumb shelf should allow your thumb to extend forward natu-
rally, providing support without requiring any muscle to hold it there.
Since everyone’s thumb has a unique curve, the thumb rest is a per-
sonalized fit."

He's not advocating a thumb position, because like he says "everyones thumb has a unique curve"
Chris

Post by Chris »

It looks like to me that this grip is too large for the person holding it and their hand is rotated in the grip to reach the trigger causing the thumb to stick more outward and not able to rest on the small shelf. Also to consider is the persons thumb may just point in that direction normally.

I have big hands so my thumb is pointing in the same general direction as the barrel but points upwards.

It would be easier tell if there were some more pictures.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

my thumb was half on and half off the thumb shelf of my nill grip. I found it very distracting, so i built a small walnut contour shape, and just yellow glued it to the thumb shelf profile to give just a bit more shelf. I spose bondo would work as well