Velocity of LP10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

Velocity of LP10

Post by Alex L »

Can anyone help me please?...

How do you increase the velocity of a Steyr LP10?
I cannot find any instructions in the book.

At the Club last week, it was pointed out to me that as the targets were tearing on the Back of the targets, it was due to a low velocity of the pellets. The guys reckon that an increase in velocity will improve accuracy.

I use 0.49 RWS pellets, which have been tested for the pistol. The competition targets that we use here are Edelmann.

Thanks. Alex L.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

To increase velocity, take off the grip and at the back of the gun (rear of barrel) you'll see a large screw face. Turn it clockwise to increase power. Only turn no more than quarter turn and then chrono it. You may need to repeat the process depending on how low the pressure has dropped.

Rob.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

It can be a good idea to shoot the gun from a wise and see what velocity makes the tightest group. There is usually a low speed and a higher speed that goes well, you do not want to fall in between :-)
Kent
MG5E-owner

Re: Velocity of LP10

Post by MG5E-owner »

Alex L wrote: How do you increase the velocity of a Steyr LP10?
I cannot find any instructions in the book.

At the Club last week, it was pointed out to me that as the targets were tearing on the Back of the targets, it was due to a low velocity of the pellets. The guys reckon that an increase in velocity will improve accuracy.
I own two Steyrs;- an older LP5 and a new LP10. The LP10 arrived from the factory preset at a very low muzzle velocity, it was tearing targets. This low vel setting is rather common for the LP10.
The velocity is easily adjustable, just turn the large slotted screw at the rear face of the gun (grips removed).
Adjust in small increments only, 1/8 to 1/4 turns only. Chronogaph to 155 m/s, take or give say 5 m/s. Experience from shooting Steyrs from a vice shows accuracy may vary a little bit, not much. Accuracy in the mentioned velocity window will outperform even the very best shooter!

You may consider this: a "dampened" (absorbed and muzzle compensated) and in addition barrel-vented gun like the LP 10 has no muzzle jump at firing. Increasing muzzle velocity will decrease "barrel time". That is usually beneficial, the gun then becomes "more forgiving".
But it comes at a cost: less "mileage" pr. sylinderfill. Considerably less...

My FWB P44 is as "absorbed, muzzle compensated and barrel-vented" as the Steyr LP10, but consumes less air pr. shot, set at same muzzle velocity as LP10. That puzzles me some.
The Steyr factory velocity setting may be low to "camuflage" the high air consumption of the LP10. Or so I think, at least....
jimsoars

Post by jimsoars »

Be careful - I think there is a small set screw on the side of the frame that keeps the screw from moving. You have to loosen the set screw before turning the velocity screw.

My LP10 seems to tear the paper as well. I upped the velocity and it got marginally better, but the sound increased a lot. I don't have a chrony, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Jim
Fred Mannis

Re: Velocity of LP10

Post by Fred Mannis »

[quote="MG5E-ownerMy FWB P44 is as "absorbed, muzzle compensated and barrel-vented" as the Steyr LP10, but consumes less air pr. shot, set at same muzzle velocity as LP10. That puzzles me some.
The Steyr factory velocity setting may be low to "camuflage" the high air consumption of the LP10. Or so I think, at least....[/quote]

That is my impression as well. The P44 may have a slightly larger cylinder volume. I don't have the pistosl nearby to check the volume marked on the cylinder.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Your velocity must be really low to tear an Edelman target. Crank that sucker up!

With the crappy American targets frequently used I have found that putting a second target behind it seems to stiffen them enough to make the holes much cleaner.

This also has a benefit in that after about half the match you'll have a large hole in the backer and can make a pretty confident sight adjustment from it.