Walther GSP Questions from a Newbie

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Raffy

Walther GSP Questions from a Newbie

Post by Raffy »

Hello there,

I have just picked up the sport and is considering buying a used Walther GSP from a friend.

1. Can you please advise if spare parts for this gun is still readily available? and from where? I am based in Manila and will probably have to get it via mail order.

2. Are grips readily available as well?

3. What are the things that I should look out for in a used GSP ?

Thank you very much.
Alex L

Second Hand Walther GSP

Post by Alex L »

Hi, Raffy,
Welcome to the sport.

I have a GSP,.22 longs. I have had it fir over 20 years, and it still works well.!

Yes, you can get spare parts , depending on how old the gun is. Usually, the only problem with them is when people have been dry firing, and not using a plastic buffer to stop the firing pin getting damaged.

Look at the barrel when it is taken off, to see if there is any corrosion in it.

Magazines can be a problem. The springs get tired, and therefore does not push up the next bullet. If the top of the magazine is badly worn, the follower slows down, and you would need to use a higher velocity bullet.

The gun is Very good for Standard Pistol, & Sport pistol, but is not so good for Rapid Fire.

Grips are available for the GSP all around the world. Moroni or KL do good grips.

If the gun is about 10 years old, it is worth around $500 - $600 Australian over here.

Normally there are 2 magazines, and a couple of changes for the rear sight blade comes with the gun. Instruction book should be with it also.

Good luck.
Alex L.
AlexE

GSP query from a newbie

Post by AlexE »

Raffy, I saw this post of yours, I'm very happy that you have finally been bitten by the shooting bug. Now I too am seriously considering adding sporting pistol to my air pistol shooting.

My gun hunting will start as soon as you have yours on hand.
golfer47

Post by golfer47 »

I just purchased a new GSP Expert from Earls Guns.He was very helpful, it was the easiest gun purchase I have ever made.I could not be happer with the gun or the Dealer. Use them if you are looking for a new gun.And no I do not work for them Ha! Ha!
Mike Taylor

GSP

Post by Mike Taylor »

With respect to your question number 3:
The bolt housing of mid 1970s vintage is susceptible to cracking after prolonged use. Look for a crack at the end of the slots in which the bolt cocking ears ride. The source of the crack appears to be a 'stress-raiser' created by the machining inside the housing - which results in fatigue failure. Later vintage bolt housings had modified machining that eliminated the stress-raiser and the cracking. (My GSP, purchased new in 1975, suffered such a failure. The replacement housing I purchased had the modified machining.)
If a gun with a crack continues to be used, cracks will develop at the other ends of the slots. Photos of such failures have been posted on the Internet.
M.T.
Raffy

Thanks

Post by Raffy »

golfer47 wrote:I just purchased a new GSP Expert from Earls Guns.He was very helpful, it was the easiest gun purchase I have ever made.I could not be happer with the gun or the Dealer. Use them if you are looking for a new gun.And no I do not work for them Ha! Ha!
Hi there, thanks for your post. I have contacted them (Earl) via email and yes they have the essential spares and grip that I may need for the GSP. Thanks and regards.
Raffy

Re: GSP

Post by Raffy »

Mike Taylor wrote:With respect to your question number 3:
The bolt housing of mid 1970s vintage is susceptible to cracking after prolonged use. Look for a crack at the end of the slots in which the bolt cocking ears ride. The source of the crack appears to be a 'stress-raiser' created by the machining inside the housing - which results in fatigue failure. Later vintage bolt housings had modified machining that eliminated the stress-raiser and the cracking. (My GSP, purchased new in 1975, suffered such a failure. The replacement housing I purchased had the modified machining.)
If a gun with a crack continues to be used, cracks will develop at the other ends of the slots. Photos of such failures have been posted on the Internet.
M.T.
Hi Mike, Thank you and I will certainly take a look at those places. How can I tell if the gun is "circa 70's or 80's?" Are there unique serial numbers for the year of manufacture?
Mike Taylor

GSP serial numbers

Post by Mike Taylor »

I suspect that somewhere there is a list tying GSP serial numbers to the date of manufacture, but I do not know where to find it. Perhaps another TT reader can help?
M.T.
golfer47

Post by golfer47 »

Glad I could help.
Popeye

GSP Year of Manufacture

Post by Popeye »

The GSP is stamped with a two letter code for the year of manufacture on the left side of the slide by the trigger. When A=0, B=1, C=2 etc, you will decipher the year it was made. Clever Germans!

A preference exists for post-1980's GSP's, and given the slide and mags are interchangeable with the .32S&W Long calibre, it's a no brainer.

Happy shooting.
Popeye

Conversion Units

Post by Popeye »

Further, the 1980's GSP's also receive the 2 stage trigger units that were designed for the last model of GSP, adn for the GSP expert.

Avoid the pre-1980's GSP's if you can.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The MIT collegiate pistol team had a couple of the pre-1980's GSP's. Apparently there was a design flaw, and something (I don't recall what) tended to break. Both of the MIT pistols failed, and when Walther was contacted about repair parts, they said to buy new pistols. They weren't even apologetic about it.

They knew about the problem, and they fixed it in the new design. What they didn't bother to do was to make any effort to keep parts available to repair existing older pistols. They seemed to view their design mistake as an opportunity to sell more pistols.

I had the similar parts problems with an LP3 and a CP-1. Once they come out with a new design, or discontinue one, they make no (or at least very little) attempt to stockpile any parts for the older designs.

Maybe the situation with the newer GSP's is better, either because they made them for so many years, or because of a change in corporate attitude. I, for one, will never buy another Walther product.
nvalcik

RE: Walther GSP

Post by nvalcik »

I personally like the pre-1980 single stage triggers. I have upper units on mine for the .32 and the 22LR that are the GSP Expert versions and I have never had a problem with either one of them yet. I also recently found and bought a dry fire training trigger for the GSP that I am going to be using quite a bit for practice. It took me quite a while to find one.
customs954

GSP

Post by customs954 »

Earls repair in Ma. has parts for walthers. Was just emailing him and he gets them from Walther in Germany. You should think about getting the usual spares ie firing pin , extractor and main spring. The guns post 1975 had no issues, the older ones could have frame cracking. Dont use high velocity ammo, only standard velocity. Ive never had to replace any parts on mine, its25 years old still shoots way better than me, never jams, does not have to be especially clean to function well, in other words bullet proof. I got a better grip from Earls's as well. He sells the actual walther grips that come with the pistol.
FredB

Re: GSP Year of Manufacture

Post by FredB »

Popeye wrote:The GSP is stamped with a two letter code for the year of manufacture on the left side of the slide by the trigger. When A=0, B=1, C=2 etc, you will decipher the year it was made. Clever Germans!

A preference exists for post-1980's GSP's, and given the slide and mags are interchangeable with the .32S&W Long calibre, it's a no brainer.

Happy shooting.
Interesting. My GSP has the marking "HK", which must mean, according to your code, that it was made in (19)710. It was actually made, I believe, in the mid-to-late 1970s, and is fully compatible with all later GSP slides, mags and triggers.

FredB
Popeye

GSP Year of Manufacture

Post by Popeye »

Fred - I'm surprised the code does not apply to your GSP. I was informed about it directly from someone at Walther in Germany.
jpreid

Walther magazines - Scam

Post by jpreid »

There is a German website (germanguns.de) that advertises Walther magazines at half the price you can get them from Earls. I have been waiting for mine for four months and all I get is a run around and verbal abuse. The guys name is Claus Chowanietz. He sells on ebay as "Kuttlemuttel."
TonyT

Re: Walther GSP Questions from a Newbie

Post by TonyT »

For part your can contacts Earl's in MA or Champion Shooters and Champions Choice.
Raffy wrote:Hello there,

I have just picked up the sport and is considering buying a used Walther GSP from a friend.

1. Can you please advise if spare parts for this gun is still readily available? and from where? I am based in Manila and will probably have to get it via mail order.

2. Are grips readily available as well?

3. What are the things that I should look out for in a used GSP ?

Thank you very much.
jpreid

Claus Chowanietz (germanguns.de)

Post by jpreid »

Last year I posted a message about the creep in Germany who sells items at a good price. I tried ordering 2 rifle magazines. I never got them. According to claus, the post office lost them. After a little research I found that a lot of his mailings get lost. This guy is the textbook definition of SLEAZE!

AVOID HIM AT ALL COST, OR IT WILL COST YOU!!
Alex L

Walther Questions for a Newbie

Post by Alex L »

Hi,
As I stated, I have had a GSP for over 20 years.
Some of the early models had problems with the frame, but the newer one are fine.

My wife's Walther had this problem, and the company replaced the part.

Regarding using the gun for Rapid Fire I bought a 65gram weight from Earl last year, just before the World Masters Games. I fitted it on myself,and produced excellent results during the Games.
It fitted perfectly onto the gun, and did not make it front heavy. However, it needs a lot of training with it, and a new orthopaedic grip and low velocity ammo (SK) will make the gun more reliable. It will fit the specifications for the match.

Other guys say there is a problem with the magazines - well, if you clean them regularly, and don't drop them they are OK. I have not had any problems.

A single stage trigger is better on the early models.

Good luck. Alex L.