MG5 - original compensator to be exchanged

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MG5-owner

MG5 - original compensator to be exchanged

Post by MG5-owner »

I have used my new MG5 for å few weeks now. There are a few pros and cons.
- A chambered round cannot be extracted by simply opening the receiver. It has to be either fired, or staked out by a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. I do not favor this feature.

-The MG5 is MUCH heavier than listed in the user manual. The total gun weight as listed WITH the rods/counterweighs is actually the total weight WITHOUT the rods/weights. Hence, the weight of the gun is close to 100 grams (3.3 oz) heavier than listed! I think this is due to the steel plates that are attached to both sides of the gun's action, in order to make the action more rigid. This is the main difference from its predecessor, the Hämmerli FP10.
- As for the FP10, there is not enough mass at the muzzle end. I've taped a 25 gram lead chunk to the compensator and removed all weight rods. Regrettably, the surfaces of the MG5 compensator are curved, thus making it hard to attach wheel rim weights. The compensator of the FP10 had flat sides...
It was difficult and time comsuming to remove lead buildup from the FP10 comp, same goes for the MG5 comp.

So, I have decided to exchange the original MG5 comp for the swedish "Blow Out" type compensator. I think this comp. is now made to fit some FP barrel diameters too? The "Blow Out" compensator features flat surfaces, and it is obviously easier to clean.

Could you please tell me where I could purchase this compensator. I reckon it is made in Sweden.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

MG-5 owner,

With only a few months experience with my MG-5 I am curious as to why you would want to remove a chambered round. The chamber of my MG-5 is "tight". I have tried many brands of ammo to just find what I can load into the chamber easily. CCI Standard will not. A couple of brands of Eley fit only if I manually remove the wax coating from the bullet. I have settled on RWS Target Rifle which fits perfectly, ejects well, and could be removed with the addition of fingernail help if I needed to.

I have never weighed my MG-5. With Matchguns animated image of the MG-5 on their website I noticed they show a two stage trigger which is not the case of the MG-5. I did not expect a two stage trigger when I ordered my MG-5. I use two of the rods and place all the weight on them angled forward. I am quite satisfied.

The compensator on my MG-5 is totally flat on the bottom side of it.

As for being difficult and time consuming to clean the compensator; is there an easy one to clean? I hate cutting grass with a passion but I still do it.

I have no complaints with my MG-5. I have certainly enjoying shooting the pistol. It is a great challenge.

I do have a personal problem with sight alignment due to a physical problem that I have. I am working on solving that situation with a special Rink grip which is on order.
MG5E-owner

Post by MG5E-owner »

[quote="Jack Milchanowski"]
The compensator on my MG-5 is totally flat on the bottom side of it.
[quote]

Strange that is, - the bottom side of the comp of my new MG-5E is curved. My gun's serial number i close to 1300.

Why remove a loaded cartridge from the guns chamber?...you asked? (or more appropriate, why then chamber that round in the first place?)
Are you kidding me?

Sometimes, - not very often I admit, though, due to an unforeseen occuranse, a range officer may command: "Cease firing, unload guns"....

Hopefully, this discourse has cleared up things. :-)

My MG5 arrived with two trigger units, mechanical and electronic. At present I have installed the mechanical trigger, set at 100 grams or so. This mech. trigger unit is a single stage. There is no tensioning screw for another spring/stage of the trigger.

With my old FP 10, I removed the spring for the 1. stage, to get a single stage trigger.
Some FP10s were shipped with a single tage trigger only,- by installing a proper spring in the first stage spring holes, you've got a two stage trigger.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

MG5 owner,

It sounds like you have an MG5 and an FP10. If this is the case could you tell me if an MG5 trigger unit can fit an FP10? When I first looked at the MG5 in 2005 I noticed the trigger unit was different than the FP10 in design.

Brian
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-5/5E Info

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Some info on the MG-5 and the MG-5E. Make absolutely sure to clean the combustion crud from the small parts/levers of these pistols-sort of preventive maintenance.I will try to attach a photo of my MG-5 pistol with some small mods I performed on it. One is a short trigger-for a more straight back trigger pull to reduce lateral errors(windage) caused by trigger position. The other is a weight system from a CM-84E. If anyone wants to see photo of mods for the MG-5/5E let me know.I can't seem to attach the photo to this reply
Jack Milchanowski

Ernie--I would love to see the pictures. When you have a chance please email them to me.

MG-5 guest--My serial number is FE1141 with the flat bottom compensator.

Come see us in the woods.
Jack
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-5

Jack-photo sent.
MG5E-owner

Trigger units similar, but porbably not interchangable...

Post by MG5E-owner »

Brian James wrote:MG5 owner,

It sounds like you have an MG5 and an FP10. If this is the case could you tell me if an MG5 trigger unit can fit an FP10? When I first looked at the MG5 in 2005 I noticed the trigger unit was different than the FP10 in design.

Brian
Brian, at present I own a MG5E w/ extra el. trigger unit only.
I owned an early issue of the FP10 for 9 years, traded it off some time ago. Too me the trigger units of the MG5 and FP10 appear similar, but i don't think they are interchangable.
The FP10 triger had from the very beginning some creep. The mechanical trigger of my MG5E does not have any disturbing degree of creep (not now, at least). The internal construction of the mechanical triger of the MG5 and the FP10 appear quite similar.

The compensator of my MG5E features a convex bottom, no flats suitable for attaching "glue-on" rim balancing weights, regrettably. :-(

Re: MG-5/5E Info

Post by Guest »

Ernie Rodriguez wrote: I will try to attach a photo of my MG-5 pistol with some small mods I performed on it. One is a short trigger-for a more straight back trigger pull to reduce lateral errors(windage) caused by trigger position.
The trigger reach of my MG5E, with the original MG grip, is a bit on the long side for my hand. (I have mediumsized hands, with relatively long fingers.)
Ernie Rodriguez wrote: The other is a weight system from a CM-84E.
Very interesting this, Ernie....
Ernie Rodriguez wrote: If anyone wants to see photo of mods for the MG-5/5E let me know.I can't seem to attach the photo to this reply
We would all love to see your MG5 photos, Ernie!

(Heck, maybe I had better register, to get the MG5 photos by e-mail.....)
MG5E-owner

Re: MG-5/5E Info

Post by MG5E-owner »

Ernie Rodriguez wrote: If anyone wants to see photo of mods for the MG-5/5E let me know.
I'm in!
You may now send the photos by e-mail, Ernie.
Ernie Rodriguez

Photos MG-5/5E

If anyone wants photos of the 2 MG pistols-PM me your regular email-so I can send them to you. From these photos you can see 2 methods of achieving shorter triggers and how neat looking/functional the Morini weight system fits this pistol. I will also include some very important preventive maintenance tips to keep the pistol in excellent operating order. I can't send these photos through this system as I believe they are a little too big.
Jack Milchanowski

This is a shot of the compensator on my MG-5.
Attachments
1154.jpg
1154.jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
Weekend Shooter

Post by Weekend Shooter »

Ernie's got a point on keeping the gun clean. The lever on mine got stuck in the open position. I took the assembly apart cleaned it and put it back inside. As the pins that hold the trigger assembly together have no circlips on the side, I suspect that they move out of place and jam the lever's movement. I placed some MDS grease at the sides of the pin and it has never jammed since. My comp is the black flat type type.
Attachments
DSCN0909.jpg
nvalcik

RE: MG5

Post by nvalcik »

So far I have been really impressed with the MG5. My MG5 is a mechanical trigger and is very crisp. I have no reliability problems with it and I think it is pretty light. My compensator is the same as Jack's. I compared the MG5 with the new Hammerli and in my opinion I came out the far superior free pistol by buying the MG5. It is getting harder to find a mechanical trigger free pistol. Before this I was shooting a Morini CM-80 Supercomp which I still really enjoy shooting.
Jack Milchanowski

This is Ernie's MG-5. I posted the image he emailed to me (without asking permission). I resized it for posting.
Attachments
MG-5%20ST%202%20004.jpg
MG-5%20ST%202%20004.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-5

Way to go Jack!! The trigger is from Match Gun Company and I altered it for rearward position.It is much further to the rear than a stock trigger and it helps me pull trigger" straight to the rear" and reduce lateral errors while releasing the shot. The weights are from a CM84E and fit perfectly.The rear weight is adj to reduce any vibration from rod and the front weight varies the balance. Between the muzzle brake and weight system the pistol hardly moves when firing-not that this is too important in FP shooting.
Last edited by Ernie Rodriguez on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nvalcik

RE: MG5

Post by nvalcik »

Ernie,

I really like how you put the CM-84E weights on the barrel. Did you get the new modified 3 piece trigger mechanism working correctly from Matchguns? I still have a 2 piece trigger mechanism on mine but for the mechanical trigger it does not seem to be causing any problems.
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-5/MG5E Info FYI

Since both the MG5E and the MG-5 pistols are so easy to disassemble-I would suggest the following.After 500 rounds-disassemble pistols and with a thin type oil (Kroil penatrating oil,Ballistol or Break Free CLP) clean all levers/small parts and then blow out same parts with a can of pressurized air. This will clean crud from parts and leaving a very THIN coating of oil on all parts.It would be a good idea to make this a MANDATORY preventive maintenance proceedure. I have also found,on these pistols,best accuracy is found,generally speaking,with quality ammo within the velocity range of 1000 to 1100 fps.For me a shorter trigger made it easier to get off a good shot compared to a standard/too long trigger.In my opinion the MG-5 pistol with a mechanical trigger is an excellent alternative and posesses many advanced features.
MG5E-owner

Bottom not flat...

Post by MG5E-owner »

Weekend Shooter wrote: My comp is the black flat type.
The picture from Jack shows a blue (older version?) compensator with a flat bottom.

Your gun has the same black compensator as my MG5E.
The upper part of your compensator (to the rear of the gas ports) are flat, but to small for attaching glue-on wheel rim weights.
But your compensator is not flat-bottomed, "Weekend Shooter"...:-)
Weekend Shooter

Post by Weekend Shooter »

Yeah you're right... not quite flat... Artistic license... Anyway, have you had any problems with your piece so far? What are your two cents on the pistol.