How is range distance measured?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bztian

How is range distance measured?

Post by bztian »

Hi, I am setting a 6m range in my living room, now speaking of the distance of 6m, or 10m, is it the distance from the shooter's front foot to the target? or from the muzzle? But I guess since each shooter's muzzle is placed at different place due to differences in arm length and pistol length, it may not be possible. I am new to this sport, bought a IZH-46M, printed some 6m target from this website. I need some help setting up my "silent pellet trap" made from a metal box stuffed with duct putty. Thanks.

Bob
David M

Post by David M »

Rear edge of firing line (foot line) to front face of target.

Post by Guest »

from the foot. what might work easier is get a stack of phone books and put your target in front of them
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Mmmm, this is a very interesting question… I have never thought about it carefully...

I have set my ranges this way and have placed the bench/gun rest so it is right behind this line...

But if 10 M is from the front of the target to the firing line (firing line is narrow enough so there is no front or rear part of this line) then my questions are:
Can you cross the firing line with your pistol/rifle barrel? What about with your arm? Or should the most front part of the gun be behind the firing line?

Best Regards,

AZUARO
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

azuaro wrote:Can you cross the firing line with your pistol/rifle barrel? What about with your arm?
Your gun, arm and any part of your body can cross the firing line providing it doesn't touch the ground (or obviously anything else).
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Thank you so much David...

I always thought that the bench's edge was right at the firing line but now I realize that this is not the case...

Someone emailed me The ISSF Technical Rules and rule 6.3.15.4.3 shows the bench's edge .10M in front of the firing line...Se also 6.3.15.2.1

Regards,

AZUARO