AP: 560's - Are there many/any 8's?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Oz

AP: 560's - Are there many/any 8's?

Post by Oz »

I was curious... maybe also something about being 'normal'?

Are there 'typically' many 8's in the 560's?

I would think that by the 570's there are no longer any 8's. It's just a balance of 9's and 10's that determines the scores 570 and beyond, right?

Oz
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I just looked at the 570 in 41st place at the Milan World Cup.

30x10, 20x9 & 5x8
TPE

Post by TPE »

This winter I shot an average around 565. Usually I had 4-6x8. My only competition result without any eights was 572, but I think even the few scores >575 I have managed to shoot in recent years included one or two eights. -TP
Oz

Post by Oz »

Ahh, thanks for the insight! I'm relatively new to competitive shooting and I have a lot of mis-conceptions about what it's like to be a ___ shooter. It means a lot to me to hear that the occasional 8's find their way into the 570 scores.

I'll dig in to answer my next question; How often do 7's occasionally find their way into the 560 scores?

Oz
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Oz wrote:Ahh, thanks for the insight! I'm relatively new to competitive shooting and I have a lot of mis-conceptions about what it's like to be a ___ shooter. It means a lot to me to hear that the occasional 8's find their way into the 570 scores.

I'll dig in to answer my next question; How often do 7's occasionally find their way into the 560 scores?

Oz
Hey Oz,
Just because the good shooters have some eights or an occasional 7, don't conclude that it is okay to have them yourself. If you allow them in your shooting, they will show up more often.
ben
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I just looked at the 560 in 55th place at the Milan World Cup.

26x10, 29x9, 4x8 & 1x7
Oz

Post by Oz »

Freepistol wrote: Hey Oz,
Just because the good shooters have some eights or an occasional 7, don't conclude that it is okay to have them yourself. If you allow them in your shooting, they will show up more often.
ben
Indeed. I can appreciate that trap and it it did occur to me. I think I can use this information for good and not evil.
David Levene wrote:I just looked at the 560 in 55th place at the Milan World Cup.

26x10, 29x9, 4x8 & 1x7
David, where do you get shooting results this granular? The result docs I see (Milan 2009 included) only show me the (6) 10 shot totals.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Come on down to Phoenix Rod & Gun Club for our next International match and myself and some of the other guys will show you how to shoot a bunch of "8s" and still look OK.

I personally attribute them to "Senior Moments" or something else (I forget what).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Oz wrote: David, where do you get shooting results this granular? The result docs I see (Milan 2009 included) only show me the (6) 10 shot totals.
If you look at the Sius results pages, drill down all the way to the qualifying results then select the shooter and click the "print" button (just above the results).
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Oz wrote:...David, where do you get shooting results this granular? The result docs I see (Milan 2009 included) only show me the (6) 10 shot totals.
go to http://results.sius.com/, select the competition, select the event, select a phase (final, qual, shoot-off), select a shooter and select print
you will be amazed
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Not to say that I am normal but I shoot around 560
A hit in the white, that was years ago
A match without an 8 is rare, but it happens
A 7? Yes, but then one was not realy shooting :-)

Kent
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Oz, try to shoot 10's.

don't be satisfied with 9's. remember that 60 x 9's is still a lousy 540 (my present number. Something to do with my birth date...).

But I do shoot a hell of a lot of nines. and, of course, some lesser numbers too..
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

I personally flub shots when I "try" to shoot a 10. Have faith in your hold and just pull the d!#$ trigger is what I tell myself. No try=10, try=8.

Also I don't like to think about it because there is a tendency to say "oh f*!&" an 8 (or 7), there goes my changes for a personal best. Which is really not true, because my personal best includes a few 8's and even a 7. I think that watching your "rings" shrink over time is a good way to track your progress, but for me, if I think about it while shooting the results are disastrous.

One of the ways to practice I've been doing is to use one paper target for the entire practice session. I don't care about 10 or 9 count, just how many shots left the 9. So I am practicing not thinking about 10's, a 9 is fine. So at the end of the session I usually end up with the center gone, a few shots in the 8 but no 7's. Slowly but surely this has helped and drastically reduced the 7's in match runs by avoiding thinking about 10's. I know this is sort of illogical but it works to fool my subconscious. Unfortunately halfway through a match run I'll start thinking about 10's again but I'm getting better.

Anyway, for me it is best to avoid the questions posted by the OP.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

David Levene wrote:I just looked at the 570 in 41st place at the Milan World Cup.

30x10, 20x9 & 5x8
Pretty impressive to shoot a 570 with only 55 shots ;)
Chris

Post by Chris »

What I have noticed for myself is in the 570 you have some 8's. I focus more on how many 10's did I get. More than 50%? 60%? When shooting 580+ is where you start to see only 10's and 9's. Not all of the time but most of the time.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

john bickar wrote:
David Levene wrote:I just looked at the 570 in 41st place at the Milan World Cup.

30x10, 20x9 & 5x8
Pretty impressive to shoot a 570 with only 55 shots ;)
Mea culpa. I obviously got bored counting that many tens ;-)

Let's try:-
35x10, 20x9 & 5x8
appletree

Post by appletree »

no mater how many 8 or worst you shoot just back focus on your next shoot. Last week i took my scoring shooting , i shoot 571 with 8(5x). with last 60 shoot was 10. i have have score last month 575 with 8(3X) on my best condition. I shoot AP for 1 year 4 month. I don't have personal trainer nor electronic trainer. Only strong will that goncharov or nestruev did shoot 585 up so i can. except they eat ammo or nail for their lunch so i can't follow them LOL

Post by Guest »

You can get away with a few 8's if you rack up a bunch of 10's. I shot a 583 one time with 3 8's. However, that is the difference from having a decent match to having a great match. It just depends on what you want out of shooting. When you go overseas and have your clock cleaned, it changes your perspective, or should. I went to a match an air gun match in Germany one time. It was a 3 times over. I had 580, 581 and 583 (no 8's). I worked like a trojan and was 5th after the final on the last day. The thing is that many of the big names were not there, no Russians, no Chinese, no Swedes. If they had been there, I would not even have made the final. I am not even sure where I am going with this other than to say you have to develop the 10 mentality and hone that state of mind. You will find the frequency of lower value shots begin to lessen and your confidense will increase...and it is mental game.
Chris

Post by Chris »

if you spend your time focusing on shooting 10's then you will shot good scores.
Oz

Post by Oz »

Rover wrote:Come on down to Phoenix Rod & Gun Club for our next International match...
It's most likely that I'll be headed down for at least one match in Phoenix. The SLC club usually makes a trip or two per year. They just left without me this last time. I understand that Zurek is coming up to SLC this fall for a clinic as well. I'm sure he'll recruit a bunch of shooters to come down.