Old Pellets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jat

Old Pellets

Post by jat »

I have recently been given a significant quantity of 4.5 mm pellets from various well known manufacturers labeled "match". They are very dark due to oxidation; having been stored in non-sealed containers for perhaps 6 years. May I please have your opinions regarding if these may be used in high grade competition compressed air pistols and rifles without causing damage to the barrels? Thanks. JAT
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

They will cause no harm, lead being somewhat softer than a gun barrel.

Rob.
jmessina

oxidized pellets

Post by jmessina »

The pellet itself is softer than the barrel. However, the oxidation is somewhat abrasive and will do something to the barrel. Just how bad is not known.

Post by Guest »

Are they fully oxidized, i.e. presence of chalky white crystalline powder, or just discolored? They may be fine for practice ammunition, provided that they are not truly oxidized.

toznerd
jat

Old Pellets

Post by jat »

The pellets are very dark in color and do not have a white or chalky appearance. So I suppose that I should just use them for practice. Thanks for your responses. JAT
ronpistolero

old pellets

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi,

If there are white powder/crystalization around, then that's pretty much alright. Use them for some serious shooting if you want. Bench test them to assure your mind that they are ok. However, if otherwise, there's a thread here about removing the oxidation via soaking them in coca cola and rinsing them and then spray them with good quality silicone based oil.

Regards,

Ron
Rover

Post by Rover »

So what if they're grungy and IF they're abrasive you'll save yourself the cost of a bore lapping job.

I haven't played with my match pistols, but I've seen air rifles constricted at the breech. This sizes the pellet too small for the bore. Maybe the choke at the muzzle saves it, but then again....

Now you have one more thing to fret about.
RL

Post by RL »

If possible double check the factory fresh colour from the manufacturer website. Some pellets come in a dark colour.