New Steyr LP10, couple questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cloudswimmer

New Steyr LP10, couple questions

Post by cloudswimmer »

Hi guys, well i took delivery of my new silver Steyr LP10 last Friday and have had a chance to shoot it a couple nights now.First I didn't buy it to make me a better shooter, but to have a high end quality pistol to add to my custom firearms collection.Before the LP10 I had an Izzy (only for a couple weeks) but so far have shot much better scores with the Izzy.I was averaging 540 with the Izzy but am having a hard time just holding the black with the LP10. The LP10 is very light in comparison to the Izzy, and I'm having a hard time keeping it steady compared to my heavier izzy and firearms.Is their a way to make the LP10 heavier besides the barrel weights it came with, or do I just need to adjust to this guns lighter weight?

Second is the grip.I sent pilk a photocopy of my hand, and they said I was in between a small and medium, and recommended the medium but said I could switch to the small if I felt it was just way too big.So I have the medium grip, but I seem to be kicking my shots to the left a bit when my hand is positioned in the grip so there is maximum hand contact and the barrel is aligned perfectly straight with my arm.The trigger seems a smidgen bit of a reach.If one is between sizes is it better to go smaller or bigger?I don't really want to start sanding the grip since I'm so new to AP and have alot of other skills to work on.Plus the grip is finished so nice I'd be hard for me to start hacking at it at this point.Should I maybe buy the small grip too, play around with both sizes, then try and sell the one I don't want?

Thanks for any tips...................Chris
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Try moving the trigger back a touch. And don't be shy about adjusting how much finger you use.
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

Mike M. wrote:Try moving the trigger back a touch. And don't be shy about adjusting how much finger you use.
Mike, do you mean twisting my hand in the grip to the right a bit so I have more finger on the trigger?

Thanks!...........Chris
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

I think he means moving the actual trigger back closer to the grip.

I had issues for a week or two when I switched from my IZH to an LP2.

I spent some time dry firing in front of a blank wall making the gun point naturally for me and getting a comfortable trigger position.

I shoot this gun about $100 per point better than the Izzy.

IM sent about a grip.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'd probably be inclined to switch to the smaller grip. You can always pad it out later if it's required, and there really isn't a great deal of difference between small and medium - my girlfriend had the same issue so we ended up with both sizes, the small fits her better and required less work on the grip to get it to fit her better.

I'd suggest just getting used to the change in weight and balance of the LP10, it will take a few weeks at least before you feel happy with it. I'd also suggest leaving the gun be for now, and if in a few weeks time you still don't like the balance then consider adding the weights to steady the gun.

Rob.
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

Thanks guys.Scott at Pilk is sending me out a small grip to try, and said I could return the one I don't want.Unheard of customer service!I also ordered the heavier grip weight, but will give it a few weeks using it stock.Another question here, Pilk sent me the gun with the front sight moved back a couple notches with the reason being its better to start out with for new shooters.However I shoot large bore revolvers with very long barrels/sight radius, so should I just go ahead and move the LP10 front sight all the way to the front, or continue shooting it back for a while.

chris
Isabel (as guest)

Post by Isabel (as guest) »

I don't know about you but I love my new LP10. I have had mine about a week also. I am starting to be able to get really good groups with it and love the fact that I can shoot in my house. I pick it up every day after work and start shooting. Great iron sight practice and I can tell it is going to make me better with all my guns. Isabel.
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

cloudswimmer wrote:Thanks guys.Scott at Pilk is sending me out a small grip to try, and said I could return the one I don't want.Unheard of customer service!I also ordered the heavier grip weight, but will give it a few weeks using it stock.Another question here, Pilk sent me the gun with the front sight moved back a couple notches with the reason being its better to start out with for new shooters.However I shoot large bore revolvers with very long barrels/sight radius, so should I just go ahead and move the LP10 front sight all the way to the front, or continue shooting it back for a while.

chris
I have put it in the most rearward position, closer to the rear sight, i shoot regularely close to 560. My training partner, Pål Hembre, who is the most winning pistol shooter here in Norway does the same. This way it seem more stable. It is also possible to move the rear sight forth and back to your liking. The grip angle is multi-adjustable, up-down and sideways. You should be able to find a position that will get you pointing in the right direction.

The trigger is also adjustable in every direction so you should get this to work pretty well.

The funny thing about grip sizes is that i have two morini grips for my LP10, both M size but one is way larger than the other. The older one is smaller.
edster99

Post by edster99 »

Dont panic - your grip will take a while before you are perfectly happy with it (18 months and counting). Dont be afraid to adjust it a lot until you start to home in on what works - mine is twisted around the action as far as ti will go anticlockwise viewed from the top, but now I lift and it is perfectly aligned... every time. The more you practice, the more you will begin to fell where tis not right. But I would not expect to ever have a stock grip giving you a perfect fit. A good fit gives a really nice feeling which helps you concentrate on all the 100 other things.
ronpistolero

LP10

Post by ronpistolero »

Just my two cents worth. One of the best things I like about the Steyr is its light weight because, then, it gives you many more options to experiment with additional/optional weights and how they affect the gun's balance vis-a-vis your preferences without making it very heavy. It's a fairly long process to really get the feel of it but rest assured, you have the same gun being used by the very best shooters in the world.

Ron
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Chris,
You have gone from a Ford to a Ferrari :-)

My 2 cents - since you are used to shooting heavy long barrel revolvers, I would go for the longest sight radius and put all four weights out at the end of the barrel. You may not end there, but I think that is a good starting point for you.

You didn't say whether the sights are aligned when the gun comes up. You need to establish this (with the grip adjustments) and then adjust the trigger so that tip/pad of your forefinger rests comfortably on the trigger shoe and is at right angles to the barrel. The LP10 has a lot of controls, so take your time.

Re 'kicking your shots to the left' - is this relative to where you called it, or relative to the bull? During this process of setting up the pistol, I suggest you keep it simple and just shoot for group on a blank card.
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

Thanks again guys.Lots of great tips here!Haven't had this much fun since my first ruger MkI as a kid!Kanedal mentioned the rear site is also adjustable fore and aft.It doesn't seem to explain this in the manual.How do you adjust the rear site fore and aft?Fred, I rented a Ferrari Modina once.Man it was beautiful to look at, but hard to drive at first.Was really starting to have fun with it right before I had to turn it back in.This time I get to keep it eh ;)
pirellip

Post by pirellip »

cloudswimmer wrote:Thanks again guys.Lots of great tips here!Haven't had this much fun since my first ruger MkI as a kid!Kanedal mentioned the rear site is also adjustable fore and aft.It doesn't seem to explain this in the manual.How do you adjust the rear site fore and aft?Fred, I rented a Ferrari Modina once.Man it was beautiful to look at, but hard to drive at first.Was really starting to have fun with it right before I had to turn it back in.This time I get to keep it eh ;)
Rear sight movement is done by loosening off the 2.5 allen screw (it's accessed via a slot in the rear sight) In your manual at the front, it's screw #5
Rover

Post by Rover »

You don't want the barrel aligned "perfectly straight" with your arm.

You want the barrel to point slightly to the right (if you're a righty) so that when you align the sights on target you are not straining your neck or bending your wrist.

Everything should be relaxed and natural.