Modern pentathlon- different approach?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
joecon

Modern pentathlon- different approach?

Post by joecon »

Hi, I currently help train a young woman in the air pistol section of the modern pentathlon (MP). She is new to shooting (4mths) & I had started her on the basics, which included using a sub 6 hold. In Jan of this year the format of the MP was changed (see http://www.pentathlon.org/index.php?id=256) to one where the shooting & running are combined such that two of the shooting stages will take place were the athlete has just completed a 1km run. Actual scores are not the object, but to hit 5 disks (the size of black on 10m target) in the shortest time- max allowed 70 seconds.
I don't have any experience of shooting in speed events, so what of normal 10m AP shot procedure should change for this event? Would centre hold be more suitable? Thanks.
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

I'm interested in opinions on this too. Just taken up shooting precisely because the modern pentathlon rules have changed (I normally do just biathlon/biathle). Currently finding that sub-6 works best for me but haven't tried the combined running/shooting yet.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

My personal feelings are to stick to a normal sub-6 hold. Train precision to get that bit technically good, before introducing the speed element. I would then increase match training coming into a match (i.e. the speed and black centres) and then revert back to more precision training. I would intersperse matches with precision training, during the season, practising just the matches for maybe a few weeks before big comps. It really depends on how comfortable the shooter feels switching from slow to faster firing and how well they shoot technically.

Rob.
Mike M. (logged as guest)

Post by Mike M. (logged as guest) »

I am perplexed. After reading the new Modern Pentathlon rules, the way this is intended to work is as clear as so much mud. Do you run, shoot, then resume running as soon as you shoot all the targets? Or is there a fixed penalty per miss?

The business of requiring that the AP be loaded contacting the bench seems a bit absurd, as well.

And I don't know if anyone else caught it, but the mention of some sort of laser apparatus as an alternative to air pistol is very, very worrying...somebody might try to foist it off on the rest of us. Air pistol is concession enough, in my view.
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

Do you run, shoot, then resume running as soon as you shoot all the targets?

Yes, there's a time limit of seventy seconds to get all five targets down. You can use as many pellets as you need to achieve this. If you still have targets standing after the seventy seconds have expired, you can then continue running. If you get all five down sooner than this, then you can leave the range immediately. They did experiment with variations which involved penalties of various types (cf. winter biathlon) but ended up with what I've described above. In test competitions, the top people are getting all five down in about 40 seconds.
mmp

Post by mmp »

Laser?

I was informed by our National President that the laser was approved by the International Body and that the rules will be published soon.

I am from South Africa.
edster99

Post by edster99 »

I'm right in thinking you can only use single shot AP's though, not 5 shot (i.e. LP5) ? That would certainly help, you could get a few away in 70secs with a 5 shot magazine...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

edster99 wrote:I'm right in thinking you can only use single shot AP's though, not 5 shot (i.e. LP5) ? That would certainly help, you could get a few away in 70secs with a 5 shot magazine...
Rule B.5.19 i):-
"Only single shot pistol is allowed without any form of magazine or clip"