New seals in an Avanti

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

DanOelke

New seals in an Avanti

Post by DanOelke »

I am taking over some of the maintenance duty for our county's 4-H shooting sports program. As such I have a lot of questions and I'm hoping you guys can help me with any/some of them.

We have a number of Daisy Powerline 977's that don't have much power... I'm not sure what is going on as I haven't torn into them yet, but you can hear that they don't have the speed that other 977 rifles have. Does anyone know what the size of O-rings are that these rifles use?

We also have some single-pump Avanti's. I'm not sure if these single pumps are 853 or 953 or ??. How can I tell - because I don't find any model number, just a serial number on the barrel? I'm just going to call them 853s.

So I have an 853 torn down right now. There is an O ring on the piston and another at the end of the compressed air chamber. Both of these seem to be in good shape but as soon as I figure out the right size I might replace them anyway. I pump the rifle and I hear air hissing out somewhere. I did not find an o-ring in the valve assembly - just the pin and spring inside the valve that are hit by the hammer. Is there supposed to be an O-ring on the pin?

I got some parts diagrams from emailed from Daisy, but they look like they were faxed then scanned into a PDF so the image quality is poor. The breakdown of parts is also not good so I can't tell from an "O-ring and valve group" exactly where I should or shouldn't have an O-ring much less what size. That's where I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thank you much for any help!
n4jee

This may help if you have 753-853-953 gun

Post by n4jee »

The part number for the kit should be 853-1.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/me ... rial+Essay

Gene Jenkins
Keystone Heights Florida
n4jee@arrl.net
352-478-8012
DanOelke

Post by DanOelke »

Gene - that picture tutorial is great!!! I've had a couple of these 853s apart and together again, but still learned a couple of great hints there.

I'm going to try using some O-rings from Grainger tonight and if that doesn't work, then I'll order some kits from Daisy. My leak might be from the plunger not seating properly or might be past the O-rings. I'm not sure which.

It's not that I'm cheap (Ok - maybe I am) but I figure a bag of 100 O-rings for $4.03 will last me several years as compared to $2.50/rifle.
ed larson

Post by ed larson »

Fantastic!!!
ajvenom

Lube the felt pump ring in the pump

Post by ajvenom »

Sometimes if a Dasiy x53 has been sitting around for a while....a little lube may keep it from leaking.