Aluminum Stocks for Smallbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Aluminum Stocks for Smallbore

Post by Guest »

Hi all,

Was wondering what are some popular aluminum stocks out there for the Anschutz 54 action?

MEC Project is familiar however results on google seem to be limited.

Cheers,
Lenny
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

There is: http://www.hps-tr.com/prods_ultra_stocks.asp

Good time to buy now that the £ has nosedived against just about every other currency.

Rutty
Boblor

aluminum stock

Post by Boblor »

You might have a look at the M.Werks, LLC Aluminum stock.http://www.mwerksllc.com/

a few weeks back there was pictures and a discription of this stock on 6mmbr.com in the section dealing with new products.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Bill Earnest may end up entering a partnership with the guy in the link from Boblor. He had one of those stocks at the Palmyra Invitational this weekend. It looks interesting, and the discussed price was I believe $895.

It's an interesting idea to say the least. I don't have the resources to personally give it a good work through, but anyone that does, please let me know how it works.
methosb

Post by methosb »

The "MEC Project" stock is actually the French-made GE600 stock, but their website is dead it would seem. Google doesn't yield much for "GE600 rifle stock" either.

MEC have their own full Mark 1 .22 stock now.

The HPS System Gemini's from the UK are nice.

Grunig & Elmiger's Revolution stocks are amazing (the most expensive though).

Anschutz has a new stock called the Precise that looks good.

You can always buy the standard Anschutz alu stocks as well of course. They are the cheapest as well.
methosb

Re: aluminum stock

Post by methosb »

Boblor wrote:You might have a look at the M.Werks, LLC Aluminum stock.http://www.mwerksllc.com/

a few weeks back there was pictures and a discription of this stock on 6mmbr.com in the section dealing with new products.
Isn't that just a milled copy of the Anschutz stock? Is that legal?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

No, it functions very differently. Instead of bedding screws just forward of the trigger, the stock clamps down on the barrel just forward of the action leaving the rest of the barrel and the action free floating. That knob just forward of the trigger guard runs a rod of sorts up against the action to put a torque on it. With this, you can tune the rifle just like adjusting the bedding screw torques or moving the weights on tuner bloop tubes.

Beyond that, true, it looks a lot like an Anschutz stock, but don't most. It's designed to take Anschutz parts, just like Bill Earnest makes parts that fit Anschutz rifles. Good designs tend to look alike.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

I like the G & E stocks. just havent had the money to buy one yet.

but M.werks, L.L.C stock looks pretty nice and with there tuner, is pretty darn cool.

lax
Last edited by laxratnd on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

That M. Werks tuner in the stock is actually a vibration modulator. It accomplishes about the same thing as a muzzel tuner but without the added weight. It can be adjusted for various brands and grades of ammunition reducing or eliminating all the searching for the perfect match in ammo lots.
rbs

M. Werks Stock

Post by rbs »

Jeffrey is being a little modest here. His stock with the barrel block and ability to tune the action has shown amazing results in both testing and in competition. Coupled with the fact that this man is a master machinest and his work is just outstanding, this stock is destined to be a winner. Imagine being able to simply tune your good ammo to very good, I see more than a small benefit here.
www.mwerksllc.com

Rod
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

I'm still in the "dark ages" shooting with the wood and steel Annie myself.

I have seen the M. Werks stock at our club, it has every adjustment you could want. The float system is sort of like the Ross Precision, where the the barrel is clamped and the action floats. I don't understand the "tuning" system so I can't comment on, but seems to work.

Another aluminum stock is the Eliseo AN1, which is a tube gun that you glue an 54 action into.
Boblor

Alum. stock, barrel block,barrel indexing and receiver tuner

Post by Boblor »

I have seen the M.Werks receiver tuner work on his Aluminum stock and now and a Ross aluminum stock. The following are the results of some testing done yesterday. They come from another .22 Website.

To: ALL (49 of 49)
129.49 in reply to 129.45

This may not be the right place to post this but it does go along with some of the comments being made. I recently had the opportunity to put a receiver tuner in a Ross stock and yesterday I had the opportunity to test it.

For the indexing portion of the build I used the barrel clamp method rotating the entire barreled action and assessed the Bartlein barrel to have a 2 inch dispersion at 50 yards. The low point was obvious and I was able to find and mark "low" accurately.

The tuner was of the same design used in my stock but with modifications to fit Mike's stock.

The firing test was first done at 50 feet to see if there was going to be the expected reaction to the tuning device. Remember this is the first Ross stock done so there were no assumptions. It played through so well that I couldn't wait for a 50 yard test and called Mike to check the tunnel temperature. He said it was 18 degrees but if I had to do it then come on down.

The 50 yard test was indeed cold but the tunnel mirage was manageable and we set up on an impromptu bench type set up. I shot SK Match, Federal UM1 and some Eley Black box. I had some Lapua Master M but it seemed to be in the sonic zone so I didn't use much of it. I tuned each of the samples individually and to my surprise, and I think Mike's also, the following 5 shot groups were recorded.

Sk Match = .129 CTC, Eley Black Box = .107 CTC and the UM1= .141 CTC. I don't care who you are, in 18 degrees that's good. Now if it can do that in 70+ degrees I'll be a real happy camper.

Our conversation quickly turned to why some gun-fitter would steal a barrel and agreed this would be a reason. We immediately applauded each other for never having those thoughts and could only hope the new owner would appreciate what he had.

To comment on what Gale posted; it may not be the amount of bore curve that defines accuracy but the "type" of curve. Considering this barrel has a 2 inch displacement the bore curve might have some anomaly that has a significance to accuracy. I have no clue as to what it might be and I'm sure the owner will not donate it to scientific research.

For the infomercial portion of this post this is what the tuner portion of the Ross stock looks like.

Mike has the actual target and will make some comments of his own. I do appreciate his willingness to allow me to use the tunnel in 18 degrees when it is at best uncomfortable and at that temperature test results are not usually good.

As usual the customer name is withheld for confidentiality but I was too excited about the results to sit still.

In the interest of collaboration,

Jeff
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Any word on whether the M Werks stock will take a standard 54 action and not just the 20xx series?

I'll be very interested to see where the price point ends up, given that the new Anschutz stock is reportedly going to be priced like the old ones.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Hey, yes he is working on a 54 version as we speak. I talked to him about it a few weeks ago.

lax
Boblor

M.Werks stock and receiver tuner system

Post by Boblor »

If you go to Delphi Forums and then Small Bore Accuracy there is more information on the Madison M.Werks Stock and receiver tuner system now also mounted in a Ross stock. Including pictures of groups being tuned. I believe Jeff also has a e-mail newsletter available for the asking.
mwerksllc.com should get you his to website to ask for the newletter.