HOW DO I BUILD UP A GRIP?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

HOW DO I BUILD UP A GRIP?

Post by Guest »

what materials do i need in order to build up a grip? any suggestions or links would be much appreciated. happy BELATED new year all!!!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What kind of grip, for basic wood grips you can use the Morini Paste or Bondo. I prefer the Morini paste. Not sure if that works on the plastic Hammerli grips.
jsealc21

Post by jsealc21 »

"quikwood" from home depot,in the paint section with the crazy glue and epoxies. If necessary,a hair dryer will speed up the already quick cure. Sticks to most anything. a hint...wet your hands with water while mixing...that will prevent the product sticking to your fingers at the last part of the mixing process. this stuff is perfect for grip forming.
joecon

Post by joecon »

Rink (DE) supplied me with some filler which I used to improve my grip, it is a silicone based 2 part substance which is very easy to work with & hardens quickly to a rubberish feel. It can be mixed in the hand (non toxic) & squeezed onto grip to get the required fill. I believe it is used for making dental moulds, so it may be possible to source some form your local dentist. While it may not be a completly permanent job mine has lasted 3 months now with no signs of deteriation. Hints- it should be built up in thin layers to achieve the required dept. Superglue can be used to improve the atachment to the wood of grip should this be needed. See http://www.formgriffe.de/shop/zubehoer/formmasse.php
Joe.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I tried both Bondo and "plastic wood" with some success.

The easiest by far was "AquaMend" from the glue section of Home Depot.

It's a two part epoxy that you just rip off a chunk, knead it, and apply. It can be easily filed and sanded.

Post by Guest »

Richard H wrote:What kind of grip, for basic wood grips you can use the Morini Paste or Bondo. I prefer the Morini paste. Not sure if that works on the plastic Hammerli grips.
it's a Morini grip. i'm not sure if it's even worth building up since my coach says it's 'WAY TOO BIG' for me. i, on the other hand, love working with wood but i wasn't sure if bondo was appropriate, and since there is a Morini paste i think i'll go with that. however, is it similar to bondo in your opinion?

Post by Guest »

jsealc21 wrote:"quikwood" from home depot,in the paint section with the crazy glue and epoxies. If necessary,a hair dryer will speed up the already quick cure. Sticks to most anything. a hint...wet your hands with water while mixing...that will prevent the product sticking to your fingers at the last part of the mixing process. this stuff is perfect for grip forming.
awesome!

Post by Guest »

joecon wrote:Rink (DE) supplied me with some filler which I used to improve my grip, it is a silicone based 2 part substance which is very easy to work with & hardens quickly to a rubberish feel. It can be mixed in the hand (non toxic) & squeezed onto grip to get the required fill. I believe it is used for making dental moulds, so it may be possible to source some form your local dentist. While it may not be a completly permanent job mine has lasted 3 months now with no signs of deteriation. Hints- it should be built up in thin layers to achieve the required dept. Superglue can be used to improve the atachment to the wood of grip should this be needed. See http://www.formgriffe.de/shop/zubehoer/formmasse.php
Joe.
you know what i'm concerned about, is HOW TO SHAPE the bloody thing, i've read so much about how the wrist should or shouldn't touch the rest, and really it's mind boggling, how should i approach the build up process?

Post by Guest »

Rover wrote:I tried both Bondo and "plastic wood" with some success.

The easiest by far was "AquaMend" from the glue section of Home Depot.

It's a two part epoxy that you just rip off a chunk, knead it, and apply. It can be easily filed and sanded.
oh now this sounds RIGHT UP my alley, thanks mate!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:
Richard H wrote:What kind of grip, for basic wood grips you can use the Morini Paste or Bondo. I prefer the Morini paste. Not sure if that works on the plastic Hammerli grips.
it's a Morini grip. i'm not sure if it's even worth building up since my coach says it's 'WAY TOO BIG' for me. i, on the other hand, love working with wood but i wasn't sure if bondo was appropriate, and since there is a Morini paste i think i'll go with that. however, is it similar to bondo in your opinion?
If your coach says it's way too big, you're better off buying a smaller grip that fits closer. Then you just use the compound and such to adjust the grip.
superstring

Post by superstring »

Here are some articles which may help.

http://www.sskpraha6.cz/docs/vlastni_rukojet.pdf

http://www.nygord-precision.com/ (see Don Nygord's Notes on modifying your grip, Parts 1 & 2)

Post by Guest »

Richard H wrote:If your coach says it's way too big, you're better off buying a smaller grip that fits closer. Then you just use the compound and such to adjust the grip.
good idea, i've already started to find a trade-in or equal-swap deal, i think i need an EXTRA small, but still waiting to hear from my coach, thanks mate!

Post by Guest »

ah now this is what i needed, straight to the point specifics i can understand, and you underlined them for me, thank you SO much!!!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:
Richard H wrote:If your coach says it's way too big, you're better off buying a smaller grip that fits closer. Then you just use the compound and such to adjust the grip.
good idea, i've already started to find a trade-in or equal-swap deal, i think i need an EXTRA small, but still waiting to hear from my coach, thanks mate!
Measure your hand in accordance with grip fitting guidelines to tell you roughly what size you should need. I think Rink and Morini both have online guides.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

RobStubbs wrote:Measure your hand in accordance with grip fitting guidelines to tell you roughly what size you should need. I think Rink and Morini both have online guides.

Rob.
thanx Rob that's what i did, i checked my grip size via morini, who happens to make steyr grips, and thankfully my coach has some spares lying around, which gives me time to trade-in or save up for a new grip, it's 250 i believe.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Another Manufacture to consider is Nill, I've had Morini, Rink and Nill grip and personally I prefer the Nill.

i was wondering about options ...

Post by Guest »

Richard H wrote:Another Manufacture to consider is Nill, I've had Morini, Rink and Nill grip and personally I prefer the Nill.
thanx Richard for the Nill option, i'm not fond of Rink either, and while Morini fits me better, i was wondering about other options, glad to know there are!!!