Steyr LP10 or CM MG1

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Singh

Steyr LP10 or CM MG1

Post by Singh »

Hi All,
I am a newbie and about to get my first pro air pistol but confused with
which one I should get - the Steyr LP10 or the Cesare Morini MG1.
I have had a go with both the pistols and personally found the Cesare
Morini MG1 to be better(feel & target results)
The LP10 seems to fire only 60 odd shots from a single charge whereas the MG1 easily manages 200!!?
Any guidance from the experts here would be awesome.
Also, which brand makes the best pellets?
Cheers,
Singh
william

Post by william »

I have had a go with both the pistols and personally found the Cesare
Morini MG1 to be better(feel & target results)
Best said in Latin: Res ipsa loquitur.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If you're only getting 60 shots with an LP10 there is a problem, either there is a leak or the velocity is turned up way too high.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

As Richard says, if the Steyr is only getting 60 shots, something is wrong with it. It should be geting close to 200.

As for what to choose, the Steyr has won more medals in World Cups, World Championships, and Olympic Games than all the others combined. The same held true in Beijing last summer. There must be some reason why it is so popular.
Oz

Post by Oz »

LOL... I also read somewhere that the Steyr was only good for 60 shots... I wish I could remember where this myth is being perpetuated... I thought about some creative options to get more shots, but feedback from this forum verified that you should be able to get up to 200 shots without issue.

You MUST have the opportunity to hold what you're considering and compare. Go to matches and ask to hold the different hardward you're considering!

I thought for sure I was going to get a Steyr LP10. No questions. Then at 3XAir, I had the opportunity to hold a few LP10's and a few Morini 162EI's. Surrrr-prise, surrr-prise. The Morini felt SO good in my hand. A natural extension of my arm. It wasn't even close.

Everyone's arms/hands are different. You MUST feel them to know which one is best for you.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

There was another thread on here that someone said that. The only other possibility is they are using the short cylinder off of the junior model and have the velocity over 550 or so.
j-team

Post by j-team »

My opinion, it's a no brainer. Get the Steyr.

Quality build, smart design, long standing reputation for after sales service and proven performance.
Last edited by j-team on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

j-team wrote:My onpinion, it's a no brainer. Get the Steyr.

Quality build, smart design, long standing reputaion for after sales service and proven performance.
I don't understand your comments, or those from Scott. Singh has tried both pistols and found that the MG-1 feels better and shoots better. Haven't we (collectively) always said that a new shooter should try before buying and buy the one that feels and performs better?
Singh

thanks

Post by Singh »

thanks for your input guys. I guess i was confused coz most competitions are being won by LP10 than other brands but the MG1 is giving a better,
warmer feel on use.
Not sure if longevity has anything to do with it.
Also, seems like the LP 10, with the holes on top(middle), might have better stability when compared to MG1 which has the holes further up front?
j-team

Post by j-team »

Fred Mannis wrote:I don't understand your comments, or those from Scott.
My first two words, "My opinion".
tiny

Post by tiny »

i looked into getting a steyr or morini i tryed both before deciding on the steyr nothing to do with how many medals had been won it was more to do with how it felt to me

you say you have tryed both the decision must be personal choice not decided by the amount of medals the make has won
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

pilkguns wrote:As Richard says, if the Steyr is only getting 60 shots, something is wrong with it. It should be geting close to 200.

As for what to choose, the Steyr has won more medals in World Cups, World Championships, and Olympic Games than all the others combined. The same held true in Beijing last summer. There must be some reason why it is so popular.
A Styer LP10 in a vice with matching ammo can put 10 shots ( and probably more) through the same hole, not sure about morini - never tested one, if it cant hit the inner ten every time - it's broke.

your choice will be more over which feels better to you, both will out shoot you, and if they cant then you will be getting your pistols for free but that's another story ;)

Julian
edster99

Post by edster99 »

Fred Mannis wrote:Singh has tried both pistols and found that the MG-1 feels better and shoots better. Haven't we (collectively) always said that a new shooter should try before buying and buy the one that feels and performs better?
exactly right - just bear in mind that in a years time once you have got some experience you may (not guaranteed) want to change so get one secondhand if you can. (Not that that is very easy...)

If you can start with something you enjoy and feels good, that is the best place to start from.

Good luck!

p.s. my LP10 gives me about 150 shots - never been near 200...
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I'm sure that the MG1 can put ten through the same hole too. If you like the MG1 then go with that. The only caveat that I have is make sure that you have good support for the Matchgun where you live, you may not need it but if you do its not the time to find out that you can't get parts or someone to service it. I'm pretty sure you won't have that problem with either the Steyr or the Morini. Matchguns being new might not have the support network available near you.

For disclosure purposes I'm a very happy Steyr owner, I have shot both the Morini and the MG1, they all shoot well.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

For what its worth, one factor you may want to consider is the service available to you now and in the future for any manufacturer.

Brian
Targeteer

Steyr or Morini?

Post by Targeteer »

I have only been shooting one and a half years, and it took me a long time to decide on Steyr or Morini. At the end of the day, it's a lot of money and I couldn't afford to change my mind once bought!!!

The factor that swung it for me was the adjustability of the Steyr. Even though I was new to air pistol shooting, I found it so easy to get the grip adjusted to my liking, likewise the trigger and sights. There is a wide range of adjustment on all these, and the instructions in the manual are very clear - even for me... I feel this is an important factor, particularly for a newcomer, as you can "tailor" the pistol so that it suits you. When I bring my pistol onto aim, everything is perfectly aligned - ready to release the shot...

Additionally, "dry firing" with the Steyr is so simple - and dry firing is essential, as it makes you concentrate on the shooting process, not the result (i.e. the target).

All those olympians can't be wrong - also I became club champion and regional league champion within a year of buying my Steyr!

I'm not saying don't decide on the Morini, just wanted to pass on my experiences as a fellow newcomer.

Good shooting with whichever pistol you choose. All you need to do then is practice, practice and practice.