Exchange rate getting better

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Papa Fred

Exchange rate getting better

Post by Papa Fred »

I have been watching the Euro vs US dollar exchange rate.
They are in a recession also and the dollar is at the best in quite awhile.
I mention this because I want a Morini 162EI and it appears the prices are not showing the new better price.
Anyone know where or how to get the newer price?

Thanks
Papa Fred[/b]
rolado

morini

Post by rolado »

There is a used 162 ei short in the classifides for $1250. Not bad since I paid $1615 3 months ago.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Fred
While the exchange rate is going down, current inventory was bought at the old higher rate. So you likely won't see prices going down until the current stock (purchased at the old price) is sold.
jipe

Re: Exchange rate getting better

Post by jipe »

Papa Fred wrote:I have been watching the Euro vs US dollar exchange rate.
I mention this because I want a Morini 162EI and it appears the prices are not showing the new better price.

Thanks
Papa Fred[/b]
Buy online from a big german sport gun shop, they have the european best prices and can ship to the US. If it is to ship to the US, they should be able to sell it without VAT (21% in Germany). You can also try directly from Morini, they sell directly to customer in EU, may be also to US customers.

Now, I am not so sure that the prices at Morini went so much down since Morini is from Switzerland and the CHF didn't go down as much as the Euro.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jipe wrote:Buy online from a big german sport gun shop, they have the european best prices and can ship to the US.
I don't know if it's the same in the US, but here in the UK if you buy from another country you run the risk that you will not get warranty support from the UK importer. If anything goes wrong in the warranty period then you would have to return the gun to where you bought it.

To my mind that is perfectly reasonable. If you bypass the importer, stopping him from making his profit, then why should you expect him to do anything for you. He may be able to get any warranty parts required from the factory but, in the gun trade, it's highly unlikely that he will be recompensed for his time.

If you want support from the importer in your country then you need to support him.
jipe

Post by jipe »

David Levene wrote:
jipe wrote:Buy online from a big german sport gun shop, they have the european best prices and can ship to the US.
I don't know if it's the same in the US, but here in the UK if you buy from another country you run the risk that you will not get warranty support from the UK importer. If anything goes wrong in the warranty period then you would have to return the gun to where you bought it.

To my mind that is perfectly reasonable. If you bypass the importer, stopping him from making his profit, then why should you expect him to do anything for you. He may be able to get any warranty parts required from the factory but, in the gun trade, it's highly unlikely that he will be recompensed for his time.

If you want support from the importer in your country then you need to support him.
Yes, from a legal point of view, it is the seller who is responsible = gunshop if you buy from a gunshop, importer if you buy directly from him.

Do not know how it is in UK, but in Belgium sales of such match AP are pretty low and both gunshop and importer cannot help a lot, they just send the gun back to the manufacturer. Experience has shown that it is faster and you get better support if you contact/send it directly to the manufacturer (at least those who have a good customer support which is the case of Morini, some others have a pretty bad reputation...). For the US, big country with few shop selling match AP, most customers have no close by shop and must anyway send it to a far away shop.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jipe wrote:Do not know how it is in UK, but in Belgium sales of such match AP are pretty low and both gunshop and importer cannot help a lot, they just send the gun back to the manufacturer.
I think we are probably lucky. Most of the UK importers are pretty good at dealing with warranty claims on guns that have been supplied through them (either direct or to the gun trade).
jipe

Post by jipe »

David Levene wrote:
jipe wrote:Do not know how it is in UK, but in Belgium sales of such match AP are pretty low and both gunshop and importer cannot help a lot, they just send the gun back to the manufacturer.
I think we are probably lucky. Most of the UK importers are pretty good at dealing with warranty claims on guns that have been supplied through them (either direct or to the gun trade).
UK is a much bigger market than Belgium => gunshop/importer sell more match pistols than in Belgium (also because fire arm pistols are not allowed in UK, while in Belgium many people prefer to shoot match .22LR pistols) => they know these pistols much better and can help in case of technical problems.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Papa Fred wrote:I have been watching the Euro vs US dollar exchange rate.

Thanks
Papa Fred[/b]
I have been watching the A$ against almost everything else - I shudder to think what my next purchase of:
- small pistol primers, and
- case lot of .22LR are going to cost.

My preferred brands for each are out of stock locally, with the next shipment (maybe) at the end of the year.
The last purchase was when the A$ > US$ was near parity - about A$ = US66c at the moment.

SIGH!

Spencer
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

I bought a case of 5000 CCI Standard Velocity 3 months ago for $270.

I bought another case yesterday for $430 after talking the sale person down from $450.

Ouch
Papa Fred

euro exchange rate

Post by Papa Fred »

Thanks for all the info. I'm still watching and think that I will try and buy the Morini in Feb 2009. If any money is left after taxes.