Where can I learn about the different Anschutz smallbore rif

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Gl17oxford

Where can I learn about the different Anschutz smallbore rif

Post by Gl17oxford »

I am very curious what the definitive book is on Anschutz rifles? Specific information seems only available by word of mouth.

Some simple items I hear about, but I can not seem to Google well enough to find answers to some questions..

What is the difference between an xx07, xx11 and xx13 models? What is the difference between 14xx, 16xx, 18xx, 19xx, 20xx models.

What is square action versus round action?

I am looking for an prone rifle, wood stock, probably older because of price, and I want to feel confident in what I am looking at.

Post by Guest »

Evening,

Not sure if there is a definitive book, but here is some information on Anschutz rifles that I have picked up over the years.

Actions, The Match 54: Anschutz target action. A round action, held into the stock with two bedding bolts, both ahead of the trigger. The bolt is rear-locking, has two lugs, and cocks on opening. The barrel is pressed into the receiver and secured with two pins. The basic design hasn't changed noticeably in almost thirty years.

14xx: Match 54s between 1954 and about 1976. These have a straight bolt handle and a bolt-mounted wing-style safety catch. Early models had one ejector, a second was added in the mid 1960s.

16xx: Match 54s between about 1976 and 1980. 16xx is a later term, they were sold as 14xx. These have a new trigger and firing pin. Externally the bolt has a tapered not square end, and the safety catch is part of the trigger. Early models had a starigh bolt handle, later this was curved with a plastic ball. All bolts have a distinctive cut underneath exposing the firing pin (I do know of one or two 1980 lefties that don't).

18xx: Match 54s produced between 1980 and 1987. The bolt looks just like a late 16xx, but the firing pin is not exposed. The trigger mechanism is almost identical to a 16xx, but the sear shape is a little different.

19xx: Match 54s produced since 1987. the bolt and trigger are identical to an 18xx, but the fore-sight mounting was chaned from a block screwed onto the barrel, to grooves cut straight in.

20xx: 19xx Match 54 bolt in a longer-square bottomed receiver. Produced since about 1990. Uses 4 bedding bolts. The front of the receiver is split on the left hand side, and barrels are clamped in by three(?) bolts.

Stocks: generally these are updated during production series, so for example a late 1813 looks identical to an early 1913. Some models are very different such as the 1807 and 1907. Prone models didn't apprecaibly change from the early 1970s. The receiver has stayed the same size, so older Match 54s can be bolted into a brand new stock.

xx07: Match 54 UIT Standard model. Weigh under 5kg. 66cm long x 22mm diameter barrel. Wood stock, non-thumbhole butt, fore-end deep at triggergauard, tapers to tip. 18xx and 19xx had a cheekkpiece adjustable by fitting spacers.

xx11: Prone model. Weight about 13lb. 69cm long x 24 mm diameter barrel. Wood stock, straight non-thumbhole butt. Broad shallow fore-end. From the early 1970s a spring-loaded vertically adjustable cheekpiece was fitted.

xx13: International Free rifle, a.k.a. the Supermatch. The same 69cm barrel as an xx11. Thumbhole stock, hookbutt adjustable for length and height, and from the later 1960s off-set and cant. Fore-end as for the xx11. An adjustable cheekpiece has been fitted since the early 1970s.

Good luck

Tim S

Exeter UK