Target distances/sight settings

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jack Milchanowski

Target distances/sight settings

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

I am considering purchase of a free pistol. I have to solve a problem of where I will be able to practice and at what distance. I realize that Free Pistol is shot at 50 meters.

I have also seen matches where they shot at 50 yards and 50 feet. I have seen target faces available for 50 m (B-17), 50 yards (B-19), 25 yards (B-35), and 50 feet (B-11).

How close are the sight settings if you practice at 50 feet and then shoot at 50 meters? How about with the other distances? I realize that one sight setting will have at least two distances that it will be suitable for due to trajectory.

I do realize that I could shoot at each distance and take very carful notes of sight changes. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Come see us in the woods
Jack
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Hi Jack,
Welcome to the free pistol world!
I have a 50m range in my back yard. I use practice ammo in my back yard and Eley pistol match at 50 yd. tournaments. There is very little difference in where the holes in the paper end up. I've gone as much as 3-4 clicks and that's it.
50 ft. and 50 yard impacts are about the same due to the trajectory arc that you mentioned.
Shoot well!
Ben
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

You also start the match with 'sighters', so it is easy enough to zero the sights for the particular match distance. Keep some notes so you know ~ how many clicks from your home range distance to the match distance.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Ben and Fred--thank you very much for the replies! I am glad to hear that there is not much difference between the sight setting for 50meters and 50 ft. As a complete novice I would hate to have shot only at 50 meters and show up for an indoor match shot at 50 feet and shoot way over the target.

Ben--my son and his family live in Lititz, PA. Maybe sometime when my wife and I are visiting I can come shoot with you in Berwick.

Come see us in the woods,
Jack
Noel

Post by Noel »

I've been wondering about the same thing, but with the added complication of sub six aiming. Sub six on the 50 meter target is obviously a lot further below the bullseye than the same hold on the 50 foot target.

I'm assuming that I'll just have to learn the required sight adjustment by trial and error...
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Our club doesn't have a 50 metre range yet, but we shoot the event using downsized targets, at a distance of 25 metres.....works fine.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Noel wrote:I've been wondering about the same thing, but with the added complication of sub six aiming. Sub six on the 50 meter target is obviously a lot further below the bullseye than the same hold on the 50 foot target.

I'm assuming that I'll just have to learn the required sight adjustment by trial and error...

I have found that the biggest issue in moving out to 50 meters from 50ft or 25 yd is the need to establish what cartridge gives the smallest group. Almost any 22lr cartridge will be satisfactory at 25 yd in my Morini, but only Eley Tenex EPS or Pistol Match give acceptable groups at 50 m. Since I shoot cheaper ammo at the shorter distances, I need to adjust my sights taking into account the different cartridge ballistics as well as distance.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Jack Milchanowski wrote:Ben--my son and his family live in Lititz, PA. Maybe sometime when my wife and I are visiting I can come shoot with you in Berwick.

Come see us in the woods,
Jack
Sure, Jack, you can come shoot with me anytime you come to PA! Let me know when you are coming.
Ben