Dealing with Fatigue

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
higginsdj

Dealing with Fatigue

Post by higginsdj »

I was introduced to rapid Fire in session 3 (target faces for 3 seconds). We ran the routine several times - face on for 3, off for 7, on for 3 etc for the 5 shots. My first shot was always good, my second shot OK then I started to falter - to such an extent that on the 6th round of 5 Rapid Fire I missed the target completely with one shot.

So, what went wrong? For starters I know I was fatigueing - the arm was getting heavy and as a consequence I think I was gripping the pistol harder (introducing more fatigue).

How do you deal with/cater for fatigue when it happens or is it just a matter of poor shots until one builds up the necessary muscle endurance?

Cheers

David
gordonfriesen

Post by gordonfriesen »

David,

To do this well, you need lots of strength. Personally, I do the equivalent of eight series every day. Half the days, it is with the gun, either dry or live fire, and the other days it is with a three pound dumbell. Three pounds is plenty, because the idea is not brute lifting force, but a very comfortable ability to do set after set with a light weight. Three pounds is 48 oz. while my gun is 43. This gives just a slight margin without exageration. If you are thinking kilos, one is not enough, but two is too much. Even one and a half is more than three pounds. When you use the weight, you can go faster and do ten lifts instead of six, but do not throw the gun up. Lift it deliberately and slow down to a stop on every lift. Otherwise you will be practicing a sloppy lift.

With the gun, do six reps in each set. This will give you a margin where you will not be thinking--this is my last lift-- (on five) and then flub it.

Also do eight sets instead of seven.

Finally, do a long follow through, like three seconds, before you slowly lower the gun. This is because your arm tires less with the gun up, and when the gun is down, you only have a second or two, which means you don`t lose your edge waiting for the turn.

Hope this is helpful,

Best Regards,

Gordon
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

My training technique is with wrist weights (1.2kg each). I've been following along with some training guides from Pistols Australia. Multiple sets of raise and hold for 20 seconds then down and rest for 10 then a new set of hold for 30 seconds and rest for 20 etc up to sets of hold for 60 seconds then rest for 50 seconds with a minutes break between sets of 6 raises.

Of course I have only just started so I dare say I'm not going to see much improvement for a few weeks yet.

Cheers

David
gordonfriesen

Post by gordonfriesen »

David,

One point two kg is about pistol weight, so should be good. I also do the thirty second hold, but with four pounds, something like 1.75 kg. A also coach suggested that the raise and lower be as slow as you can manage. It takes longer but it really works.

Nonetheless, for the rapid fire stage of sport and center fire, I think it is neccesary to do more lifts, moe quickly, and the length of hold is only long enough to show you have controlled your stop. Say eight sets of ten lifts (for the seven strings and one more for luck). Alternate arms. This goes very quickly as compared to the holding exercises, and gives exactly the kind of endurance you need to finish strong in rapid.

Best Regards,

Gordon
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Further to Gordon's post, a couple of points:
- the advice to repeat any exercise with the alternate side is IMPORTANT. If for no other reason that it reduces the potential for sciatic problems (sore! lower back)
- avoid any idea that there is 'no gain without pain'. Been there, done that, and have the body damage to prove it. If it hurts, STOP(!) and get expert advice.

Spencer
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Decided to come back to shooting after 20 yrs. Note that I was sedentary for the last 10 yrs at least. First match was not able to finish, stopped 'roun 20 shots due to great shoulder pain.

A shooting pal directed me to his physiotherapist. Was there next morning, with all the previously made images of back and shoulder and a list of complaints. This was 'bout 45 days ago. Exercices with his help for the bad shoulder, then symetrical weights.

To make a long one short, today I can shoot 150 shots without pain, went back to playing tennis and forgot about my back, and please note that I spend most of the day facing the screen.

Don't think I can shoot like I did more than 20 yrs ago, or play tennis like I used, but going back is fine, results are climbing along with my concentration capability.

So, don't do it alone, find someone to check you, fix whatever is not just lack of exercice and then exercice You possibly have an old lesion that you do not know.