Sight alignment after the shot

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
higginsdj

Sight alignment after the shot

Post by higginsdj »

I'm a novice having just started shooting pistol (.22 sports/standard) (I had shot service pistol in the services some 30 years ago). I understand the stance, sight alignment and aiming concepts (I'm a 20 year veteran of Target Archery) so I now have to learn grip and triggering....

After reviewing my first session I found I had 50% of my shots in a narrow horizontal group in the black and the other 50% high and right in a narrow vertical group. I remember seeing my foresight break/pop to the right as I fired the shot which I assume is bad but its too early to tell if this is triggering, grip, flinching or just recoil.

What I want to know is, what should the sight picture look like after the shot? Exactly the same as before the shot or is it expected to be off as a result of recoil or what?

Cheers

David
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

When you raise your Pistol to your aiming area are your sights perfectly alligned ? If you have to make any correction with your wrist to perfect the allignment work on changing your grip so as achieve that perfection in sight allignment that is refered to as natural point of aim. And yes the sights should be perfectly alligned after recovery from the previous shot. Good Shooting Bill Horton
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

OK - No my sights aren't naturally perfectly aligned - I have to work on wrist to align it. Given that it is a club pistol and not adjustable, what are the chances that I will find at least near perfect alignment with a grip change alone? Invariably I find the foresight way too high. (Left and right I can adjust with grip alignment)

Cheers

David
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Just finished my second session with a Hammerli 208 with good groups (10's and 9's). Better grip alignment and a change in triggering are no doubt the reason. My instructor suggested I try her Hammerli 280 and it was better though the wrist position had to change to suit the grip (wrist twisted down)