Kneeling roll fill recommendation?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

nirvanaisanx

Kneeling roll fill recommendation?

Post by nirvanaisanx »

I just recently got back into 3 position shooting. I found my kneeling roll to be far less supportive to keep using in its current condition. I have an old mouche kneeling roll with the factory filler which is nothing more than small styrafoam beads that must have lost their hold.

I have heard of people using cork as a filler as well, but am curious to see what others are using and where I might be able to find it.

Thanks,

Matthew
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I use woodchips that I got at a pet store. Work really well and are very light weight. I did use plastic scraps a while back but it was very heavy. The woodchips work very well in my opinion.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Dry sand. Rock solid once you're in position.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Either plastic beads as they use for injection molding. They are also available in craft stores for use in making "bean bag" stuff. Very good but heavy.

More recently i have been using some stuff from pillows that my kids had. My kids called them "Mushy Pillows". I think Walmart sells them. The exterior of the pillow is a stretchy spandex material. The stuffing is itty bitty polystyrene balls. Very small and very light. I put this stuff in my kneeling roll and it really works well. The best part about it is that my kneeling roll went from 5lb to 8oz. You won't find a lighter filling. When in position it holds shape well. Filling the roll with this stuff needs to be done over a trash can.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Grass seed works well although a bit heavier than the mini plastic beads.

As an aside, many years ago when searching for a suitable filling for the cushion on aircraft ejection seats it was found that Pearl Barley had most of the sought after characteristics. It had the "bead cushion" effect for comfort but was stable and relatively incompressible during seat operation. It had the added advantage in survival conditions that in the short term you could eat it and if things were really bad you could consider planting it to aid longer term survival!

Rutty
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

That is a thought for kneeling rolls too I guess. If things get really bad on a long trip you can break out the kneeling roll stuffing for dinner. Maybe pinto beans? ;-)
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

I have heard of people using rice quite successfully in their kneeling rolls.
Peeps
squiggly007

Post by squiggly007 »

Mini plastic beads :P
1813benny

kneeling roll fillers

Post by 1813benny »

One thing to consider using grass seed, rice, etc. in kneeling rolls is that if you travel internationally, such items may be restricted for importation.

It would be best to use an intert material such as the plastic beads.

Cork is ok for awhile, but breaks down over time and you won't get the same support.
GeorgeH

Cork Filler

Post by GeorgeH »

Cork is a great filler. Light, firm, and cheap.
Moushka

Post by Moushka »

Hello Matthew,

you don't need a complete new filling, just fill your roll up. With the same styrofoam beads or something simular.

When I felt, that my roll was a little bit to loose, I putted some yarn that was pulled off after knitting to the polystyrol in my kneeling roll. It worked well and was not heavy.