Shot plan planning (!)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
edster99

Shot plan planning (!)

Post by edster99 »

Hi all

so I have been going round and round in my head about the following (AP): I need to make a decision on how my shot process will work and need to get some advice on either how to decide, or recommendations on what to do. So imagine i've done my set up, raise, breathing, ready to come down. So my dilemma is - do i
1)start to gently squeeze as I come down and work on alignment as I do so, then work into the aim point and wait for it to go pop?
or
2) come down just below aim point, get a nice settle, then squeeze and home in on the aim point, working on alignment?

The reason for my question is that if I can do 2 well, it is the best quality, but it is more likely to go wrong and lead to a 'got the aim, lets pull on it, oh s*** i've snatched it'. (10s and 8s)
If I do 1, it is probably more consistent but less 10s. (More 9s, less 10s and 8s).
Overall, the final scores at present seem to be about the same.

What should I think about to decide between the two - the tempremental Ferrari, or the average performance VW?

Last time I asked a question I got a couple of very interesting replies that took me forward (I'm back to a normal grip again) so i am looking forward to hearing your replies!

cheers

Ed
Quest1

Re: Shot plan planning (!)

Post by Quest1 »

edster99 wrote:Hi all

so I have been going round and round in my head about the following (AP): I need to make a decision on how my shot process will work and need to get some advice on either how to decide, or recommendations on what to do. So imagine i've done my set up, raise, breathing, ready to come down. So my dilemma is - do i
1)start to gently squeeze as I come down and work on alignment as I do so, then work into the aim point and wait for it to go pop?
or
2) come down just below aim point, get a nice settle, then squeeze and home in on the aim point, working on alignment?

The reason for my question is that if I can do 2 well, it is the best quality, but it is more likely to go wrong and lead to a 'got the aim, lets pull on it, oh s*** i've snatched it'. (10s and 8s)
If I do 1, it is probably more consistent but less 10s. (More 9s, less 10s and 8s).
Overall, the final scores at present seem to be about the same.

What should I think about to decide between the two - the tempremental Ferrari, or the average performance VW?

Last time I asked a question I got a couple of very interesting replies that took me forward (I'm back to a normal grip again) so i am looking forward to hearing your replies!

cheers

Ed
If you download the Army Marksmanship Pistol Training Guide it should give you some good guidance,even though some of it applies to shooting a 45acp.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Three things to think about:

1. The first settle is normally the best
2. The shot should happen (complete) within the first settle
3. If you start in the pace you want to end, you have to wait for a full cycle

Go for consistency and study the tens. Accept that some shots will be nines, but realize that by focusing on the way you get tens, you will raise the ratio of those tens vs. the nines.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
2650 Plus

Planning the shot

Post by 2650 Plus »

First take an evaluation of the thoughts currently running through your mind as you prepare to shoot. Start out by eliminating all thoughts that do not contribute to delivering a good shot. Next, retain only positive thoughts for the shot plan and simplify every thought as much as possible. Try to visualize what you want to happen, as to the feel of the trigger finger movement on a perfect shot, and how you want the sights to look during the time the shot is going to fire. Those things you mentioned in your post as already happened need very little consideration as they become good shooting habits with normal training. Plan to stay on the sights after the pistol fires and until recovery is complete as this insures good follow through and helps your concentration. Good Shooting Bill Horton
edster99

Post by edster99 »

well I stuck with Ed's advice - one process, dont stop - and got a PB 562 at a comp on the weekend. So I'm happy!

cheers

Ed