Finally broke 530 !

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Finally broke 530 !

Post by Guest »

I started shooting 10m air pistol in March this year. I had never shot any pistol or rifle before. I don't have a coach, just read tid bits of very helpful information from every one here.

I am 45, and since March, my score had improved from 360's to 420's to 470's to 490's to 510's.

Score hovered around 510's for the past two months, and today finally broke 530's.

What would be my expected improvement in scoring by same time next year? I would be interested in your personal starting experience during your first two years of shooting.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Congratulations! Good improvement rate.

Now, register into the forum and read whatever technical stuff you can. A lot is in the 10P files, but keep looking.

Join a club, find a trainning mate, if not a coach. The time spent reinventing the wheel can be spent trainning.

I'm getting back into the sport after 20 yrs out, and forgot a lot of the basic. So I can shoot six consecutive, well grouped X and a 6 in the seventh shot. The routine is not back.

Have fun.
Oz

Post by Oz »

That's great! Congrats, that is an accomplishment. Join USA Shooting, go to a few matches and get ranked :)

Unfortunately, I don't have much perspective. I can tell you that I had a conversation with one of the top AP guys in Utah. He did some time in Colorado Springs. He mentioned that world-class training for the highest levels of competition could require 4+ hours per day. Much of that is dry-fire. Are you going for >575 ;) ?

I can't imagine what that must be like, but as jacques b gros mentioned, you could wind up spending time working on the wrong things if you don't have someone to provide an outside perspective.

BTW - With what equipment did you set this personal best?

Oz
edster99

One Year

Post by edster99 »

I've now been shooting 10m AP for a year and i've got to 558 (3 times) and had a few 190/200. This forum has helped me a lot!! As there are no coaches in a sensible distance that I can find, and I am still making decent progress I am happy to stick with practice and concentrating on those fundamentals. I can say from my experience that a) fitting the grip to my hand (with plasticine), b) getting the trigger position right and c) adjusting the grip so the natural alignment of the sights is good have been very helpful. But more than any of these things - align, align, align and 'in the background' tell your finger to squeeze. When I do that, its 10's all the way. Its doing it that is tricky!! I have a few open shoots to go to over the next few weeks, so I am looking to shoot in those like I do at the range and put in a comp PB ( >546). BTW I am 40, and have never done pistol before. I think that helps as I have had no real preconceptions as to how it should be done.

PB of 562 in comp on Saturday!!
Last edited by edster99 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I am shooting with Daisy 747 and Baikal 46M, lower end of the 10m pistols.

I think my goal is to shoot in the 540's or average of 9.

I don't have big goal and I have no desire to put in much time for "training". I just want to be able to plink with an average of 9.

Just want to be able to raise the pistol, lower, align, attention on the front sight, lock onto target, slow trigger pull with count to five, surprise shot at 5-6 count, have the awareness not to prolong once count get up to 8, no shame to start over.

Presently shooting 510's, able to get to 530's. Will be happy if I can shoot 540's on a regular basis.
donthc.

Post by donthc. »

Anonymous wrote:I am shooting with Daisy 747 and Baikal 46M, lower end of the 10m pistols.

I think my goal is to shoot in the 540's or average of 9.

I don't have big goal and I have no desire to put in much time for "training". I just want to be able to plink with an average of 9.

Just want to be able to raise the pistol, lower, align, attention on the front sight, lock onto target, slow trigger pull with count to five, surprise shot at 5-6 count, have the awareness not to prolong once count get up to 8, no shame to start over.

Presently shooting 510's, able to get to 530's. Will be happy if I can shoot 540's on a regular basis.
well, if you want to hit consistent 540s, you sure have to put in constant hardwork. its not easy.

just say that instead of reaching a constant standard(that's not really possible), with more training, you will find it easier to shoot scores close to your PB.
still struggling to hit 550s comp score.
edster99

Post by edster99 »

make sure you work smart as well as hard - just hard work putting it in the wrong direction is worse than nothing at all... I always assume I know nothing and keep reading the forums. I find it amazing how hard it is to have a really clear idea of what i want to do!