Shooting an AP to improve BE shooting.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bentrod

Shooting an AP to improve BE shooting.

Post by bentrod »

I am a new BE pistol shooter, today I ordered an IZH 46M from the site sponsor primarily to learn to shoot a pistol and port these skills to BE.

I have read quit a bit on the Olympic form regarding AP and I am quite sure these techniques will help with my BE shooting. Now, how do I do this? Is one approach more productive than another?

I don't know what a shot plan is or how it is executed, or even how to use the score book. I shot HP rifle in the Army for the 82nd Abn. back in the '60's, so I have an idea how this works, but the pistol score book make little sense to me.

Jim
MSC

Post by MSC »

This topic probably belongs in the Bullseye Pistol forum, but anyway...
I started out with a Daisy 717 in my basement, thoroughly reading and practicing the concepts here: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm
I made pretty good progress, and after 7 or 8 months stumbled upon an air pistol league at a local range. Shot the latter half of their season, then got talked into trying Bullseye.
Having developed a good slow-fire routine with the AP, I shot fairly well from the get-go at Bullseye. Far better than any of the folks that jump right into it. The timed and rapid portions are a bit intimidating your first couple times, but you soon realize they're just an accelerated version of your slow-fire. A year into Bullseye now, timed fire seems like an eternity, and even rapid fire seems way more than long enough. International Rapid Fire is where the real challenge is!
Sorry for straying from your question... But I believe the reading above will give you some guidelines as to shot process for all 3 phases of BE. And like anything, there is no universal routine. You do what works best for you through trial and error. Stop by a league night somewhere and express your interest. I'm sure they'd be glad to let you try a relay or two. Shoot a 90+ slowfire and they'll probably try to recruit you on the spot!
Hope my rambling helps some!
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

my own biased opinion....

shoot the air pistol to shoot the air pistol, use a true 10m target and 10m and pretend you're in the olympics and shoot every shot like you mean it. enter an air pistol match from time to time...

That cross training will make you better at Bullseye

When you are training for bullseye, take that 1911 (unloaded) and stand one foot away from a white wall, focus on the front sight till you can see the crystalline grain structure of the metal of the front sight and dry fire perfect trigger control and follow through until you wear callouses on your fingers, repeat daily.

I believe dry fire will be more valuable than live fire

and dry firing the bullseye pistol will be more valuable than live firing the air pistol.

but that's just my opinion.

Poole