Trigger position for long fingers

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

maestro

Trigger position for long fingers

Post by maestro »

I have big hands and long fingers. Where should I set the trigger blade?

- Tec-HRO says that I should be set to side, where my fingers comfortable and tensionless are.
- MEC-Shot says that the trigger blade shall always be in the middle, right under the barrel.

What do you think, what is the more important aspect? To feel more comfortable, or to have it exactly under the barrel axis?
Thank you!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would always advocate having the trigger set where a straight pull is in line with the barrel. Can you not move the blade forwards so that your finger tip is perpendicular to the barrel - i.e. so it pulls straight back ? Remember any 'off centre alignment' can result in triggering errors to the left or right.

Rob.
maestro

Post by maestro »

RobStubbs wrote:Can you not move the blade forwards so that your finger tip is perpendicular to the barrel
My problem exactly is, that I have a FWB rifle with has two parallel blade rails, instead one in the middle. If the blade is on the left rail, it feels comfortable for my long finger, but - as you say too - the blade is not below the barrel. If I would use a MEC trigger, I could set the blade to be in the middle under the barrel, but my fingers would have some tension, and as the TEC website says, it can result errors too.

That's my problem: to decide, which is the more important thing that I should consider when I set the blade position. So, do you say that I should prefer the MEC theory and set the blade under the barrel, and set it comfortable only with forwards-backwards positioning?
squiggly007

trigger

Post by squiggly007 »

Set it to be comfortable. If you aren't jerking the trigger (which you shouldn't be) than you don't have to worry about barrel movement.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Put it where its comfortable. If having it centered under the barrel keeps it too close, you chance curling your finger around the trigger blade and jerking it to the right.
2650 Plus

Finger position on the trigger

Post by 2650 Plus »

Consider stuffing your trigger finger in until the second joint is appling the pressure straight to the rear and straight back along the axis of the barrel. One of my shooting heros won both free pistol and rapid fire gold doing it that way, he had hugh hands and completely engulfied the pistol grip. His name was Huelet 'Joe " Benner That olympic gold my friends. Good Shooting Bill Horton
methosb

Post by methosb »

I have the same problem, very long fingers. I cannot simply put the blade further forward as it is still not far enough forward at the very limit. I have the TEC HRO point trigger blade and I offset the blade out to the left because I don't feel comfortable with the trigger further in than the end of my finger. My trigger is fairly light so I don't think I have experienced any problems with having it offset.
WarWagon

Re: Finger position on the trigger

Post by WarWagon »

2650 Plus wrote:Consider stuffing your trigger finger in until the second joint is appling the pressure straight to the rear and straight back along the axis of the barrel. One of my shooting heros won both free pistol and rapid fire gold doing it that way, he had hugh hands and completely engulfied the pistol grip. His name was Huelet 'Joe " Benner That olympic gold my friends. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Mind you, that is easier to do with a pistol than a rifle. With a rifle, your hand grips at a slight angle coming in from the side, versus being directly inline as with a pistol.
2650 Plus

Finger position on the trigger

Post by 2650 Plus »

War wagon I admit that you are most correct on the finger position with a rifle. My hand is medium in size and I have no problems getting a straight back pull on the trigger. I do have to be careful not to drag wood or alliuminum as the case may be. Pistols are a different kettle of fish but most fundamentals dont change much . Even the shotgun is more simular than different in my opinion. Good shooting Bill Horton
xcrunner8k

Post by xcrunner8k »

i had this problem... my trigger was all the way forward and the grip a good ways back. my solution was to angle the grip away from the trigger to obtain the greater reach. this is obviously only possible with the aluminum stock, so for those with wood stocks i would say bring the trigger as far forward as possible and angle it out just enough so you don't feel like the finger is going diagonally across the trigger. i'm thinking no more than 15 degrees. if you're desperate you can try gripping differently, so that the fingers don't quite wrap all the way around.

when i made the grip adjustment my wrist actually fell into a better position than before; i imagine though a proper trigger reach would outweigh a slight kink in the wrist if that was the case.

dan m.
pwh

Post by pwh »

The FWB 700 has has two parallel blade rails and that might very well be what maestro is referring to. I have the same rifle and also very long fingers.

With the infinite amount of adjustments to the trigger and the grip it shouldn't be hard to find a comfortable position. Being right handed I also have the trigger on the left rail and very slightly turned outwards to the left. I can't see any reason why the trigger would have to be in line with the barrel considering the very light trigger pull. If it were set to a higher trigger weight I could then indeed see where some problems could arise as to shooting either left or right.

~Phil