critiquing the perfect score. Katrina Emmons

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

coolcruiser

critiquing the perfect score. Katrina Emmons

Post by coolcruiser »

Watching Katie shoot was a real pleasure. How could she do so well?...., such skill, such poise, such excellence! At the risk of speaking presumptuously, I noticed a couple of things that she did that I wondered about.
1. support hand, left hand fingers had some loose motion as she set up her shots. This was visible close to the overlay of the target as we waited for her shot to be scored electronically. Obviously Katie has nearly perfect control but she did drop a few tenths in the course of the shoot off (I could wish to be so good!)
2. looking away...more than once...after "start". This intrigued me that she seemed to be settling her inner position in this manner. My thoughts were "whoa, she is losing focus and time" Once again, Katie has a scheme that works very well for her..patience, focus, settle in, shoot.
Any thoughts or other observations?
CC
2650 Plus

Mrs Emmons and perfection

Post by 2650 Plus »

I was struck by the position she uses. The extreme back bend and twist seems to have gone out of style among most of the Europeans. also the foot position was closer than many use today. I would bet that the position she uses would bring back fond memories to Gary Anderson.even considering that Gary is a lefty. Sort of a mirrow image as I study the position. Good Shooting lady, you did the whole world proud.Such perfection can only be admired. I do remember a world champion that once remarked the his wife is a champion shooter in her own right and that he would not have married her should the case be different. Matt is also to be congratulated for such good sense in marring this fine lady. Good Shooting Bill Horton
pwh

Post by pwh »

Yes, I also noticed the extreme outward thrust of her left hip but if it works....don't fix it!
If I tried that at the age of 61 I wouldn't be able to walk for a month!

~Phil
Guest10001

A great performance, but...

Post by Guest10001 »

... the Finals event is still boring as hell. The audience was not involved (maybe because the Chinese shooter was not doing well). I swear I could see people in the crowds yawning, or at least act as if they didn't have a clue. Put yourself in the shoes of an outsider or someone watching TV: boring.

OK, feel free to argue, but if rifle shooting is to make it for long in the Olympics, this Finals thing somehow needs to be more interactive so the audience can follow it. And only at the Olympics.

By the way, go Czech Republic and the Emmons family!
pwh

Post by pwh »

Oh I don't know! Gun shooting sports has been in the Olympics since 1896!
Lets face it, it all depends upon what one is interested in. If I had no idea what was going on I would be bored to. Take a look at the archery and fencing events. Talk about just a handful of people! I thought it (air rifle) was rather good and heard some very enthusiastic cheering going on after each shot.
Are you sure your sound wasn't off?
I think one has to keep things in perspective as to various sports and audience/attendance/participation. Obviously it will never be in comparison to such events as swimming, basketball, gymnastics etc. but as said....perspective in relation to the particular sport and how many actually know about and or, participate it in their every day lives.

~Phil
BJ

Post by BJ »

I was soo happy to see Katie Emmons win the Gold!!

Someone mentioned how she looks away a couple times before she takes the shot and was wondering what this was. Now I can't say for sure that this is what she's doing but I'm pretty sure she's perfecting her natural point of aim and settling down. One of my coaches suggested I do the same thing about 8 months ago and it works wonders. You let the gun settle on the target without looking through the sights so you get a true idea of your NPA. Then you look down you sights and if its good you take the shot. Otherwise you adjust and do it all over agian. It takes a ton of skill though to do this and well I'm nowhere close to being even half as good as Katie is at it :) When I was at Fort Benning for the USA Shooting nationals I got to see her and Matt shoot the air rifle finals and they both do the look away thing. I wonder who learned it from who?

BJ
pwh

Post by pwh »

Well they certainly aren't alone in "looking away". I've seen dozens of world class shooters do the same thing. So much so that I actually never really payed much attention to it. Then again who cares......it works for her and that's all that really matters no matter what her reasoning behind it is! If she feels the need to do so (as many shooters do) than so be it. If she felt the need to stick her finger in ear between and before each shot and comes home with a gold medal then that is what works for her!

~Phil
coolcruiser

Post by coolcruiser »

pwh wrote:Well they certainly aren't alone in "looking away". I've seen dozens of world class shooters do the same thing. So much so that I actually never really payed much attention to it. Then again who cares......it works for her and that's all that really matters no matter what her reasoning behind it is! If she feels the need to do so (as many shooters do) than so be it. If she felt the need to stick her finger in ear between and before each shot and comes home with a gold medal then that is what works for her!

~Phil
Phil
You are missing the point here. This thread is meant to be a critique of a perfect performance. Our opinions may vary over how important any particular aspect of Katies' shooting is, but here we are addressing technical realities. Obviously we were seeing this through the lens of a camera so our perspective is limited but we can see some of the details of this fine performance.
I appreciate the observation made about "looking away". It seems to make sense that she would allow her NPA to settle and then proceed with the shot, although the physical act of "looking away" would seem to require a physical motion that might distract in a way that simply "closing the eyes momentarily" would not distract.
pwh

Post by pwh »

I was simply pointing out the fact that I've seen many shooters turn their heads/look away or, however one wishes to describe the action, and close there eyes momentarily.
It was just an observation on my part as to this not at all being unusual when watching world class shooters.

My comment about placing ones finger in their ear was admittedly a tad glib but I was only trying to make a point as to whatever works for the shooter.
Evidently what Katerina does or, does not do, seems to work for her. I only critique silver and bronze.....never GOLD! Sorry, just being a bit glib again. lol

~Phil