Foggy Lenses

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dlinden

Foggy Lenses

Post by dlinden »

Can anybody provide a solution or specific product to prevent the problem of glasses that fog in higher humidity conditions without degrading optical clarity? Surely I must not be the only one.

Dennis
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Hi Dennis,

I'm afraid this won't be as helpful as I would like, but maybe of some use.

I use a paste type cleaner I got an awful lot of years ago (>10). It was being sold by a sidewalk type vendor. It works well for cleaning and, if applied three times, one right after the other, it also keeps them from fogging. The trouble is that there is little info left on the label after all these years and although I copied it into a text file because it was wearing away, that text file seems to be eluding me.

For what it's worth, the product was called Christian Optical Cleaner. It was sold in 35mm film canisters with a product label around the outside. The address had Lithonia, GA 30058 in it. I can't read much of the street portion. The phone number is too incomplete to be useful. I don't even know if the product is still around.

Sorry to be of such little help. If I can find the note I made, I'll post again to this thread. Maybe another paste type cleaner might be useful, but note that for mine, it did state that it needed to be applied three times and I've proven that it does not work with less applications.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Any SCUBA or Ski store will have various no-fog solutions (or greases or cloths). It looks pretty funny, but the hat with a fan in the brim is another possibility but I would be worried about my eyes getting dry.

Best,

Joe
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

I use this stuff called "CAT CRAP" it's for lens cleaning and anti-fog.
I think it works great.

It's a little like a wax and all you have to do is apply it and buff it off, it cleans it and makes it (for the lack of a better term) fog resistant.

CAT CRAP info:
E.K. EKCESSORIES, INC.
575 W. 3200 S. Logan Utah.
Phone: (435)-753-8448
www.ekusa.com

Brian
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Thanks for each of the suggestions. I should have just turned on the overhead fan. Ed - Do you remember the sidewalk you were walking down? Just kidding..actually, I live very near Lithonia, Ga. I will check out the leads. Dennis
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Most optometrists will carry an anti-fog cure that will not damage the lens material of glasses (less of a consideration for scuba glass)

Spencer
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

A scuba-diving friend tells me that rubbing the glass with a raw potato, or peeing on it, are both effective anti-fog methods. I think you are supposed to rinse the glass afterwards. I'm sure you will be glad to follow the advice previously given - these strategies could cause funny looks on the range!
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

I had heard of spitting (and rinsing) to keep SCUBA masks fog-free, but peeing????? Not sure why that would even work since there is not much other than albumin in pee that might bind to glass/plastic I could think. Not likely to try this any time soon, either.

Maybe, the way it works is: You pee in the mask; nobody wants to wear that mask (including the pee-er); mask stays fogfree!

Best,

Joe