Avenger 1911 - any thoughts

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Brian James

Avenger 1911 - any thoughts

Post by Brian James »

I came across this product several months ago and then forgot about it. I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about it. A fixed barrel 1911 is an interesting idea.

Check it out.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html

Brian
Fred Mannis

Re: Avenger 1911 - any thoughts

Post by Fred Mannis »

Brian James wrote:I came across this product several months ago and then forgot about it. I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about it. A fixed barrel 1911 is an interesting idea.

Check it out.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html

Brian
The Avenger was introduced over four years ago. It is a delayed blowback action and was quite expensive (~$850). It never caught on in either action or Bullseye shooting presumably because it lacked both accuracy and reliable functioning. I recall some discussion on Bullseye-L a while ago and nobody liked it. One comment from the HighRoad: "That thing is so ugly, it would make a Glock run home to its momma!" A solution to a non existing problem. On the other hand, Ed Masaki's new 'Dragon Gun' seems to have attracted a lot of attention and praise from bullseye shooters. I think this is a gas operated action that offers significant recoil reduction. The waiting list is said to be approaching two years!
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Fred,

I am out of the loop, I thought the Avenger was just in the process of being released. I spoke with the designer of it, and said they where doing some trials, but perhaps thats to sort out the problems you listed in you message.

Thanks for the quick feedback

Brian
2650 Plus

45 Pistols

Post by 2650 Plus »

If you can afford the high priced spread, go for the Strahan gun sold by our host. They not only can stay inside the X ring if you do your part but function flawlessly. Also see what Hershel Anderson has to say about them. Good Shooting Bill Horton
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

To my knowledge the Avenger has been within a few months of production for more than 5 years. I called them 2 years ago and it was going to be in full production in September... of 2006.

I see they have taken the accuracy claims off the web site. They used to have targets to show the accuracy, as I recall they were all shot at 25 yards.

I like the idea of a fixed barrel with the sights attached directly, but I am skeptical that the Avenger will be available any time soon, at a reasonable cost or that it will be accurate enough for bullseye. I hope I am wrong.

Best regards,
Steve Turner
Ernie Rodriguez

Hogue Avenger 45 ACP Test

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Just installed a 5" H-A conversion unit on my target pistol lower.Only broke it in for 130 shots-so far.Only ammo used was cast/swaged SWC at target velocities using BE and VV N310 powder.Impression:Quality,fit,finish,design concept,installation ease and functioning-SUPERB. This is a LEVER delayed blow back system with the bbl attached to frame via a special block.Installation allows a zero V&H movement of block/bbl via shim and minor hand fitting.Rear sights are adj for W&E and front sight inappropriate for BE competition shooting.The Hogue Gunsmith said he will send me a blade gun sight for the front.Off hand accuracy was excellent(considering the front combat sight) and no malfunctions occurred-empty shell ejection was excellent.I think this unit is inherently very accurate-due to the BarSto match BULL bbl,the bbl mounting system and free floating feature of bbl. Pistol balance-similar to a 1911 with a rib on it.Rotational torque seems less to me because of the very quick cyclical action. Recoil and second shot recovery time seem less also because less mass is involved in the cycling action. Since there is a picatinny rail on the H-A unit I will be doing scope sand bag testing using a 6X quality scope, The following week I will be testing this combination with my Ransom rest.I will be using 200 gr cast/swaged bullets and Federal GM Target bullets(185 gr FMJ SWC) as a reference. Cheers
Attachments
FINAL-VERSION.jpg
H-A #3.jpg
Last edited by Ernie Rodriguez on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

nice looking gun to me keep us posted as to accuracy and reliability.
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

I think a lot of the negative reaction to the Avenger has been due to its appearance and to the many delays between its introduction and its availability for purchase. So few people have had the chance to actually shoot one that we can only guess how it might perform.

Ernie, how did you get yours?
Ernie Rodriguez

Hogue Avenger-45ACP

I found a dealer that had one at a decent price-<opticsplanet> and it was no tax and free delivery.Shot pistol for 60 more shots-works fine-seems to me it is inherently accurate. I am going to install a 6X target scope on it and do some sandbag test at 25yds but mainly at 50 yards. Hope it is as accurate as my other target pistols.Cheers
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

A previous poster said the 850.00 price tag was pricy, guess the 2011 price of 1395.00 would curl his hair. LOL For that kind of price i doubt they sell a huge amount considering a match grade lower will run 600-800.00, for that kind of money you could buy a very accurate wad gun from Les Bare and have money for a dot and other items left over.
Ernie Rodriguez

Hogue Avenger 25yd Accuracy

Firstly-I think you can get this unit from-opticsplanet for around 1k IF THEY HAVE ANY. Attached scope today to the H-A and used sand Bags.This pistol shoots as good as any of my other custom pistols.With 200 gr cast SWC and Zero's I got groups from .6 to 1.5". These bullets were visually checked and NO load developement performed(varying powder weight) and at 25 yards only.I will cast a batch of the better performing bullets and weigh them for a serious test.At a quick glance-BE,N310 and Clay seem to be the powders of choice with 200 gr slightly besting the 185's. The Avenger is still tight as a drum and in my experience,with load developement is an "X" ring pistol at 50 yards. Cheers Ernie
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Well if they have it I could not find it listed. I would be interested at 1k but not 1400.00
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

After the accuracy testing, I'd like to hear how well it performs in some sustained fire drills.