replacing buffers in hammerli sp20

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
phil in oz

replacing buffers in hammerli sp20

Post by phil in oz »

I have a broken buffer screw . Is it a big job to replace the buffer on the sp20/32 can i do it myself or is it a gunsmith job can anyone help?
randy1952

help

Post by randy1952 »

Try calling Larry's Gun for advise they are or were the authorized Hammerli repair center for the US for Hammerli. However, it has been a few years since he has had to repair my SP20. If there is a way to fix it yourself he will tell you and if necessary he can send you the part. He has fixed my SP20 a couple of times.
Nev C

Re: replacing buffers in hammerli sp20

Post by Nev C »

phil in oz wrote:I have a broken buffer screw . Is it a big job to replace the buffer on the sp20/32 can i do it myself or is it a gunsmith job can anyone help?
Go to a hardware store and buy the same screw ( M4 X 12 ) for a few cents, if you get one from a Hammerli dealer they will rip you off.
Mine broke a few months ago and I just went to my local hardware shop.
You have to drift out the pin that secures the trigger assembly to the receiver, and I think from memory you also have to drift out the pin that secures the rear sight assembly. The buffer then can be removed from the receiver. Remove the broken screw and and reverse the procedure.
Earlyriser

Replace buffer screw in SP20

Post by Earlyriser »

Larry's Guns found that a broken buffer screw was cause of my many misfires.
The replacement was expensive and total labor a shock but the real downer was that Larry had my gun for three months!
I recommend paying the Hammerli price for a replacementnt ($8.00) but install it yourself. Follow Hammerli instructions for initial setting,
Nev C

Re: Replace buffer screw in SP20

Post by Nev C »

Earlyriser wrote:Larry's Guns found that a broken buffer screw was cause of my many misfires.
The replacement was expensive and total labor a shock but the real downer was that Larry had my gun for three months!
I recommend paying the Hammerli price for a replacementnt ($8.00) but install it yourself. Follow Hammerli instructions for initial setting,
Fix it yourself for a few cents, read my post about doing this, it is a simple procedure. The same screw that the Hammerli dealers charge $8 for can be bought at a hardware store for a few cents.
Phil in oz

problem fixed

Post by Phil in oz »

Thank's for all your help . I managed to drill and remove the broken screw without removing the rear sight and replaced it with a 30cent screw from the nut & bolt store , thanks again
Nev C

Good result

Post by Nev C »

Nicely done Phil, I know if you buy the same screw from a Hammerli dealer it costs a lot more, I think in Oz it's about $10, quite a mark up!