A stressed and pressured situation!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mellberg

A stressed and pressured situation!

Post by Mellberg »

Holy sh-t, have you seen the finals in the womens air pistol from china? If not, you must go to http://www.issf.tv and take a look! The 10'th shot in the final is a really interesting one!

I've been in some stressful situations, but that is one nervous moment! =)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Ouch, that hurts.

Amazing to note that 3 384s didn't even make the final and the 1st position after the qualiier was only 4 points ahead of 21st. That was a close competition.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Maybe the women should begin shooting 60 shot matches . . .

Steve
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Steve Swartz wrote:Maybe the women should begin shooting 60 shot matches . . .

Steve
Isn't 40 vs 60 shots in WAP another discussion? Or would the mental pressure when shooting finals be any different if women shot 60 shots in the qualifyer?

br,
Ralf
Fred.Mannis

Post by Fred.Mannis »

What an incredible final. When I saw her muzzle begin to move, with only ~20sec remaining, I knew it was over.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

60 shots in WAP will cause a greater spread between competitors.
Not many Morini here, is there?

Kent
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Yes, Kent, exactly- increased spread *although* from a "drama" standpoint maybe the men should begin shooting 40 shots!

The Morini issue boils down to the marketing of the "short" version in my mind. Due to "inertia" with competitors and their equipment, for a new pistol to get traction it usually takes (at minimum) a "generation" (ie the time between a junior becoming an olympian) for the new equipment to show up at world cups. Has the 162 Shorty been out long enough for a 14 year old to turn 21 and be competitive at WC level? The influence of coaches slows the adoption process down even further . . . a young shooter will typically switch to whatever his/her coach or national team coach is recommending.

The bottom line with equipment adoption is not striclty a matter of "which is best;" since the top guns offer very similar performance characteristics in the first place.

Steve
jipe

Post by jipe »

I counted 4 Steyr LP10 (Jesna Sekaric used her "gold" LP10: http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/crm/pub ... scarlet.be), two LP1, one FWB P44 and one Pardini. I think it was the new Pardini K10.

The scores were indeed amazing: 2 time 386, 5 time 385 and one 384: only two points of difference and seven of the eight finalist within one point.

The result of the final was also amazing: 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th places with only 0.1 point difference !
MDK

Post by MDK »

Great final. And the "old" LP1 still winning medals (bronze).
Mike Taylor

ISSF-TV

Post by Mike Taylor »

OK, I clicked on the link to ISSF-TV, but each time I run the video it stops just before the fourth shot (just over 28 minutes from the beginning of the video). What do I do to get the full 10 shots of the final? Is it just my lack of computer skills or a harware problem or ...?
Mike T.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

The current run-time format for the ISSF TV is a pain.
- The lead-in runs too long and is on EVERY event
- The conversation section before the shots are fired is too long (particularly after the lead-in)
- There is no Fast Forward, or Fast Back (that I can find) to jump to the bits you want to see/hear

Does anyone know how to save (and edit) the file? That way I could get to the bits I want (i.e. the shooting).

Spencer
jimsoars

Post by jimsoars »

After I watched the AP finals I fired up the AR video then put it in pause and left. The system will continue to buffer the file locally for viewing. You can then come back later and click on different parts of the progress bar to start the video in different places.
Jim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Even better is the Mens Air Final, Gontcharov shoots a 6.4 and stills takes second place.

Just goes to show that you should never give up.

Mike
jipe

Post by jipe »

Globally, the scores in the final of all competitors in AP (men and women) wheren't that high and many shooters made some poor shots (one or even two 8.x in the final 10 shots) what usually doesn't happen in WC finals.

Probably the pressure or also something to do with the shooting range itself ?
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

The scores in FP are much higher! 571 and 570 in the lead and overall (except perhaps Ekimov) good final scores with one shooter @ 101,0 points!
MG2-owner

Daryl achieved best 10 shot string i Beijing, 99 pts !

Post by MG2-owner »

Daryls hands very steady in Beijing today:

SZARENSKI, Daryl USA 94 95 99 91 97 94 570

Note that 3rd 10-shot string, 99 pts. Impressive.
No other competitor was able to equal or better that.

Daryl got a "flyer" in the finals, which dropped him down to 3rd position.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Just curious . . . does anyone know if Darryl is shooting one of the AMU-built FrankenToz designs?

Steve
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Steve Swartz wrote:Just curious . . . does anyone know if Darryl is shooting one of the AMU-built FrankenToz designs?

Steve
Yes he is. Toz action with (I believe) an Anschutz barrel. I had a chance to handle it during the FP clinic at Benning last year. Great balance - for those that do not like a muzzle heavy pistol. Lighter than a Morini.

Fred
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

jipe wrote:Globally, the scores in the final of all competitors in AP (men and women) wheren't that high and many shooters made some poor shots (one or even two 8.x in the final 10 shots) what usually doesn't happen in WC finals.

Probably the pressure or also something to do with the shooting range itself ?
Probably has more to do with where the WC's are fitting in their training plan. Most of the top athletes are training to peak at the Olympics so these WC's, if they attend, are more training than anything else.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for the link Mellberg. I recently switched from dial-up to broadband cable. I was able for the first time to watch a finals! It was really an education. The pressure for those shooters is enormous.