Larger bloop tube collar? need 1.025"

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Telecomtodd

Larger bloop tube collar? need 1.025"

Post by Telecomtodd »

Finally received a long-awaited (and paid-for) A-1913 from one of the most inept local FFL transfer gun shops that I have ever dealt with.

While putting the equipment together, I went to put on my bloop tube that was supposed to fit the barrel. It doesn't; I ended up mic'ing the barrel and it's 1.025 diameter, larger than the 1.013 as planned. Anyone have an idea where I could find a larger collar? I'd prefer not to have to pay for a specially machined part to attach an inexpensive tube.

Todd Ellis
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Try Champions Choice. Either that, or any machine shop could open it right up for you.

Post by Guest »

i second machine shop.

Post by Guest »

www.nealjguns.com

you tell them what the diameter of your barrel is and they send you the collar and the tube to fit it
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Since I already had the tube, someone suggested I call Scott Medesha at Medesha Firearms. I gave him all of the dimensions and he's making a collar for me. In the meantime, I'll probably order a red one for my son's rifle, he's suddenly got the idea that red is the best color in the world.

http://www.medeshafirearms.com/Extension%20Tubes.htm
Attachments
banner_home4.jpg
banner_home4.jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Stay on top of that, he is famous for taking FOREVER to deliver items.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

How do you guys like Medesha bloob tubes. I have one made by ESP and its pretty good. Theres a little bit of difference each time i put it on but not bad.

lax
WarWagon

Re: hey

Post by WarWagon »

laxratnd wrote:How do you guys like Medesha bloob tubes. I have one made by ESP and its pretty good. Theres a little bit of difference each time i put it on but not bad.

lax
I have the Medesha tube. I've had two problems with them. First, the indexing pin has finally loosened itself up after several years of use.

The other issue I had was with the airline. Basically, they managed to drop my rifle, breaking a Pelican case, and despite the 6" of surrounding foam, they pushed the collar back onto my barrel.

Basically, once you have it sighted in, if it ever is unclamped from the barrel or rotated at all, your zero is way the heck off. What I did after that incident, was to mill a slight notch in the back of the collar where it slides over the barrel. I leave one front sight block screw in the barrel, and this slips into that notch for indexing. Once that happened, I had no issues other than the press fit pin working its way out.

To be honest, I think I'd favor a one piece design. I haven't tested blocking off the area under the clamp, but I have seen some elite shooters who use the Medesha tube cover this area with electrical tape, presumably to keep any gas flow consistent.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

War,

Is the Zero pretty good one you take the tube on and off of the rifle. Iam not sure if that little bit of gas loss would make much of a difference. Every think about bedding the collar in if it kept moving on you. The one i have from ESP is a once piece, most that i see have been two piece i think.

lax.
WarWagon

Re: hey

Post by WarWagon »

laxratnd wrote:War,

Is the Zero pretty good one you take the tube on and off of the rifle. Iam not sure if that little bit of gas loss would make much of a difference. Every think about bedding the collar in if it kept moving on you. The one i have from ESP is a once piece, most that i see have been two piece i think.

lax.
No zero issues with taking the tube on and off if the barrel clamp stayed in place. If I was sighted in properly when I took it off, I'm usually within one to two clicks when it goes back on. Never thought about bedding it in, as I only ever had one issue with it, and that was due to the revolting handling of a firearm by the airlines. With that little half circle notch and the front sight screw to index it, I have no issues with the setup at all.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

war,

Hey thanks, i think ill give them a try, i emailed him about getting a price for one just waiting for an answer back. But ill try them out and see how i like them. Thanks

lax.
1813benny

bloop tubes

Post by 1813benny »

I have used a medesha tube on my rifle for over 14 years and not a single problem. I am actually going to order several more in the next month or so....

There are several things to remember regarding the use of a tube.

1. If you have gasses leaking thru the bottom of the collar, then you did not install it properly in the first place. To install the collar, first put the tube on the collar and tighten the clamp. Then install the collar onto the barrel. To ensure that you have the tube as close to vertical as possible, install your front sight w/ a spirit level on it and with the rifle in the vertical position (which can also be checked w/ a small level), rotate the collar until it is upright.

2. You have to take care of the tube just like any other piece of equipment. (I am not making any accusations here, just an observation.) The only thing that can get damaged on the tube is indeed the indexing pin, but if you wrap the tube w/ a towel after use before putting it into you shooting kit/bag/case, it will be fine.

3. Return to zero is still within 1-2 clicks.

4. No matter what manufacturer, remember not to overtighten the screws when you install the tube and/or collar. They will strip out the aluminum and then you have only have a few options regarding either repair or replacement.