Gehmann shooting frames

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

methosb

Gehmann shooting frames

Post by methosb »

Has anyone had much experience with Gehmann frames? I am having a difficult time choosing between them and Knoblochs. Unfortunately there is nowhere near where I can try them out, I can only go off what I can see from the pics and a couple of peoples' opinions. Was going to go with MEC frames but they are a bit out of my price range.

The Gehmanns are adjustable in arm length which is good since I can't try before I buy, but the build quality of the frame doesn't look as good as the Knoblochs.

Can anyone give me any advice or share their own (good or bad) experiences with Gehmanns and Knoblochs?
methosb

Post by methosb »

Or is the difference that much that I should save up to get the MECs?
methosb

Post by methosb »

Also I have a question. Is it better to have the lens close to your eye or close to the rear sight?

Most rifle shooters shoot with the lens just behind the rear sight, quite a distance from the eye. What is the reason for this?

The MEC catalogue contradicts this and says to have the lens very close, just in front of the eye lashes, where the lens of normal walking around glasses would be.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I have (but no longer use) gehman frames - but for pistol. Never had any complaints with them except I found the arms irritating over the ear. I now use champions.

Rob.
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Dear Methosb,

You ask:
“Most rifle shooters shoot with the lens just behind the rear sight, quite a distance from the eye. What is the reason for this? "
With the lens close to the rear sight you can pretty much use the lens as if it were "fixed" to the rear sight which is not allowed by the rules; this action will bring the very same focusing point every time...CONSISTENCY is the name of the game...

About The Frames...
My experience has been with MEC and Olympic Champion, both are made very flexible, adjustable and of top of the line materials...I switched from Knoblock to MEC and then bought the Olympic Champions' when I forgot them at home 600 miles away...

I will use either, but I feel a little more comfortable with MEC...Knoblock are OK for starters but MEC and Olympic Champion are serious business...

Regards,

AZUARO